The Chainlink

Thought this should be posted before Monday's commute

Views: 12304

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I take Cannon Drive and use the path underpass under LaSalle to reach Dearborn or State. Both State and Dearborn were repaved this summer north of Division and are baby butt smooth. An enjoyable 4 blocks for sure.



Joe Guzzardo said:

Hmmm, I never considered Cannon Drive. Southbound you take it to North and then turn onto State? 

I prefer to salmon north on Cannon (b/n North & Fullerton) rather than ride Stockton. Stockton raises my stress level with how narrow it is and the type of traffic it attracts - parked cars on one side (usually non-locals going to the zoo and lacking awareness about opening car doors), other cars looking for parking and therefore not paying attention, buses trying to squeak by each other. It's tight! But, this is just my opinion and I know others who also prefer Stockton over Cannon. Anyways, it's never a bad thing to have alternate routes.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Hmmm, thanks for pointing out that Cannon is a southbound only street. Dearborn gets hairy in the evening once you're north of the protected bike lanes. 

As you said, though, its always good idea to have alternate routes available. 

Thanks to you and Cameron for your suggestions. 


JM 6.5 said:

I prefer to salmon north on Cannon (b/n North & Fullerton) rather than ride Stockton. Stockton raises my stress level with how narrow it is and the type of traffic it attracts - parked cars on one side (usually non-locals going to the zoo and lacking awareness about opening car doors), other cars looking for parking and therefore not paying attention, buses trying to squeak by each other. It's tight! But, this is just my opinion and I know others who also prefer Stockton over Cannon. Anyways, it's never a bad thing to have alternate routes.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Check out Cannon if you have a chance. Cannon is a normal two-way street between Fullerton and Belmont. Cannon is the Zoo parking lot between Fullerton and North. It's one way in that cars enter at the north end and exit at the south end. I guess it's technically one way, but not a typical one-way street.

Joe Guzzardo said:

Hmmm, thanks for pointing out that Cannon is a southbound only street. Dearborn gets hairy in the evening once you're north of the protected bike lanes.

Indeedy.



Tom Z said:

Lake Michigan was amazing that day... I took some videos and pictures at Gillson Beach in Wilmette...

2014 1031  Lake Michigan is Angry this Halloween:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/117919517831089010889/albums/607...

It was a really cool thing to see!

It was a little better last night.  All the stray slabs of asphalt have been removed from the trail but you still need to bump over the missing sections.  About a third of the sand covering the trail south of Fullerton has been removed, but it's still impassible so you need to use the single track near Lake Shore Drive to bypass it.  NPR reported the Park District plans to have the whole trail cleaned up and smooth by the end of the week.

By smooth do they mean the asphalt will be repaired or will that just mean that the slabs will have been removed but there will still be missing chunks?

Tricolor said:

It was a little better last night.  All the stray slabs of asphalt have been removed from the trail but you still need to bump over the missing sections.  About a third of the sand covering the trail south of Fullerton has been removed, but it's still impassible so you need to use the single track near Lake Shore Drive to bypass it.  NPR reported the Park District plans to have the whole trail cleaned up and smooth by the end of the week.

From DNAinfo

STREETERVILLE — Construction crews from the Chicago Park District began clearing the Lakefront Trail Monday of the broken asphalt that cluttered the path after Friday's stormy weather.

Cyclists Monday morning were forced off their bikes to maneuver around the Bobcats and Park District vehicles used to push the broken asphalt off the path just south of North Avenue Beach. While some groaned about it, it was necessary to prepare the trail for its repaving Tuesday, one construction worker said.

"They'll clean it all up and redo the asphalt tomorrow — weather permitting," the worker said.

The worker said crews had been out since early Monday clearing the weather's damage from Evanston to the Indiana border.

Rob Rejman, director of Planning and Development for the Park District, said the crews began work Monday morning around 7 a.m. and were focusing on cleaning up two problem areas from "Goethe Street to Oak Street" and from "47th and 51st street."

"It was really hammered," said Rejman, adding that the secondary trail took most of the damage and "was hit with an amazing amount of debris."

That area of the trail had deteriorated before the waves hit Friday, but it is part of a much bigger project already underway to restore the concrete shoreline, so most of the work there will be just clearing the debris, Rejman said.

The North Side problems included pavement that had "peeled off" because of the powerful waves, he said.

"It looks like a deck off cards that just got shuffled," he said.

Rejman estimated the damage would cost "a couple hundred thousand dollars by the time it's all done."

While the Park District hopes to have the trail repaved by the end of the week, the work could take until next week if it rains, Rejman said.

The sand south of Fullerton has been dug away from the trail to its full width.  The pavement could use a sweep but the trail is open and relatively safe.

North of Oak Street there was a small contracting crew with a few bobcats and a small steamroller setting up a detour around the missing pavement chunks; looks like at the least that's going to be repaired, maybe even overnight.

I would second triclor. I went Wilson/North with no problems whatsoever. Saw them working farther South and at North Ave sign said LFP was closed.

replying to my own reply.

Took the LFP home this evening from Oak.  They have detour signs heading North that bracket the damaged area. You have to slow down to go through a small opening.  They have removed the asphalt surface for about 150 meters but still bikeable (just went slow, on larger tires).

Just past North there is a sign saying closed southbound but again once you are in the area they have marked it as detour, not closed. Not sure if they will be working on the asphalt tomorrow and closing it down.

So I think if you are out early tomorrow you should be able to take the LPF between North and Oak. Was open tonight.

So glad I decided to ride the path today, because it was totally fine (between Montrose and Chicago Ave)--just one slight detour down to the concrete near the lake between Fullerton and North (photo here looking back north after the detour stretch), but the friendly park district guy who was there said this will be repaved today. He apologized for the inconvenience, to which I replied that I was very impressed how quickly they're fixing this. Still some sandy spots to be cautious about when breaking (I find sand more treacherous than ice), but overall a glorious lakefront commute today.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service