The Chainlink

First person to correctly name the location of this bike rack will receive a Chainlink t-shirt (and anything else anyone would like to donate).

 

Past rack locations: 

Bike Rack #1

Bike Rack #2

Bike Rack #3

Bike Rack #4

 

 

Views: 636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Come on people, it's been 4 minutes.  Someone needs to know this one!

Whole Foods in Lincoln Park.

 

 

Duppie, you win again?

 

You must be good at this!

I do get around.

 

Oh, and my job is rather boring...

too easy...whole foods LP
I was actually impressed with the number the racks could hold.  Are there any other grocery stores that have that many racks in the city?

Jeff Schneider said:

This has to be one of the worst rack installations ever.  The racks are too close together for the interior ones to be used.

For a company that wants to project a "green" image, this Whole Foods sets a terrible example.  They have *400* car parking spots (indoors) and just a couple of (mostly unusable) bike racks.

And yet, it's head and shoulders above what almost any other retailer in Chicago provides, especially considering it was installed before the mandate in the 2006 building code revision.

Jeff Schneider said:

This has to be one of the worst rack installations ever.  The racks are too close together for the interior ones to be used.

I think that particular store has only been open since early 2009.

 

http://www.chicagofoodies.com/2009/05/lincoln-park-whole-foods-is-n...

 

h' said:

And yet, it's head and shoulders above what almost any other retailer in Chicago provides, especially considering it was installed before the mandate in the 2006 building code revision.

Jeff Schneider said:

This has to be one of the worst rack installations ever.  The racks are too close together for the interior ones to be used.

Maybe so,

But how many other grocery stores do you know where you can quaff a nice micro brew while you shop? I don't know of any other ones in the downtown area. That alone is reason enough to put up with crappy bike parking...


Jeff Schneider said:

This has to be one of the worst rack installations ever.  [...]

Jeff does has a point.  With SO MUCH car parking, it would be nice to see new businesses not only offering plentiful bike parking, but parking that is easy to get to and appropriate type of racks (which Whole Foods Lincoln Park does well, correct)?

 

It's a matter of looking at the glass half empty or half full.  And looking at the glass half empty isn't necessarily a bad thing if it helps encourage business owners to accommodate even more cyclists.

 

A definite conversation starter.

Thanks, none of the Whole Foods are really on my radar.

The mandate is one bike parking space per 6 auto spaces for larger retail centers.
Unfortunately absolutely nothing about type of parking and that it needs to be installed in such a way that it's actually usable was codified into the ordinance.

As we see here . . . 


Duppie said:

I think that particular store has only been open since early 2009.

 

http://www.chicagofoodies.com/2009/05/lincoln-park-whole-foods-is-n...

 

h' said:

And yet, it's head and shoulders above what almost any other retailer in Chicago provides, especially considering it was installed before the mandate in the 2006 building code revision.

Jeff Schneider said:

This has to be one of the worst rack installations ever.  The racks are too close together for the interior ones to be used.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service