The Chainlink

I rode in to work today, and now I'm thinking I might have to bus it half the way home.  I live about 7 miles from my office which really isn't bad, but man it is hot out there.  I was just wondering if I'm the only one considering wussing out.

Views: 3627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I spit in the face of the grim reaper, when your 58 and ride, you can do that...did 30 miles this morning. I use quart Gatoraid bottles half frozen with water in an insulated bag on my rack with a blue ice cooler...Ice cold water the entire trip. I reload at a park fountain...Two quart trip.
Classic quote. This should be added to some chicago bike book.

Bernard Joseph Hannigan said:
I spit in the face of the grim reaper, when your 58 and ride, you can do that...did 30 miles this morning.

 AM rides in are so far so good, and yesterday's fog along the lakefront was a blessing. After-work rides home have been a bit challenging, but was doing okay until this afternoon.... been keeping hydrated and all, but the last couple of miles were rough today. i kept the pace slow, but i was really glad to get off the bike this afternoon.

OTOH, it beats the hell out of what we had in March, and in the heat my joints don't hurt so much, so i'll keep at it through the week.

 

Ive known some that fill their riding cap with ice cubes and put it on and that seems to help.  It also creates a running shower enroute to work.  Personally I think a cap helps as the visor keeps some of the sun out but decent sunglasses are a must.  Ive noticed everyone going slower in general.  I try to take shaded streets with lots of trees as much as possible.
96 degrees, 104 heat index. Got home without any trouble, not counting a cab that tried to run me over.
In this heat I try and ride in the shade, taking the side streets, as much as possible.  I also try and stop in the shade at red lights, even if it means stopping ten feet behind the line.
I'm not riding much, except very early in the morning.

Duppie said:

Don't let yourself be persuaded by the "I'll ride in any weather crowd". While they might feel comfortable in this heat, it doesn't mean that you will.

 

Heat stroke is a real danger in weather like this. No need to suffer a heat stroke only because you feel taking the bus home makes you look like a wussy.

I'll second that.  I'm using those same ideas when riding or walking in this heat.  When I was walking home from the train tonight, my route was heavily influenced by where there was shade or a sprinkler.  I crossed the street a couple of times to take advantage of sprinklers.

Mark Kenseth said:
In this heat I try and ride in the shade, taking the side streets, as much as possible.  I also try and stop in the shade at red lights, even if it means stopping ten feet behind the line.
These are all great suggestions. I recommend taking the lakefront trail if you can, and jumping in the water every couple miles--nice while I'm in the water, and a lot cooler when I get back on the bike. Definitely makes the 17-mile trip to work and home a lot more enjoyable!

Anne Alt said:
I'll second that.  I'm using those same ideas when riding or walking in this heat.  When I was walking home from the train tonight, my route was heavily influenced by where there was shade or a sprinkler.  I crossed the street a couple of times to take advantage of sprinklers.

Mark Kenseth said:
In this heat I try and ride in the shade, taking the side streets, as much as possible.  I also try and stop in the shade at red lights, even if it means stopping ten feet behind the line.

Sweating takes toxins out of your body so no, and it has to be this hot before I really start to sweat.

A trip to the lake will cool me off just fine, although by the time I get back home I'm hot again.

 

But I could really do without being trapped in between cars or a bus at a light on days like this.

I've still been doing my 14 mi round trip commute.  Mornings have been ok but coming home has not been fun.  I find myself staying at the office to soak up the AC longer (getting a lot done after others have gone home is a bonus!).  Today I was running errands right slap in the middle of the day and it took quite a while to recover once I got home.  I'm gonna try some of the iced water ideas.  Metal water bottle in a black saddle bag=hot!

There is an air quality alert, so that makes sense. It is definitely affecting me as well.


I have been trying to stay out of the heat, but I also have a three year old who overheats quickly. We've been sticking closer to home this past week.


Megan Hauser said:

I usually ride 13 miles round trip to Evanston and back, but I live half a block from the UP North Metra. This week I've taken the train every day. When I leave the house at 5:50 a.m., I think, eh, this doesn't seem so bad, but by the time I come home I'm thankful to be getting on the train. Aside from the heat, the air quality also seems really bad, as my throat feels kind of tight after walking outside for a couple minutes.

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service