The Chainlink

is biking to work making you a happier person, or an angrier one?

So - I love riding my bike to work (which happens to be in downtown chicago).

However, I often arrive at work angry and/or sad and/or shaken by the behavior of clueless, distracted, thoughtless, reckless, etc. drivers…and sometimes pedestrians…and sometimes other bikers.

My assumption has always been that riding to work wakes me up, and energizes me, and makes me happier, but this morning I was thinking: Am I confusing “angry” with “awake”?

Does starting the day off in fighter mode change our days (and how we behave ourselves) for the worse?

anyone else have these thoughts on their way to work? 

Views: 1847

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Way happier, but I do find myself getting angry at other bikers, not peds or cars.

Why do people have to pull right in front of me at lights and proceed at 2mph? I'm not fast but I do try to keep a pace.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that could make biking worse than riding the CTA is actually getting hit by a car.

Love my commute! Love it! Happy. Happy.

The idea that confusing "angry" with "awake" made me chuckle, but in general I think I'm much more agreeable after a bike commute vs the train.  Especially at the end of the day.

On the days I have to take CTA for whatever reason, I am much more frustrated and annoyed than I am when I bike to work. Coworkers have occasionally noticed that I tend toward crankiness when I don't ride!

Just look at my photos. Plus, I am improving my health, enjoying the endorphine high, saving $10,000 per year, do not go to court for traffic tickets, have no time-consuming repairs, do not pollute my environment and I feel like I am 10 again.

Always happier on the way to work.  But agro/idiot drivers during 5 o'clock rush hour have been known to turn me into a foaming psychopath. Broadway-Lawrence to Rogers Park means a mean ride up Broadway. 

Don't let them make you angry.   Ride through it all alert, self-aware, and above the clash of emotions swirling around you -surf the chaos.   Don't the the chaos suck you in.

It depends on how many people cut me off. Once the heart rate slows down I calm down.

+1

James BlackHeron said:

Don't let them make you angry.   Ride through it all alert, self-aware, and above the clash of emotions swirling around you -surf the chaos.   Don't the the chaos suck you in.

';-)

Usually I love my bike commute but sometimes I get a little angry and on those days I try to just pull over for a break, take a side street, experiment with a different route, try to sort of create my own goodwill with the people I interact with. There's so much I'd miss out on by being stuck on a bus. A few weeks ago I pulled up alongside a minivan at an intersection and was entertaining some toddlers in the back seat by making faces at them.  It was such a great interaction, so great to be silly while riding home! I also find that taking a tree lined side street instantly relaxes me and you'd never get that view up at the canopy if you were in a bus or car. So yeah, I know what you mean and certainly some days are better than others but at least for me there are things I can do to improve a bad ride. I always make sure to leave myself extra time so that I'm not rushing anywhere and that makes a big difference. Just remembering to slow down and enjoy the view can make any trip better. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service