Mayor Emanuel, Gabe Klein announce more awesome bike stuff! Protected lane thru Loop!

More protected and buffered bike lanes this year and 645-mile bike network in Streets for Cycling 2020 plan!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151091028629872&set=a....

Edited discussion to include announcement of protected bike lane on Dearborn through Loop from Polk to Kinzie!

Also, here's our statement to media about this: http://www.activetrans.org/media/pressrelease/transportation-advoca...

Thanks,

Ethan Spotts, Active Trans

Views: 2054

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

+1

Facebook is NOT the internet.   Why they decide to use it as such is annoying.  Not everyone is on the bookface -nor do they want to be :(

Tony Adams said:

I don't know which is more frustratingly devoid of details, this thread, the announcement on the Active Trans site or the Facebook post. So many different ways to not say much!

We've heard the same as Michelle -- construction on Dearborn should be this fall. Considering the end of fall construction season is only a handful of weeks away, please help us keep the pressure on and keep this project on track by continuing to spread the word about our petition!

James -- You can find additional information we've posted on our blog here, and on the Chainlink here: http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/action-alert-support-prote...

- Lee Crandell, Active Trans

The Harrison bridge has been unrideable for WAY too long.  Got any news about when that might improve - even a temporary improvement to get us through until construction is done?  Having Jackson, Van Buren and Harrison out of commission at the same time has been brutal, since many of us will NOT ride Roosevelt due to unsafe traffic conditions.  This effectively leaves us with a gap from 18th St. to Adams/Monroe between rideable bridges across the river - way too big a gap.

Juan said:

Exciting! That is my usual route from the south loop into downtown for my shot out to the west loop from Madison. It can get very tight when the bus lane is full of parked taxis and such.

During Construction of the new Dearborn route I hope Harrison will be ridable again so I can make it out to the west loop.

Here is a post with advice that might be helpful in a situation like this.

James BlackHeron said:

+1

Facebook is NOT the internet.   Why they decide to use it as such is annoying.  Not everyone is on the bookface -nor do they want to be :(

Tony Adams said:

I don't know which is more frustratingly devoid of details, this thread, the announcement on the Active Trans site or the Facebook post. So many different ways to not say much!

Speaking of cross-thread held-for-months butthurt...

Duppie said:

Here is a post with advice that might be helpful in a situation like this.

James BlackHeron said:

+1

Tony Adams said:

The Chicago Bicycle program posted on Facebook that the bicycle traffic signals will begin to be installed this weekend, so the Dearborn PBL is indeed moving forward. I had begun to lose hope.

Here's some exciting Friday news... installation of the new traffic signals, including the bicycle traffic signals, for the upcoming Dearborn parking protected bike lanes will begin this weekend!!! The signals will not be operational until the lanes open, but the project is moving ahead!

That's great to hear! I'm sick of getting stuck behind trains on Canal – been using that to detour the Wells Street bridge for the past week.

Michelle Stenzel said:

The Chicago Bicycle program posted on Facebook that the bicycle traffic signals will begin to be installed this weekend, so the Dearborn PBL is indeed moving forward. I had begun to lose hope.

Here's some exciting Friday news... installation of the new traffic signals, including the bicycle traffic signals, for the upcoming Dearborn parking protected bike lanes will begin this weekend!!! The signals will not be operational until the lanes open, but the project is moving ahead!

Woo hoo!  Thanks for letting us know, Michelle.  (I refuse to join Facebook, so really appreciate the link.)

You're welcome, Lisa. Word is travelling fast... the news is burning through Twitter as well, thanks to Active Trans, Adam, and other "regulars" ... I was wondering how often an announcement of the start of a CDOT project generates this much enthusiasm, and I'm thinking it's only for bike projects.

Rode on Dearborn today from Madison to Kinzie.  Signals are installed at Wacker and at Kinzie.  I can't remember if they are in at Lake.  CDOT was working at Madison, Washington and Randolph.  Now I believe this could happen before winter!  And the signals are on the west side of Dearborn.

I was in the Loop today and also saw installation in progress at Madison.  Lights had already been installed at Monroe and Adams.  Yeah!!!

Photos on Grid Chicago. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service