The Chainlink

Kind of a Missed Connection but Interesting Interpretive Question Raised by Raging Driver

Was thinking of posting this in the missed connection thread but the road-raging driver that prompted me to post really wasn't anything new or interesting for regular commuters in the city.  

In any event, I was riding southbound on the LFP this morning when a silver Mercedes with a 50 something dude in it stops at the stop sign just west of the LFP at Foster or Lawrence (I can't remember which).  I'm on the path headed towards the street and he pulls away from the stop sign, heading towards the path, looking straight at me.  He doesn't slow and I start shaking my head and then as I enter the street yell "hey."  I avoid hitting him and he stops, blocking the path both ways, and starts yelling profanities at me.  In between profanities, he yells that I have a yield sign.  This guy is clearly an asshat and probably deeply unhappy in his life but the comment about the yield sign caused me to check the path before each of the streets the rest of the way down the path.  As it turns out, there are some (not all) streets before which on the path there are yield signs. Soo...where the yield signs are present, are cyclist, bladers, runners, walkers, etc. on the LFP supposed to yield to all cars that have come to a stop and then proceed to cross the path or does the stopped car need to wait for the path to clear before proceeding?  Just curious what others thought.

In case you were wondering whether yelling profanities at bikers who may or may not have been in the right really qualifies one as an asshat, he also gunned his engine to peel out and slammed his brakes in some adolescent attempt to scare me.

Last, apologies if this has been covered before.  I didn't find anything on a quick search.

Views: 594

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

'Yield' means yield to traffic already in the intersection. Traffic with stop signs must stop and yield both to other motorized traffic that has priority, and to trail traffic.

Agree with that David P.  The interpretive challenge is in part due to the fact that the stop sign is on the west side of the on/off ramps for LSD and there is another 20/30 feet from the on/off ramps until the LFP.  Does the stop sign mean that a car must yield to both vehicles on the on/off ramps and the path?  I think some drivers assume that once the on/off ramp is cleared that LFP traffic not yet in the roadway must yield to vehicles in the roadway.  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service