The Chainlink

The Illinois Department of Transportation likes big bridges, even on two-lane Chicago streets. The beautiful new Halsted Street bridge features wide sidewalks, bicycle lanes and a bike-friendly concrete surface. But does the new four-lane configuration turn what would otherwise be a very bikeable bridge into a scary ride?: 
http://gridchicago.com/2012/does-the-new-tied-arch-bridge-on-halsted-encourage-speeding/

Keep moving forward,

John Greenfield

Views: 1975

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've ridden the bridge a couple times recently and I've felt safe, but only because there wasn't any traffic on the bridge really to speak of.  I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense to have the cyclist surrounded by two lanes of traffic does it?  In this picture I don't see any obvious signs announcing to drivers and bikers that this is a bike lane, nor do I remember seeing any on my trips across it.  If that's the case then I hope that's something that would change soon, as well.    

I, too, noticed the lack of signage and pavement symbols. 

I think the press conference was held prematurely. The bridge and the street are not ready for traffic. 

Zoetrope said:

In this picture I don't see any obvious signs announcing to drivers and bikers that this is a bike lane, nor do I remember seeing any on my trips across it.  If that's the case then I hope that's something that would change soon, as well.    

They should narrow the whole stretch.  I don't quite understand why the city wants to pay for all of those extra maintenance costs later on when most of Halsted has two lanes anyway.  Even Halsted next to the loop has two lanes in many parts.  Really, it seems like the engineers behind this one just wanted cars to get through this area as fast as possible. 

Let's start here-- Steven, can you give a basic outline of what it is we'd be asking for?

John Greenfield said:

What do you think would be the most effective way to advocate for that?

Start the redesign by getting rid of one of the southbound lanes.  There is no benefit in having two SB lanes over the bridge.

Eliminating a travel lane in both southbound and northbound directions and replacing it with a curbside, separated bike lane (buffered, with flex posts, something). A center median would absorb remaining width. 

I wish I had the fancy drawing software the engineers use, and the knowhow to quickly draw this. 

h' said:

Let's start here-- Steven, can you give a basic outline of what it is we'd be asking for?

OK, that helps.

How about a media focusing event with press release?

Put out a call to get a bunch of folks to ride back and forth over the bridge for a 1/2 hour on a Sunday afternoon?

Steven Vance said:

Eliminating a travel lane in both southbound and northbound directions and replacing it with a curbside, separated bike lane (buffered, with flex posts, something). A center median would absorb remaining width. 

I wish I had the fancy drawing software the engineers use, and the knowhow to quickly draw this. 

h' said:

Allright, I guess we just want to discuss it and not try to do anything about it.  Sorry to butt in.

I think you're right.  I have talked to non and novice cyclists who think that bike lanes "in the middle of the street" (I've heard Madison Street in the Loop mentioned as well) just seems insane.  If one of the goals of bike lanes is to encourage new cyclists, then this design fails.  Novice cyclists will not feel safe unless there is separation from motor vehicle traffic.  Just the other day I was riding in the new Elston Avenue bike lane which I thought was wonderful.  I was shocked to see someone riding on the sidewalk right next to the lane.  Many people just do not feel safe riding with cars and trucks.

John Greenfield said:

My sense is that for experienced riders like us, the solid bridge decking makes up for the faster car traffic and floating bike lane. However, I think the new configuration might be a dealbreaker for novice riders who would have been comfortable on a solid-deck, two-lane bridge with bike lanes.

Can anyone give us some info on who might be best to contact about this?  Would that be CDOT?  

A floating lane on a bridge with no obvious signage is a disaster waiting to happen, and people here have already pointed out that the configuration is confusing enough to cause some to ride in the wrong direction in the lane.   

Yes. CDOT tells me the best way to get input to the CDOT Bike Program about this bridge and other issues related to existing infrastructure is to call 311 or email cdotnews@cityofchicago.org - both of these are tracked, which ensures that you'll get some kind of response.

Meet me here at 5:45 PM Tuesday afternoon to discuss the bridge lane design with me. I'll be proposing an alternative design in the coming weeks. (Sorry for the late notice.)

An issue with 311, that Open 311 may correct, is that you cannot submit photographs with your report. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service