As I passed the intersection of Kedzie and Franklin on my commute this morning, I noticed bollards have been added to recently-painted bike lanes.  I was in a rush, so didn't really get a chance to look at it very closely.

While I don't know that I've seen more than a handful of people riding on Franklin in the past ~4 years, I suspect that if nothing else this will slow down drivers in that stretch which in the past has done double duty as a drag strip.

Views: 628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Speeding is illegal in Chicago? Link?

Revenue Grab!

h' said:

FTW!

Tony Adams said:

Revenue Grab!

h' said:

I"m all for it -as long as it done by human beings and not by Halliburton or LAZ.

h' said:

FTW!

Tony Adams said:

Revenue Grab!

h' said:

Response from CDOT via Twitter on connections to Franklin: "Yes, that's why Kedzie and Sacramento are part of the SFC 2020 Plan. Franklin Blvd connections will soon be made."

CDOT rep is referring to a different section of Sacramento than the one being discussed, unless the "plan" I saw at the hearing I went  to has been significantly revised.

Anne Alt said:

Response from CDOT via Twitter on connections to Franklin: "Yes, that's why Kedzie and Sacramento are part of the SFC 2020 Plan. Franklin Blvd connections will soon be made."

The draft plan shows a Sacramento connection going north to Humboldt Park.  It also shows California north of Grand as a designated route, as well as Grand and Chicago continuing east from there.  I see at least one bike route location that's changed from the version I saw at one of the recent meetings, so Kedzie near Franklin may be a recent addition.

What completely irks me, and what I'm trying to get at, is that Sacramento is completely cut out between Roosevelt and Franklin.  The missing piece would be the absolute first place I would want to put a protected lane in that area. As if someone coming north on it through Douglas Park would be willing to casually divert a mile west to Independence and then back again to get to the north side via protected lanes.

I'm just shaking my head at this. I can see the value of connecting the boulevards with protected lanes as a recreational 'facility' for bike clubs and such, but there are so many other routes of so much more use to people who need safe ways to get to where they really need to go that need enhancement so much more urgently.

Minor aside-- Albany is shaded as a 'secondary' route across the Ike.  Does Albany have a bridge across 290, or is this just a mistake? That would be great news as I occasionally try to track side streets N/S between California and Kedzie.

This sure looks like a bridge on Albany crossing the Ike.  I haven't tried Albany in that area, but it's worth checking out as an alternative to the bigger streets.  On closer inspection, it looks like this is strictly a bike and ped bridge.

Cool-- guess I could have checked myself, thanks. For whatever reason I always seem to end up on Francisco but that leaves you with few option when you hit Congress on your way south.

There are similar ped/bike bridges at Lavergne, Kildare, and Springfield.  One concern I have is whether the approach to the Albany bridge and others is actually bike friendly.  If anyone checks this out in the near future, please report back about whether it's reasonable to take a bike through there, and whether the sightlines of this approach give you concerns about personal safety.

Several of those pedestrian bridges over the Eisenhower have steep ramps with tight 180° turns. They are covered in weeds and have broken concrete. They don't all have good curb cuts, nor transition areas (a sidewalk) to go from a ramp to a street. Check out Van Buren at Maplewood.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service