The Chainlink

Hopefully you've heard by now that CDOT will begin construction this week on the city's first protected bike lane: Kinzie Street from Milwaukee Avenue/Desplaines Street to Wells Street. 

Full story on Steven Can Plan. 

I want to know what you think about this.

• What do you feel will need special attention?
  • Is this the right or wrong location for such a facility? Why?
  • Are you going to thank/congratulate Rahm, Gabe, and the CDOT Bicycle Program?
  • Will you use it?

Cycle track and protected bike lane naysayers, this isn't the post for you. But if you've ridden in protected bike lanes before, then I welcome your constructive comments and criticism based on your actual experiences. 

Big intersection

The new beginning. Looking southeast at the intersection of Kinzie/Milwaukee/Desplaines. 

Views: 3753

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One thing that makes me glad for this being the first cycle track location is how much its being used.  

I spotted about 50 other cyclists riding on it with me this morning!!!!

:)

+1

It is a very helpful artery to link the much-used Milwaukee street "Hipster Highway" with Wells and parts further into the city.  Up until now Kinzie was probably pretty scary for many riders in the configuration it was in before.  I know I avoided it for the most part and often peeled off South on Green before Milwaukee just ended and left a bicyclist with few good options.   Green isn't perfect either as one has to salmon a few of the stretches and some of the road crossings are pretty hairy.  But early in the morning it is pretty abandoned and because of the reversing one-way sections it is not very used except for the delivery trucks.    

The new Kinzie route is much better.  Now Wells could use some more touching up (and has had some I have noticed)  More would be better.  

If nothing else there seems to be many more riders on the stretch and numbers increases visibility and overall safety due to that. 

Liz said:

One thing that makes me glad for this being the first cycle track location is how much its being used.  

I spotted about 50 other cyclists riding on it with me this morning!!!!

:)

News via Grid:

-Bridge deck schedule

-Discussing the location for the next protected bike lane

-Cost of building Kinzie Street protected bike lane

Read about it on Grid.

Kinzie Street protected bike lane

I feel much more protected than ever from the motorists due to the bollards on the bridge. So much looking forward to its deck. Never have I experienced this sort of safe feeling when riding on the other bike lane streets.

Still, these drivers want to park their pizza delivery cars right at Clinton and Kinzie.

Steven Vance said:

News via Grid:

-Bridge deck schedule

Read about it on Grid.

Let's advocate to make this standard policy on bridges, and work with CDOT to develop a plan to retrofit, over the next 5 years, the remaining 30 or so metal grate bridges without bike-friendly decks.

Juan said:

I feel much more protected than ever from the motorists due to the bollards on the bridge. So much looking forward to its deck. Never have I experienced this sort of safe feeling when riding on the other bike lane streets.

Still, these drivers want to park their pizza delivery cars right at Clinton and Kinzie.

Steven Vance said:

News via Grid:

-Bridge deck schedule

Read about it on Grid.

I still haven't made it out yet..... hopefully soon.

How can that be?!

It's worth a special trip!

I rode it again today. It's so weird. 

It looks like left turns from westbound Kinzie to southbound Canal are especially difficult. 

Julie Hochstadter said:

I still haven't made it out yet..... hopefully soon.
USPS vans blocking Kinzie protected bike lane

Yeah, thanks, USPS.
Agreed.

Through sleet or snow...

I don't like this even though there's no stop sign and you clearly have the right of way cars parked along the side block cars view that want to turn.

I can swerve around faster than I can stop from a car turning in front of me.

I want it back the way it was. No joggers, pedestrians, rollerbladers, cars parked in the lane... with drivers side lanes.

NO,

I would like to see this project on Stony becasue Stony is a bigger street and could use this improvement. It may also encourage more bikers on my side of town. I take stony to the lakefront trail to get to work once a week and would love to have this protection.

However, the painted green areas seam to give me a false impression that I can ride through them and not look out for cars there. I'm sure this isn't true so I will look out for my safety but the paint may give a false since of security.

Back to the Stony Island path. It would be a great way to link Southeast siders to their local comunities (shopping) that they may not frequent since we drive to Indiana and suburbs a lot. I was so happy to hear this project coming to my comunity that I had to try the Kinzie sample. Now I'm hurt that it isn't comming to Stony but they're right I'm one of a few riders who commute down Stony. Maybe if ATA (since they are so big) would hold events on the southeast side there would be more interest.

Duppie said:

This Tribune article gives some more detail. Apparently the Kinzie cycle track is being paid for by money originally designated for the cycle track on Stony Island. That project has been cancelled.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-bike-track-0606-201...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service