The Chainlink

I have been fender shopping and going crazy.  One day I want hammered Velo Orange metal fenders and the next day I want SKS Plastic Longboards. I have read many of the blogs. Some say metal keeps you drier, but others say metal dents and bends and is a mess when you are locking your bike or banging it around in a storage box for transportation etc.

So Plastic or metal that is the question?

Dave

Views: 11996

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use plastic ones (Planet Bike ATB's) because they flex.

Because plastic fenders, at least the ones I've seen don't have the rear fender support bracket bolted to the chain stay thus preventing the rack strap from sliding over the tire. I've talked to Pace about this.

Yes, on your recommendation, I installed a set of the wider ones on my Swobo Novak, to accommodate my Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tires in 32mm. The fenders were simple to install, much simpler than similar SKS fenders (which I also have and love). There was a clearance issue at the brake bridge, but I found the struts and the chainstay bridge adequately keep the rear fender in place, no brake bridge attachment needed. Thanks for the recommendation!

I rode the Swobo today, BTW, and the Randonneur Hyper tires are fantastic. I might like them better than the Schwalbe Kojak I have on my road bike.

Kevin C 4.1 mi said:

No chainlink love for the Planet Bike Cascadia Fenders? I have them on two bikes. Easy to install. Full coverage. No complaints.

I have Planet Bike Cascadia ATB fenders on my commuter / transportation bike and recommend them.  They offer good coverage and stand up well to the inevitable abuse of bike racks, Metra rides, stairwells, doors, etc. that I think aluminum fenders would not enjoy.  I once picked up a branch that locked the rear wheel and distorted the fender but it popped right back into shape.

I've been using SKS Longboards and they've been great.  More than the crud that's thrown up on your rear and back a big front fender will stop your feet from getting sprayed, which when it's cold and wet make all the difference in the world.  Even in light rain my feet stay pretty dry when without fenders they'd the soaked.

I have Planet Bike Hardcores on my touring bike.  When I bought them, I got the medium width touring/hybrid fenders and except for having to replaced the front mud flap, they work just fine. 

berthouds. 

These are very nice, albeit pricey. The thing about the Berthoud fenders that scared me off was that I would have to drill my own hardware. Though, I have heard that they are coming pre-drilled now. 

william said:

berthouds. 

Funny that you should bring this up. Our lord and savior (snicker) has just written a post about fitting them properly.

http://janheine.wordpress.com

Once fit properly and securely, they hardly make noise. Every so often I'll hear pinging if I'm hauling ass on crushed limestone and kicking up bits, but otherwise, nothing.

Will 7.87 miles said:

I've heard of a couple of premature failures of VO or other metal fenders, due to the metal stressing at the strut or brake bridge attachment point. But it's just hearsay. It really comes down to looks, as the cost differences aren't generally significant. If the flashy stainless or aluminum fenders float your boat, go for it.

Jim, I remember that the ones on your green Schwinn look great. What brand are they?

Jim S said:

These are very nice, albeit pricey. The thing about the Berthoud fenders that scared me off was that I would have to drill my own hardware. Though, I have heard that they are coming pre-drilled now. 

william said:

berthouds. 

Thanks for all the discussions. I decided on 45mm SKS Longboards in black for the Salsa Vaya. 

Longboards are some of the best fenders ever.

Tricolor said:

I've been using SKS Longboards and they've been great.  More than the crud that's thrown up on your rear and back a big front fender will stop your feet from getting sprayed, which when it's cold and wet make all the difference in the world.  Even in light rain my feet stay pretty dry when without fenders they'd the soaked.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service