The Chainlink

I am a newbie to commuting on my bike. My husband and I used to commute to work together but with a change in our schedules (thanks a lot CPS) I found myself without a car.Rather than take a bus and a train, I dusted off my bike and started riding to school. I've battled the rain, the horrible winds from Sandy but my biggest challenge so far has been the cold. Last Monday my hands were so cold it was painful. I have nylon liners and lobster claw gloves but they did nothing to prevent my hands from turning into frozen claws. Can anyone recommend gloves? I need to buy something this weekend as I've heard Tuesday and Wednesday are going to be chilly. (I've never been such an avid weather watcher!)

Thanks.

Views: 986

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Teresa,

There are some threads in the archives that have good information on this, including one or two recent ones.  I would use the following as a guideline:

-wool (unless you're allergic to it) for the base layer(s)

-a windproof layer (the lobster claw gloves you have probably are, though not all are.

-size up, so that you're not constricting blood flow with tight gloves.

-air in between layers is good

-make sure the fingers are long enough

I have perpetually cold hands, and it's been an iterative process for me. For the coldest weather, I wear Smartwool liners underneath insulated Gore-Tex ski/snowboarding gloves. They work pretty well, though I sometimes have cold hands anyway.

How thick are your lobster claws? My hands are on fire, I have thick lobster gloves that has 3 fingers together/thumb and pointer finger seperate. I do carry hand and toe warmers with me in the winter, just incase.

I bike 13 miles. How long is your ride?

Thanks. I'll look for wool liners and I may need to size up the lobster claws. I'm dreading Tuesday morning but it's better than waiting for the bus.

David P. said:

Teresa,

There are some threads in the archives that have good information on this, including one or two recent ones.  I would use the following as a guideline:

-wool (unless you're allergic to it) for the base layer(s)

-a windproof layer (the lobster claw gloves you have probably are, though not all are.

-size up, so that you're not constricting blood flow with tight gloves.

-air in between layers is good

-make sure the fingers are long enough

I have perpetually cold hands, and it's been an iterative process for me. For the coldest weather, I wear Smartwool liners underneath insulated Gore-Tex ski/snowboarding gloves. They work pretty well, though I sometimes have cold hands anyway.

Do you put the hand warmers in your palm? I may try that and shove them in the finger section. It's only 8 miles to my school. Not far but it seems like an eternity with cold fingers.

Lawrence Wong K said:

How thick are your lobster claws? My hands are on fire, I have thick lobster gloves that has 3 fingers together/thumb and pointer finger seperate. I do carry hand and toe warmers with me in the winter, just incase.

You'll find lots of ideas on this thread.  I also have cold hands and on the coldest days use nylon liners underneath down mittens.  I believe that even the best apparel has its limitations, in which case handwarmers (reusable or disposable) are incredibly helpful.  In Wilderness First Aid they taught us that in dire situations (or even at red lights) you can avoid frostbite by sticking your hands in the warmest body spots: back of the neck, armpits...

Follow this thread.....

I've also invested in heat packs....these look nice

If you're feeling like you'll need to ride in the winter ALOT.....rechargable heated gloves.....

Matt M. said:

Follow this thread.....

I put the warmers on top of my hand. If not it will restrict your movement. Those warmers get pretty hot! In the lobster gloves I put it in the 3 finger part. 8 miles is pretty good!

I have used mittens in the past, but they tend to restrict my hand movement to brake etc.

Teresa said:

Do you put the hand warmers in your palm? I may try that and shove them in the finger section. It's only 8 miles to my school. Not far but it seems like an eternity with cold fingers.

Lawrence Wong K said:

Certainly some good info in those old threads... but I'm baffled a bit by the OP.

I have mid-priced lobster gloves that came with liners, and I haven't had to use the liners once this year, and have had no trouble with cold hands.

Can I ask what brand of gloves? Is there a chance they were chosen a size too small to allow for finger movement within the gloves?

Bar Mitts

Matt M. said:

If you're feeling like you'll need to ride in the winter ALOT.....rechargable heated gloves.....

Matt M. said:

Follow this thread.....

I have alpaca mittens with a woven wool lining that I have been wearing under Lands End fleece mittens.  Believe it or not, the combination breaks the wind and I have not had cold hands yet this year.  I have not missed a day.  The combination is soft and flexible so I do not have any problem braking.  However, I also have a grip shifter, so do not know how difficult it would be with other types of shifters.

Even with this set-up I am thinking I might need the hand warmers on Monday and Tuesday. 

I have some hand warmers you can have.  I think I have 6 or so packets left.  If you are near Ravenswood tomorrow or downtown on Monday we can meet up and get you some.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service