Saturday night round 11pm my friend was riding north on damen. He stopped at the top of the overpass at 290 to wait for the lights to change so he wouldn't have to stop at those lights. Out of the shadows somebody ran at him and knocked him off his bike. This caused him to break his clavicle. By the time he hit the ground another person was on top of him taking his bag and bike. They tried to get into his pockets but he started kicking then and traffic had caught up by then and they were honking and stopped these aholes from getting anything else. The cops came and he said that they were very helpfull. He got an abulance to county and was out after a long wait with only the broken clavicle. They eneded up finding his bike at a nearby bar. This majorly sucks for him since he has no insurance. I know that some of you have had simular experiences and I have heard about the victum insurence that would help pay his hospital bills. I would appreciate any info that I could pass on to him about this.

Keep it safe out there and keep your eyes open.

Views: 514

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.defensedevices.com/bearpepspray.html

Tried and true.

Pablo said:
Anybody know where can I purchase bear spray?
Yeah, 2 blocks down and around the corner...

H3N3 said:
Maybe so, but I've seen them turn horrible corners into quiet corners many times now.

Chuck a Muck said:
Police cameras are a false sense of security, since they are not live monitored... Only after you have been beaten and robbed of your shit will they look at your blue light camera.. If then....
It's all smoke and mirrors folks...
Indoor vs outdoor shootings?
If it moves the action around the corner and down the block, away from the intersection where you've had problems, it can work in your favor.

H3N3 said:
Sometimes. But often 2 blocks down and around the corner doesn't work for whatever reason the "bad" corner was the meeting/hangout/watchpost/gateway/deal center and the action does just sort of 'go away.'

Chuck a Muck said:
Yeah, 2 blocks down and around the corner...

H3N3 said:
Maybe so, but I've seen them turn horrible corners into quiet corners many times now.

Chuck a Muck said:
Police cameras are a false sense of security, since they are not live monitored... Only after you have been beaten and robbed of your shit will they look at your blue light camera.. If then....
It's all smoke and mirrors folks...
Indoor vs outdoor shootings?
After reading the other posts Im seriously concidering this.

Michael A said:
here is one answer, just hope 2 blasts is enough......
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-accessories/20...
I found a video review of this product

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT_REVIEW&AR...'kimber'&RETURNLINK=%2Fza%2FCCY%3FPAGE%3DPRODUCT_REVIEWS%26QUERY%3Dkimber%26RETURN%3Dmain%20reviews%20page&PRODUCT_REVIEW_PAGE=&SEARCH_NAME=&QUERY_BRAND=

Davo said:
After reading the other posts Im seriously concidering this.

Michael A said:
here is one answer, just hope 2 blasts is enough......
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-accessories/20...
Click on this if you just don't wanna mess around...

...or you could go this route. Melt em down when yer done.

Pablo said:
Taser C2 in colors to match you powder-coated frame, Velocity Deep-V's or custom tires. No handlebar bag should be without one.

Dammit, I'll have to get two! (a red and a titanium)

Moc Artsy said:
Taser C2 in colors to match you powder-coated frame, Velocity Deep-V's or custom tires. No handlebar bag should be without one.

dudes:

MESSAGE FROM UIC POLICE

At 12:15 p.m. (5/31/10) at 716 S. Oakley, a UIC employee was the victim of an armed
robbery. The employee was approached from behind by two male offenders. The first
offender struck the victim on the left side of her head with a chrome-plated
semi-automatic pistol, causing the victim to fall to the ground. The offenders then
took the victim's shoulder bag containing her wallet, cell phone, cash,
identification card and other items, and fled on foot. The victim sustained a
laceration to the head and was transported to the Medical Center for treatment. A
search for the offenders by UIC Police and Chicago Police met with negative results.

The first offender is described as a slender black male, 18-20 years of age, wearing
a black jacket and black baseball cap. The second offender is described a black
male, 18-20 years old, wearing dark clothing and a backpack.
Sadly, UIC sends out messages like this at least once a week.

JD Churchill said:
dudes:

MESSAGE FROM UIC POLICE

At 12:15 p.m. (5/31/10) at 716 S. Oakley, a UIC employee was the victim of an armed
robbery. The employee was approached from behind by two male offenders. The first
offender struck the victim on the left side of her head with a chrome-plated
semi-automatic pistol, causing the victim to fall to the ground. The offenders then
took the victim's shoulder bag containing her wallet, cell phone, cash,
identification card and other items, and fled on foot. The victim sustained a
laceration to the head and was transported to the Medical Center for treatment. A
search for the offenders by UIC Police and Chicago Police met with negative results.

The first offender is described as a slender black male, 18-20 years of age, wearing
a black jacket and black baseball cap. The second offender is described a black
male, 18-20 years old, wearing dark clothing and a backpack.
Isn't the use of this quality of pepper spray a crime? I believe there is a reason why there is pepper spray intended for humans and then spray for larger prey animals.

T.C. O'Rourke said:

Tried and true.

Pablo said:
Oddly, no. That is unless you discharge it in a restaurant, bar or tavern. Pepper spray is pepper spray in the eyes of the Chicago Municipal Code, so you might as well pay up for the good stuff.

8-24-045 Noxious gas or liquid.

(a) No person shall use any device to discharge a noxious gas or liquid in an enclosed room in any Class C-1 or Class C-2 Assembly Unit, as defined in Chapter 13-56 of this Code, or in an enclosed room in any restaurant, bar or tavern that is a Class F Assembly Unit as defined in that chapter, if more than 20 persons are present in that room, unless the person is a peace officer, as defined in Section 8-20-30* of this Code, engaged in law enforcement activity. As used in this section, “noxious gas or liquid” means mace, pepper spray or any other substance that is intended or designed to cause irritation to the eyes, nose or mouth, or to cause nausea.

* Editor's note – As set forth in Coun. J. 4-9-03, p. 106797, § 1; correct cite appears to be § 8-20-030.

(b) Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor that is punishable by a fine $500.00, or 30 days imprisonment, or both, for each offense.

(Added Coun. J. 4-9-03, p. 106979, § 1)

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:
Isn't the use of this quality of pepper spray a crime? I believe there is a reason why there is pepper spray intended for humans and then spray for larger prey animals.
T.C. O'Rourke said:

Tried and true. Pablo said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service