Woo- hoo!

SunTimes Article here.

Design Info (from May meeting) - link here.

Views: 807

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The 47th Ward has updated information from the presentation CDOT and Alderman gave on Tuesday at the Ravenswood Community Council.  

Also, a new Chainlink group has been created for riders in the Alderman Pawar's ward called Bike47. Stay turned for a 47th ward bike ride in early October.

Road diets are the solution.  Any road that goes back and forth between 2 lanes and 4 is a good candidate for a diet to keep it at 2.  The spots where it widens and goes back to 2 lanes are dangerous for us bicyclists and often hurt traffic flow as everyone bunches up trying to merge again.

The New section of Diversey as it goes under the Kennedy is extremely disappointing for me.  It should have been made 2 lanes but for some reason it is lined as 4 lanes even though much of the area on both sides has parking.  So now not only do we not have a safe place to ride but the cars think they can buzz down the door zones as an added extra lane -leaving us absolutely zero room to live.  Getting across the Kennedy and the River Going East/West around 3000 N is pretty killer if you ask me. The fact that they just made it WORSE a few weeks ago with this new repave and paint makes it even more disheartening. 

Mike Zumwalt said:

They need a redesign on a lot of streets in Chicago for bikes. Lawrence is scary but Western is on my not to ride list, and even though I live near Broadway it's a little hairy at times and don't forget about North ave, between 94 and Halsted with those huge curbs!

I live off of Lawrence and Central so I regularly have to bike it, however I never go past Pulaski.  As soon as I clear the expressways I switch to Wilson.  It is so much more pleasant to bike and generally has less traffic.  From Pulaski to Ashland it is mostly residential, so there are no buses, minimum taxis and large vehicles. Past Ashland there are sharrows. Lawrence is OK. The bike lane is pretty wide and for the most part cars seem to keep it clear but Wilson is so much nicer.

I couldn't open either link, so I don't know what's happening with Lawrence.
Link to presentation here.

April said:

I live off of Lawrence and Central so I regularly have to bike it, however I never go past Pulaski.  As soon as I clear the expressways I switch to Wilson.  It is so much more pleasant to bike and generally has less traffic.  From Pulaski to Ashland it is mostly residential, so there are no buses, minimum taxis and large vehicles. Past Ashland there are sharrows. Lawrence is OK. The bike lane is pretty wide and for the most part cars seem to keep it clear but Wilson is so much nicer.

I couldn't open either link, so I don't know what's happening with Lawrence.

Wow, It appears it is actually going to happen this year. At least the first phase.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130501/lincoln-square/lawrence-ave...

Yep. Its happening... get excited. This year is western to damen, next year damen to clark.

Procurement in our city takes a little while :))

It makes sense to wait until the Metra stations and the Mariano's are done, which should be late this year, AFAIK.

I'm most excited about that part. I may have to stop riding into work and just take the Metra everyday. Get fat, lazy and happy ;)

Julie Hochstadter said:

Yep. Its happening... get excited. This year is western to damen, next year damen to clark.

Procurement in our city takes a little while :))

Coming in from 90 to the lake on Lawrance late at night was always fun, what with the disappearing/reappearing four lane sections.  So many stoplight drags with cabs and sketchy types after a night of races down around the stockyards.

If they can do something about the buses bike lanes would be a great way to calm that street down.  There still needs to be a faster way to get from the lake (Edgewater and Rogers Park) to the highway in a car, though.

That would be Peterson. Parts of it have recently been redone. Not just a new toplayer of asphalt, but the entire foundation. It is all concrete now. Should be nice and smooth for decades to come. And it is four lanes all the way. Plenty of opportunities to have stoplight drags. ;)

Tricolor said:

Coming in from 90 to the lake on Lawrance late at night was always fun, what with the disappearing/reappearing four lane sections.  So many stoplight drags with cabs and sketchy types after a night of races down around the stockyards.

If they can do something about the buses bike lanes would be a great way to calm that street down.  There still needs to be a faster way to get from the lake (Edgewater and Rogers Park) to the highway in a car, though.

I regularly use Peterson to get to I94, but I use I90 far more often. My only options for that is Lawrence or Foster, which both suck equally. 

Duppie 13.5185km said:

That would be Peterson. Parts of it have recently been redone. Not just a new toplayer of asphalt, but the entire foundation. It is all concrete now. Should be nice and smooth for decades to come. And it is four lanes all the way. Plenty of opportunities to have stoplight drags. ;)

Tricolor said:

I think that may be a matter of personal preference. I used to travel full-time for nearly 7 years, mostly out of O’Hare. I would direct the cab driver to take Peterson to Caldwell to Devon to Nagle to westbound Kennedy. I always felt that traffic flowed a lot smoother on that route than on Foster or Lawrence.  

Jim S said:

I regularly use Peterson to get to I94, but I use I90 far more often. My only options for that is Lawrence or Foster, which both suck equally. 

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Tricolor said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service