The Chainlink

Views: 2078

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There aren't really any signs on Lake Shore Drive in the Loop that state it is an expressway. LSD runs as a surface boulevard with traffic lights from the Main Branch south to the Museum Campus. It's likely she did not know she was getting on a highway. CDOT needs to install better signage guiding people on bikes to the Lake Front Trail and discouraging riding on the expressway. This is a failure in design, and all the people calling for bike training classes and warnings on Divvy bikes are completely unfounded. Do we really need to put a warning sticker on all 4,000 Divvy bikes because one person made a mistake? Perhaps all cars sold in the US should have stickers on the wind shield that state "don't drive like an ass".

Hey ya'll Section (d) of 9-52-020 was actually removed from the code in June, effective July. Find it here. There's a couple of other changes as well.

Mike Schwab said:

USEABLE:  Blocked by debris or a vehicle it is NOT USEABLE.

JM 6.5 said:

Thanks, John. I guess there is actually a Chicago Muni Code about bikes on LSD.  The code leads to another discovery for me: Sub (d) recites that where a usable bike path is adjacent the road bikes "shall not" use the road.  This means that where there is now a bike lane of any kind (protected, buffered) it's illegal to ride in the road.  I had no idea this existed in Chicago, and there is no exception provided.  For example, I apparently can't leave the bike lane to pass another bike or even to go around a car obstructing the bike lane.  I wonder if this is the same language as in NYC, where bikers are being ticketed for leaving the bike lane even if it is obstructed.  The same could happen in Chicago.

9-52-020 Riding bicycles on sidewalks and certain roadways.
(a) No person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk within a business district.
(b) No person 12 or more years of age shall ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk in any district, unless such sidewalk has been officially designated and marked as a bicycle route.
(c) Bicycles shall not be operated on Lake Shore Drive or on any roadway where the operation of bicycles has been prohibited and signs have been erected indicating such prohibition.
(d) Whenever a usable path for bicycles has been provided adjacent to a roadway, bicycle riders shall use such path and shall not use the roadway.

John Durham said:

Yes

JM 6.5 said:

This got me thinking - is it actually illegal to ride a bike on LSD? 

Interesting. Thanks Charlie.  It looks like they clarified riding on the sidewalk (ok if the sidewalk is "officially designated and marked as a bicycle route, or such sidewalk is used to enter the nearest roadway, intersection or designated bicycle path, or to access a bicycle share station") and completely removed Sub (d).

Charlie Short 11.5 said:

Hey ya'll Section (d) of 9-52-020 was actually removed from the code in June, effective July. Find it here. There's a couple of other changes as well.

Someone needs to find that out and fix it.

El Dorado said:

My lord, she looks terrified. How could anyone "accidently" get on LSD??

If you have a drivers license it terrifies me that you do not know the answer to this question...

JM 6.5 said:

This got me thinking - is it actually illegal to ride a bike on LSD? 

Could it be a matter of time before someone sues Divvy? Perhaps, you have to take a course before you can operate a Divvy bike? I have seen a multitude of riders who seem like they haven't rode a bike in decades. Mostly tourists, but this terrified rider looks like a Chicago commuter. At least she had in interesting story to tell her co-workers around the water cooler.

Someone already did.

El Dorado said:

Could it be a matter of time before someone sues Divvy? Perhaps, you have to take a course before you can operate a Divvy bike? I have seen a multitude of riders who seem like they haven't rode a bike in decades. Mostly tourists, but this terrified rider looks like a Chicago commuter. At least she had in interesting story to tell her co-workers around the water cooler.

In chorus with Julie, Michael B, et al, in my naive faith in the goodness of human nature, I assumed upon starting the video, that what would happen next is this marginally human driver would slow to protect her rear, put on hazards and call cops with great concern.  But no, typical emotionally stunted mouth breathing driver behavior, get their phones out, laugh, scorn, and pass.  Among the worst choices possible short of hitting her.  So I'll guess they had open alcohol, drugs, or some other reason no to get involved.  I'm eager to hear the whole story; hoping she's a local and eventually comes out.

Man, that guy with the camera woke up on the misogynistic side of the bed that morning. I hope he treats the woman he's in the car with better than he treated the woman on the bicycle.

Last Sunday I was headed east on Monroe to the LFP and I saw a couple on Divvys right at the intersection of Monroe and LSD. They were clearly a little confused and were kind of going back and forth between some of the left lanes on Monroe, arguing about which lane to be in or which way to turn. My bike was loaded down with camping gear and the traffic was fast-moving so I ended up just getting off and walking it through the crosswalk to the path rather than trying to get into the middle (straight) lane on Monroe, and they ended up doing the same thing, but I can definitely see how you could get onto LSD there without realizing it. It doesn't look like an expressway; there are several traffic lights. There are no on/off ramps, just regular intersections. There are no concrete medians, guardrails, or grade separation. It looks busy, but no busier really than Michigan Avenue a block west, where plenty of people ride (and where, as far as I know, it's perfectly legal).

If you've driven in Chicago, you probably realize what you're getting into in this intersection, but if you're from out of town or a non-driver (both of which are surely more common among the Divvy ridership than the general population) I think it's an absolutely understandable mistake to make.

This seems like a huge leap to me.

Andrew Bedno said:

I'll guess they had open alcohol, drugs, or some other reason no to get involved.

I think Andrew is being polite and giving them the benefit of the doubt. The other explanation is that they're just assholes.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service