The Chainlink

Here's your chance to express your opinion, if you haven't done it already. Survey closes today.

Views: 435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks! Just completed, and made the suggesting to offer increase bike allowances on trains, even during express trains (rush hour). That could extend Metra's reach into workers who could use multimode travel (like I do).

Thanks for sharing! I posted it to my FB page and filled out the survey. I really hope Metra commits to bikes on trains and builds a more permanent solution so that it can truly be a reliable way to commute. 

I completed the survey with very much the same comments- dont make multi- modal commuters 2nd rate riders.

Marcusn said:

Thanks! Just completed, and made the suggesting to offer increase bike allowances on trains, even during express trains (rush hour). That could extend Metra's reach into workers who could use multimode travel (like I do).

I filled in the comment space: " Metra is wonderful.  My new job is too close to my home for me to need it, but my old job required me to take Metra every day.  I appreciated the reliable, comfortable commute. Maintaining what you currently achieve is good, but trains are the future and if you wish to become a world-class system you will need to do several things: 1) make it easier to buy tickets, allow people to buy tickets with credit cards and online. Printable tickets like boarding passes would be wonderful!  2) Make the trains more accessible to bike riders.  Mult-modal commutes are catching on as they are environmentally responsible and budget friendly. Black out days and confusing schedules (inbound/outbound) rules make it hard for someone who wishes to incorporate a bike into their commute to rely on metra as their everyday transportation choice.  I am a member of Chainlink (an online forum for Chicago cyclists) and the question "can I take my bike on metra today" comes up so often, someone created an AP to tell you just that. However it would be much more convenient and would increase your ridership if the answer was always yes. You should consider having a car dedicated to bike storage that way busy trains could carry many bikes.  3) Interconnection with CTA is another thing that needs improvement.  On CTA stops that come close to Metra stations, they announce "transfer to blue line, and Metra"  Metra trains should have similar announcements and signage to make transferring between trains easy.  4)Lastly.  Trains are better for the environment than cars.  Shout it off the rooftops.  Incorporate this information into your marketing strategy.  Ride Metra, Save the Planet, catchy right?  Thank you so much for your commitment to service!  I hope to see Metra become the world-class transportation service it has the potential to be!!!"

Done.  Also asked for increased hours for bikes and designated cars for bikes (possibly during rush hour).

I wrote about Metra's strategic plan, and the fundamental issues with doing it, on Grid Chicago. While I don't believe Metra should be developing a strategic plan alone, I do believe Chainlinkers who use Metra (or want to use it more) should send the train company comments. 

Can I bring my bike on Metra now? Currently, yes. There's only one more blackout date and that's next weekend for Air & Water Show. 

April said:

I am a member of Chainlink (an online forum for Chicago cyclists) and the question "can I take my bike on metra today" comes up so often, someone created an AP to tell you just that. However it would be much more convenient and would increase your ridership if the answer was always yes. You should consider having a car dedicated to bike storage that way busy trains could carry many bikes.  

The rest of the major cities around the world with train lines have cars just like this. My uncle in northern cali has bike train bike club to palo alto. He's a multi modal commuter and his commute is 150 miles away.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

A Metra car like this?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service