From our blog:

Thanks,

Ethan Spotts, Marketing & Communication Director, Active Trans

PS: thanks for the twitter tip @stevevance

More bicyclists in Chicago, proof is in the official CDOT counts

Good news for bicyclists and the potential for new bike facilities...“This study confirms what we already knew: That bicycles are a popular and convenient way to travel in Chicago,” said CDOT Commissioner Bobby L. Ware in a news release today.

Highest count on a weekday during warmer weather: more than 3,000 bicyclists at 640 N. Milwaukee Ave.!

We are traffic.

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow!  Those are some impressive numbers.

Those are some impressive numbers indeed, but they can be misleading.

What was the average modeshare?

Keep doing it, and someday we can say, "it’s not alternative transportation for us anymore."

I was watching the news last night when they were talking about the storm that never happened. 

They warned of a messy commute this morning. 

Maybe someday the news will include bike commute information.....

You mean post information that people can use? that would take away from the important stories like Charlie Sheen, Linsday Lohan etc. and bike riders get off the road and buy a car hippy!

Julie Hochstadter said:

I was watching the news last night when they were talking about the storm that never happened. 

They warned of a messy commute this morning. 

Maybe someday the news will include bike commute information.....

I'm not sure what you mean by average modeshare. 

The latest car traffic counts were conducted in 2006. You can see all of the locations on this map or list. Until the next count is taken (maybe in 5 years?) that number of cars passing that point in 24 hours is assumed to be the number of cars driving EACH weekday, every week of the year (assumptions can be lowered for winter time). Except on roads with permanent, automatic counting devices (like IDOT/ISTHA highways), this is how it works around the country. 

The same goes for bike counts. Hypothetically, bike counts are cheaper and easier to conduct and should ideally be conducted yearly to track the progress of the bicycle master plan. Unfortunately this data does not contribute to knowing when we'll reach goal 1: That 5% of all trips under 5 miles be made by bicycle. 

See my blog for more information.

Duppie said:

Those are some impressive numbers indeed, but they can be misleading.

What was the average modeshare?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service