The Chainlink

I generally try to keep my money as local as possible, but I was near Mariano's at Halsted and Madison last Thursday evening around 9 and needed a few things, and would have not been able to get to any local stores in time.

I had already been impressed with the amount of bike parking they had installed, but otherwise didn't know anything about the place beyond a vague perception that they were probably on the pricey side. My initial perception after passing the sushi and expresso bars, and the deli/bakery/produce areas on the way in was that the store was very upscale, but when I got to the aisles I found the prices were pretty low, especially the house brand stuff (Roundy's) and there was kind of a suprising assortment of foreign food of various kinds.  I ended up almost enjoying shopping, which I've almost come to dread in recent years....

Anyone else shop here? What do you think? Is it a local company? Is it just a subsidiary of Wal-Mart and I'm easily fooled?

Views: 4510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Besides El Dorado? No, I think that's his trademark (and how the narcs keep recognizing him too, apparently.)

Kevin C said:

But does anyone else have a "Moo and Oink" hat?

h' 1.0 said:

You are not going to believe this, but the answer to your question was just sitting right there on the internet.

http://www.moo-oink.com/about-us/

El Dorado said:

Whatever happened to Moo And Oink? They had great prices on a variety of meat.

Thanks H' for posting the link. I'm a bit to lazy to google today.

I'm more than annoyed with the Mariano's TIF deal, so take this with a grain of salt if you like, but if you go looking for a job with a newly opening Mariano's, please be aware that they tend to overhire for the opening and then let a LOT of the folks go. A lot. They did it with the one on Western.

I still want to try that cheddar, though. 

Last time I was at Mariano's (on Western), I couldn't find the "weep with joy" cheddar.

But here's my "Moo & Oink" hat.

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

[snip]

Headwear is really best shown off on owners' heads, no? That should be a C-link rule.

Uh, Julie?

Comme ça, Kevin:

Kevin C said:

Last time I was at Mariano's (on Western), I couldn't find the "weep with joy" cheddar.

But here's my "Moo & Oink" hat.

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

[snip]

Well until that proposed C-link rule is codified and implemented, let me just say that not everyone looks good in headwear, and certainly your holiday-themed headwear is a tough act to follow. That objection notwithstanding, here you go:

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

Headwear is really best shown off on owners' heads, no? That should be a C-link rule.

Uh, Julie?

I also looked for the Cheese-to-cry-for for a good long time last time I was there but couldn't spot it.

Walked into the Dominick's on Halsted and Madison yesterday only to find 2-3rds of the shelves emptied out. Sad to see, but I got some closeout deals.

The liquor goes on sale today.

The Mariano's down the street had to be my next stop.

It looks as if the Grinch had been through Dominicks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saZ9E3b3050&feature=youtu.be

This is the one at Chicago/Damen around 6:30pm. He only left spices, firewood, produce, baked goods and white wine. No one likes white wine. 

kinda sad!

Ok, I broke down since I was driving (yes, the rare car) by the Elston Mariano's, and what do you know? There's a shitload of the weep-with-joy cheddar ON SALE right now. From 10.99/lb. to 8.99. I bought a hunk.

I will only write back in with criticism - I fully trust this will be good stuff.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service