The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just remembered the other thing that was unpleasant. Even though the wind was from the north it had an unpleasant smell, like meat processing....

Shouldn't north side air smell like Blommer's, or Starbuck's, or massage oil wafting from the spas, or at least draft microbrews wafting out of sports bars...?

East wind was much stronger than I expected!  When I got up to my office I could see that the flags are constantly fully extended from the wind.  Weather reports only said about 10 mph. WRONG!

Rode in another Winter day...

Over it...

I rode this morning, but I didn't notice any stench other than the exhaust from the vehicles as they impatiently roared past me like I was an oversized insect blocking their path. 

Yes, its true, sometimes the northside will give off a strong meat processing aroma, but normally it smells like yummy vanilla soy lattes.

h' 1.0 said:

I just remembered the other thing that was unpleasant. Even though the wind was from the north it had an unpleasant smell, like meat processing....

Shouldn't north side air smell like Blommer's, or Starbuck's, or massage oil wafting from the spas, or at least draft microbrews wafting out of sports bars...?

Colder than advertised, at least for my toes.  Riding against he wind off the lake didn't help.  Watch, it'll turn around and I'll have to ride into the wind heading home, too.

If you're headed home out Elston or Milwaukee this afternoon, it looks like you'll have a nice tailwind.

Man! I didn't feel any wind going north and east, but felt like I was flying easy. Guess this is the fabulous tail wind you guys write about at times. The craters are getting scary, but watch out for the strange late crater dodgers. I think I saw three vehicles hit a pot hole then start swerving crazy wide. Delayed reaction? Coffee spilling on laps? What da what.

A fair amount of broken glass on Clark in Wrigleyville too.  I pried a piece out of my Ribmo tread at a stop light.  Fingers crossed that it didn't leave behind a slow leak surprise when I leave tonight.

rwein5 said:

Watch out for the broken glass on the LFT. St. Patrick's Day revelers left a heap of green shards a little north of the Oak St ramp, covering the west half of the trail.

Im just glad the roads are clearing up.

Im a design student working on a project regarding bike safety in the city.  If anyone could take a minute to please help me out by filling out this survey it would be truly appreciated!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9JG5TC2

Thanks,

Jon.

Dear Mr. Owens:

The problem with any survey is the nature of the questions.    You left out some very important "answers".   For example, you asked what made a rider feel "less safe" but left out from the options "Bike Lanes".    You also asked whether I felt safer using protected bike lanes, but didn't ask compared to what.   Do I feel safer in a PBL than riding on the Kennedy late at night?  You bet.  Do I feel safer in a PBL than riding in a regular bike lane?   Yup.   Do I feel safer riding in a PBL than riding on a low traffic parallel one way street?  Nope.   

Crazy David 84 Furlongs said:

Dear Mr. Owens:

The problem with any survey is the nature of the questions.    You left out some very important "answers".   For example, you asked what made a rider feel "less safe" but left out from the options "Bike Lanes".    You also asked whether I felt safer using protected bike lanes, but didn't ask compared to what.   Do I feel safer in a PBL than riding on the Kennedy late at night?  You bet.  Do I feel safer in a PBL than riding in a regular bike lane?   Yup.   Do I feel safer riding in a PBL than riding on a low traffic parallel one way street?  Nope.   

David,

Thanks for the response this is very helpful!  Ive been able to find some resources regarding crashes from the CDOT crash report.  Unfortunately survey monkey only lets me use 10 questions haha.  If you had any additional resource you feel that I may benefit from that would be wonderful!

Thanks,

Jon.

No wind plus above freezing temps equals happy cyclist. Been riding the new bargesque, geared, fendered,  quasitouring bike and it's been an absolute joy. Saw a few folks out on Armitage and many of Elston.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service