The Chainlink

.

Views: 728

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am in the same situation.  So many brewpubs, why is it so hard to get there?

I think I've seen someone put a bike on Megabus once, but I don't think they are officially allowed, so I wouldn't count on it.

Apparently bikes on trains are coming to Michigan next year.

http://www.activetrans.org/blog/tvillaire/bikes-may-be-allowed-trai...

Red or Green line to South end, bus as far east as you can go, ride to Michigan?  Indiana Dunes is a frequent camping spot.  Ride around to Lake Michigan Ferry and back on Amtrack or ride to furthest Metra spot.

Actually, NW Indiana can be a nice place to ride, as people who do all the beer ride know, just stay away from the lake.  You can pick up the Erie-Lackwana trail in Hammond and take a series of trails almost to the Michigan border.

Daniel G said:

This would seem a pretty ineffective way to bypass Indiana. He's pressed for time and NW Indiana looks like a mess to navigate by bike. And riding the entirety of SW Chicagoland just seems like a crappy way to start out a spring country bike tour. I don't blame him for wanting to skip to the good stuff.

Mike Schwab said:

Red or Green line to South end, bus as far east as you can go, ride to Michigan?  Indiana Dunes is a frequent camping spot.  Ride around to Lake Michigan Ferry and back on Amtrack or ride to furthest Metra spot.

You can follow the Le Tour de Shore route. Mostly trails, that are generally a nice combination of suburban/exurban and forested views. Depending on you starting point and preferred distance, you can make it into Michigan on the first day.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206659279600321314647.0004b751...

But I would agree, that I didn't know any of that either until I started doing beer rides ;)

envane (69 furlongs) said:

Actually, NW Indiana can be a nice place to ride, as people who do all the beer ride know, just stay away from the lake.  You can pick up the Erie-Lackwana trail in Hammond and take a series of trails almost to the Michigan border.

Daniel G said:

This would seem a pretty ineffective way to bypass Indiana. He's pressed for time and NW Indiana looks like a mess to navigate by bike. And riding the entirety of SW Chicagoland just seems like a crappy way to start out a spring country bike tour. I don't blame him for wanting to skip to the good stuff.

Mike Schwab said:

Red or Green line to South end, bus as far east as you can go, ride to Michigan?  Indiana Dunes is a frequent camping spot.  Ride around to Lake Michigan Ferry and back on Amtrack or ride to furthest Metra spot.

Yes, as long as you don't require starting in the SW corner of Michigan.

-Metra to Kenosha

-ride from Kenosha to Milwaukee (or ride the whole way if you like)

-ferry (SS Badger) to Holland

-begin riding to wherever you want to go from Holland

Indian Trails buses will get you to a bunch of places in Michigan - you may need to box your bike, which might be as easy as stopping by Amtrak or Greyhound (where the buses leave from) and seeing if they have bike boxes, or Kozy's is a couple blocks away and I imagine would have bike boxes.

More interesting than a bus would be Metra to Kenosha, then ride to the ferry in Milwaukee (about 30 miles), then take the Lake Express to Muskegon.

However you get there, have fun!

Boo and hiss at the SS Badger, see link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Badger#Environmental_impact

David P. said:

Yes, as long as you don't require starting in the SW corner of Michigan.

-Metra to Kenosha

-ride from Kenosha to Milwaukee (or ride the whole way if you like)

-ferry (SS Badger) to Holland

-begin riding to wherever you want to go from Holland

So the answer is wait a year?

Jared said:

Apparently bikes on trains are coming to Michigan next year.

http://www.activetrans.org/blog/tvillaire/bikes-may-be-allowed-trai...

ride the bike there. simple

You could rent a car one-way and put the bike in the trunk.

Also, bikeflights.com is a really cheap way to ship a bike. You could ship it to a bike shop in michigan and take the train.

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service