Today on Grid Chicago, Steven Vance examines drivers' claims that the new protected bike lane on Kinzie is causing traffic jams. Read the story here:

http://gridchicago.com/2011/judging-traffic-congestion-on-kinzie-st...

Steven's post includes an eye-opening, from-the-handlebars video of car traffic before and after the protected bike lane was built.

What do you think - has the Kinzie protected lane had an adverse effect on motorized traffic flow? Or, if CDOT's goal with this project was "to reduce the amount of vehicle traffic and increase the amount of bike traffic," as spokesman Brian Steele said, is slower car traffic really such a bad thing?

Keep moving forward,

John Greenfield

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the video is inconclusive as the bike is moving faster (obviously) in the second half so you are not able to see how the cars are affected.

I am not sure if it has increased traffic there on Kinzie, I have to imagine it moves far more efficiently though with the absence of the folks that wanted to jam their cars into a space 2 abreast that really could not really accommodate it.

While driving I would rather go a little bit slower than constantly merge.  It makes me crazy when people constantly change lanes and try to squeeze where they won't fit.  It isn't safe.  It isn't sane.  

Tim S said:

the video is inconclusive as the bike is moving faster (obviously) in the second half so you are not able to see how the cars are affected.

I am not sure if it has increased traffic there on Kinzie, I have to imagine it moves far more efficiently though with the absence of the folks that wanted to jam their cars into a space 2 abreast that really could not really accommodate it.

I think congestion is somewhat worse than before the lanes were installed, but I'm not terribly concerned about it.

I think it is a safer road for motorized vehicles.  

Cars can no longer play Super Mario Cart along this stretch of non-highway surface street.  Perhaps for the guys who used to push by other cars at high speed on the right and then jam back in front of them feel they can't race down this road as quickly as they used to.  But as a safe/sane driver who doesn't appreciate these D-bags or their aggressive driving around me while car-ing it I appreciate the improved driving experience. 

I use the Kinzie street protected bike lane almost daily. I’d say that in the first few weeks motorized traffic definitely backed up, especially going east in front of the traffic light at Wells. It would often back up well beyond Franklin

But after a few weeks, it appeared to lighten up. Not sure why that happened. It could be that motorist found alternative east-west routes, or that they got used to it and move more quickly.

As the article correctly states, it is all a little guesswork until more detailed counts are done.
I think partly this was caused by the wacker drive construction closures.  More cars where using Kinzie than normally would have to avoid the Lake st congestion.  Once Washington re-opened the amount of traffic on Kinzie died down.  I think traffic congestion is better, it flows at a slower pace instead of start/stop. The street is much nicer for both bike and car travel, as there is no more divide/merge conflict occuring. 

Duppie said:

I use the Kinzie street protected bike lane almost daily. I’d say that in the first few weeks motorized traffic definitely backed up, especially going east in front of the traffic light at Wells. It would often back up well beyond Franklin

But after a few weeks, it appeared to lighten up. Not sure why that happened. It could be that motorist found alternative east-west routes, or that they got used to it and move more quickly.

As the article correctly states, it is all a little guesswork until more detailed counts are done.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service