The Chainlink

I'd be interested to hear about new stations as they pop up.

I was excited to find a new station only 2 blocks from my house last night (a block closer than the planned location):

Views: 4516

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

2000 S California (Pink Line) was being installed this morning as I passed.

35th & Calumet

47th & Cottage Grove

51st & Cottage Grove

h $550, I hope your credit card is valid and you are not trying to pull a fast one. Thunder snow, was correct in that the Paris bike share system took a huge hit from vagrants w/ bogus cards.

El Dorado, I can assure you that h' $550 is not a vagrant, despite the appearance of his current screen ID pic.

Anyone add Blackhawk and Ashland? There is one there since maybe two weeks ago.

Yep.  September 28th.

http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/new-divvy-station-post-it-...

At this point, looking at the map, the Divvy network stretches from Berwyn on the north, Kedzie on the west, 58th on the south and 55th/Shore Drive on the east.  I'm guessing the station deployment will slow down from now until March or so, as we just closed down the huge Goose Island assembly warehouse this past Wednesday, furloughed the bulk of the assembly/deployment crew for the winter and consolidated in the too-small West Town operations center.  Though the skeleton crew did manage to get out three pre-built stations yesterday, so who knows?

Marco Rayos said:

Anyone add Blackhawk and Ashland? There is one there since maybe two weeks ago.

Was riding around Hyde Park and Bronzeville today and was pleasantly surprised at the number of Divvy stations I saw.

They need to get some up by Howard.

Yes.  And the Northwest, West, Southwest and Far South sides.  Current funding will get us 175 more stations by next summer (an additional 75 are rumored to have been added from the original plan), but that still leaves huge parts of Chicago unserved.  Both Evanston & Oak Park are applying for federal grants to get 8-10 Divvy stations within each city's borders and, if successful, I'd think there would be a push to extend northward from Loyola to Howard and westward through Austin, in order to not orphan those sub-systems.  Future corporate funding, like Citibank's funding of New York's bike share, will ultimately determine how far we can grow the system here.  Anyone at Groupon, Sears, Quaker Oats or McDonald's want to fund a bike share system?  Chicago could certainly use a few hundred more Divvy stations.

By contrast, read about San Francisco's struggle to roll out BABS (Bay Area Bike Share): http://sf.streetsblog.org/2013/10/17/shifting-direction-sfmta-bring...

They've got 35 stations in place, ALL in the financial district, so there's really no place to ride to.  So few are buying yearly memberships.  If you read the comments section at sf.streetsblog, they're forced to squabble over the crumbs of the next 15 stations, as to which neighborhood they might get placed in.  In contrast, Chicago did it right by rolling out 280 or 290 stations right off the bat, spread out over several miles.  There's much more to do, but at least there's a "critical mass" of bike stations to make Divvy useful, even if you can't get everywhere yet.

El Dorado said:

They need to get some up by Howard.

Ashland & Chicago Avenue

Would be super sweet if a Western ave station went in to bridge the gap between 21st St and Division before the curtain drops for the year.

Harrison would be the obvious location...

Too late. I called dibs already on the two missing Andersonville stations. You'll have to wait until spring...

h' $550 said:

Would be super sweet if a Western ave station went in to bridge the gap between 21st St and Division before the curtain drops for the year.

Harrison would be the obvious location...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service