The Chainlink

Metra is increasing the number of bikes allowed on its trains from three to five:


"Metra is expanding its Bikes on Trains program. Starting this Saturday, Metra is increasing the maximum number of bikes per train car from three to five, as long as there is room. The higher limit will be implemented during a one-year trial period, according to Metra spokesman Mike Gillis. The change will be made permanent if Metra decides it's working out."

Views: 810

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yippie!!!
I love this program. I use Metra almost every day. With a ten ride ticket it is actually cheaper than the CTA and I can get to work about 35 minutes vs. 1 hr and 10 minutes by bike.
I ride milwaukee west line everyday, and we never have limit to how many bikes can be in a car as long as they are not in the walk way. We easily have 5-9 every morning in one car. Our conductors are cool!
On the Rock Island, many of the conductors are very accommodating with bikes. I make a lot of Metra-bike combo trips and really appreciate the added flexibility they have offered since Metra first became part of the bike-and-transit picture.
Something that they use out in california that I think would be extremely beneficial on Metra are Bike Tags

http://www.caltrain.com/Bike_Tag_Info.html

Basically, you throw a tag on your bike saying what station you get off at so that the other bikers know when to come down and help shuffle bikes around so everyone gets off at the right time.
Great idea!

Ryan said:
Something that they use out in california that I think would be extremely beneficial on Metra are Bike Tags

http://www.caltrain.com/Bike_Tag_Info.html

Basically, you throw a tag on your bike saying what station you get off at so that the other bikers know when to come down and help shuffle bikes around so everyone gets off at the right time.

Update to an older discussion;

  Sometimes Metra allows more than five bikes in a car.

 Sunday 9/29/2013  a friend and I waited for a Metra train from Union Station to Aurora.  It was a gorgeous early fall day.   We arrived early to get two of the 10 bike spots.  We went to the first wheelchair/bike car, got on and we bungeed downed.  The next three bike parties asked if we were going all the way to Aurora.  After that the bikes kept coming.   The train pulled out of the station with, I think 12 bikes in our car.  The conductor came through later and was pleasant taking tickets.  My bike was last off and in good shape.  We had a wonderful ride on Fox River Trail and returned via Metra from Elgin.  I love Metra, I love bicycles, I love pleasant rides in the sun.

Suntimes link doesn't seem to be working anymore. Does anyone have an updated link?

Tom,

Take a look at the dates on the posts in this thread. Every post is from 2010. The thread was resurrected with the post prior to yours.

In other words, I don't think you'll find that story online anymore. 

Tom Z said:

Suntimes link doesn't seem to be working anymore. Does anyone have an updated link?

My bad...

Ha! One of the bikes in your picture is mine! (And I saw you taking that photo ;)



Elwood Gruschow said:

Update to an older discussion;

  Sometimes Metra allows more than five bikes in a car.

 Sunday 9/29/2013  a friend and I waited for a Metra train from Union Station to Aurora.  It was a gorgeous early fall day.   We arrived early to get two of the 10 bike spots.  We went to the first wheelchair/bike car, got on and we bungeed downed.  The next three bike parties asked if we were going all the way to Aurora.  After that the bikes kept coming.   The train pulled out of the station with, I think 12 bikes in our car.  The conductor came through later and was pleasant taking tickets.  My bike was last off and in good shape.  We had a wonderful ride on Fox River Trail and returned via Metra from Elgin.  I love Metra, I love bicycles, I love pleasant rides in the sun.

At first I thought that pic was yours Serge! I was puzzled when I didn't recognize the person posting but mystery solved after reading the post. I see my blue Schwinn in there too!  

That was a gorgeous day for a ride! Sunny and 65! 

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Ha! One of the bikes in your picture is mine! (And I saw you taking that photo ;)



Elwood Gruschow said:

Update to an older discussion;

  Sometimes Metra allows more than five bikes in a car.

 Sunday 9/29/2013  a friend and I waited for a Metra train from Union Station to Aurora.  It was a gorgeous early fall day.   We arrived early to get two of the 10 bike spots.  We went to the first wheelchair/bike car, got on and we bungeed downed.  The next three bike parties asked if we were going all the way to Aurora.  After that the bikes kept coming.   The train pulled out of the station with, I think 12 bikes in our car.  The conductor came through later and was pleasant taking tickets.  My bike was last off and in good shape.  We had a wonderful ride on Fox River Trail and returned via Metra from Elgin.  I love Metra, I love bicycles, I love pleasant rides in the sun.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service