The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138539

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm house sitting in Evanston for a month and this morning was my first ride in to work from the new local.  So much different riding across town in Evanston that from Uptown into Evanston. 

Also, inspired by the previous post, I have a new/old steed almost ready to test, I now have Saturday's free for a while, I'm living in Evanston for a month....

Anyone have any suggestions for a scenic 100 mile ride starting and ending Evanston?  I'd like to do a day trip of 100 miles, and avoid busy roads and see as much nature as possible.

Ok, so this is my second day from my new living quarters.  its only half the distance.  3.5 is sooo much shorter than 7.  I have to say though, there are some very scenic stretches in E-town.  I think im going to have to polish my bicycle or I might get a ticket for it being too dirty.  In Uptown things are a little less tidy.  Its like riding through a John Hughes movie.  I think I saw Molly Ringwald waiting for the school bus... oh wait she's probably too cool to take the bus. 

Or too old. ;)

Robert Underwood said:

I think I saw Molly Ringwald waiting for the school bus... oh wait she's probably too cool to take the bus. 

I didn't, but my ride is currently relocated to a tiny stretch of Evanston.  I miss my 7.  maybe a parks department golf cart blew a gasket.

rwein5 said:

Anyone notice the oil slick on the LFT from North Ave until (at least) Oak? Did someone over oil their chain or something?

I could be mistaken, but I don't think there is a requirement that your route between home and work needs to be as close to a straight line as possible. Just make a new 7... :-)

Robert Underwood said:

I didn't, but my ride is currently relocated to a tiny stretch of Evanston.  I miss my 7.

I think I'm going to try that.  I need to map it out first... I don't know Evanston at all except what I used to do when leaving the south edge of it.  now I'm at the far northwest corner.  made two wrong turns this morning. but I'll admit, there is a part of me that wants to follow the path of least resistance, which in this case, is no more than 3.5 miles.

It wasn't raining up north but the drizzle got heavy enough in town to get me pretty wet today.  Good thing I can park under cover and let my clothes dry in the office.

3.5 miles... and I still managed to be late this morning.  nice ride... northwest Evanston is so clean and sweet smelling.  I'm still getting used to the difference between it and my regular ride from Uptown.  No trash, no cta bus grit up my nostrils, no side swiping piles of broken glass and car parts (or the occasional article of clothing)...  instead, large old trees shading freshly swept streets, grey SUV's waiting politely (not really) at every intersection, and I kept thinking I was seeing the Home Alone house.

Robert Underwood said:

.... and I kept thinking I was seeing the Home Alone house.

Not sure about the Home Alone house (I think it's in Wilmette), but the Uncle Buck house is on Lincoln. :-)

sweet, ill see if I can spot it, I take Lincoln for a stretch

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Robert Underwood said:

.... and I kept thinking I was seeing the Home Alone house.

Not sure about the Home Alone house (I think it's in Wilmette), but the Uncle Buck house is on Lincoln. :-)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service