The Chainlink

Hopefully you've heard by now that CDOT will begin construction this week on the city's first protected bike lane: Kinzie Street from Milwaukee Avenue/Desplaines Street to Wells Street. 

Full story on Steven Can Plan. 

I want to know what you think about this.

• What do you feel will need special attention?
  • Is this the right or wrong location for such a facility? Why?
  • Are you going to thank/congratulate Rahm, Gabe, and the CDOT Bicycle Program?
  • Will you use it?

Cycle track and protected bike lane naysayers, this isn't the post for you. But if you've ridden in protected bike lanes before, then I welcome your constructive comments and criticism based on your actual experiences. 

Big intersection

The new beginning. Looking southeast at the intersection of Kinzie/Milwaukee/Desplaines. 

Views: 3736

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Busted...

I know I'm not the only one. 

Iggi,

Probably somewhere in between your two scenarios.  I was braking before I approached Jefferson, ready to stop if necessary, and looking to the left just to be extra careful.  The driver sort of half turned then braked, while I nearly stopped in case she didn't.  It didn't seem like an abrupt "oh shit" brake, but I couldn't be sure she was stopping until after I had nearly stopped.  It was probably less dangerous situation than I perceived it to be, but I am worried that repeating the same trip 100 or 1000 times will eventually end poorly.  I suppose that's true at any intersection.

So I guess all I'm saying is that I personally felt safer in mixed traffic than I do now in the "protected" lane.  Again though, the lane is meant to encourage people who wouldn't be out there otherwise; people who didn't feel safe in mixed traffic.

I do think there are ways to improve the design, which I intend to do.  I like the NYC mixing zone design better.  I understand that the inability to remove parking meters due to Daley's stupid lease made such a design harder on Kinzie.

iggi said:

we should be looking over our shoulders regardless while approaching and crossing intersections.  is the idea behind the protected lane that we shouldnt have to do this?

john, the car that crept up to the intersection...was it an 'oh shit, bike' slam on brakes situation, or was it a typical 'dootdeedoo, im making a right turn' slow down approach made by the car? or somewhere in between? just trying to understand the situation better.

OK what was the deal today? Heading home a group of bike Ambassadors and a cop sticking his body and hand out in the lane instructing us to stop, asking if we obeyed the signs then telling us to talk to the people about the rules of the road! 

I didn't make it to Milwaukee and Grand without a car in the bike lane and someone turning right from the center lane, essentially perpendicular in the right lane and the bike lane.

Not too mention I slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting the 2 bikes in front of me after swerving to miss the stopped bike all because a cop wants to ask you a question then to make you listen to a lecture from a 17 yr old.

I'm through with Kinzie.

Yeah, I've noticed that there always seems to be Brownshirt Ambassadors and cops hanging around the Kinzie zone.  Blow that whistle Rolf!

Mike Zumwalt said:

OK what was the deal today? Heading home a group of bike Ambassadors and a cop sticking his body and hand out in the lane instructing us to stop, asking if we obeyed the signs then telling us to talk to the people about the rules of the road! 

I didn't make it to Milwaukee and Grand without a car in the bike lane and someone turning right from the center lane, essentially perpendicular in the right lane and the bike lane.

Not too mention I slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting the 2 bikes in front of me after swerving to miss the stopped bike all because a cop wants to ask you a question then to make you listen to a lecture from a 17 yr old.

I'm through with Kinzie.

Bye-bye!

Mike Zumwalt said:
I'm through with Kinzie.

I thoroughly enjoy riding Kinzie. One of my pleasures is ringing my bell on those pedestrians that think it is a sidewalk/hangout spot. Then when they don't respond to that or seem agressive, a blast from my airhorn sets things straight.
-Or the high-pitched squeal of my back tire skidding...

Juan said:
Then when they don't respond to that or seem agressive, a blast from my airhorn sets things straight.

For some reason, your link didn't work for me. Try this one.

carfreecommuter said:

I haven't seen anyone else post this yet. Cool new vid of Kinzie. I'm a big fan of streetfilms if you don't follow it. 

Kinzie Street: The First of Many Protected Bike Lanes for Chicago

The presence of motor vehicle traffic on the roads provides the benefit of clearing portions of the pavement and creates dry patches (or at least a uniform surface) where the bulk of the tire tracks have passed over the same spots. Without that "clearing" effect, portions of the protected bike lane east from Des Plaines (on the downhill portion) were kind of a slippery mess today, containing hidden strips of ice created by bike tires. This is going to be an engineering/riding challenge this winter.

Agreed, eastbound between Wells and the bridge was icy. Where is that Advil truck when you need it?

The bridge itself seemed better, but maybe the snow covered the icy-ness

Kevin C said:

The presence of motor vehicle traffic on the roads provides the benefit of clearing portions of the pavement and creates dry patches (or at least a uniform surface) where the bulk of the tire tracks have passed over the same spots. Without that "clearing" effect, portions of the protected bike lane east from Des Plaines (on the downhill portion) were kind of a slippery mess today, containing hidden strips of ice created by bike tires. This is going to be an engineering/riding challenge this winter.

This is my biggest fear about "protected" bike lanes becoming wide-spread.  I just can't believe the city will devote the resources necessary to clear these lanes in a timely manner.  Plus, even if the lanes do get plowed, the lack of car traffic in them means any thin layer left behind is less likely to melt (or stay melted) and will lead to frequent icy patches.  You think drivers don't like these lanes now, wait until bikers start taking the normal lanes because the bike lanes are too risky.

Kevin C said:

I noticed the same problem on the 2 blocks of the Jackson bike lane I rode on.  It was also a problem in the regular bike lane in East Garfield Park.  There's not enough cars pulling out of parking spaces to clear the snow.  Fortunately just enough cars seem to have driven down the left half of the bike lane earlier that half the lane was clear. :-\

This seemed to be less of a problem as I got east of Western and especially east of Damen.  There was a good bit of salt on the ground east of Damen.  They should at least salt the protected lanes if there's too little snow to clear.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service