The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Last night I got completely drenched because I didn't feel like stopping to put on all my rain gear, plus I wasn't cold anyway, just wet.  there were some huge puddles and I wasn't ready for one and got a bunch of water down into my boot.  some puddles were like six inches deep along the evanston lft and big ones on the chi lft as well.  this morning was fine, I liked that the roads were not wet at all.  And the wind helped me most of the way, but every so often with out warning it would wip around and hit me from the side or front... almost knocked me over once as I was slowing down coming to a red light about to put my foot down, as far as balance goes that's my weak moment.  almost got me. 

I did not ride today. Side streets looked icy, and while main roads seemed okay, the ice seems to magically pile up right where the bike lane starts.

Your mind may be great, but mine is just mediocre. I get lucky a lot. Keep taking those photos; they look terrific.

rwein5 said:

I took a nearly identical pic last week! Great minds...

You made a good choice. I was in a car on Clark St., a main road, this morning and saw a number of cyclists. I regretted being in a car until I saw a guy going northbound in Andersonville fall over at an intersection. It seemed that he hit an unanticipated patch of ice. Fortunately, he was not hit by anything other than the pavement. He got up and was inspecting his bike which did not look damaged. 

Adam Herstein said:

I did not ride today. Side streets looked icy, and while main roads seemed okay, the ice seems to magically pile up right where the bike lane starts.

Glad he was okay! Ice + high wind is usually not a good combination. Plus, the Lake Front Trail was in such bad shape last night, I doubt it has improved any today. Usually when I anticipate poor conditions on the LFT, I take my "snow route" which is Broadway–Clark–Wells to the Loop, but even those streets had icy spots.

David Barish said:

You made a good choice. I was in a car on Clark St., a main road, this morning and saw a number of cyclists. I regretted being in a car until I saw a guy going northbound in Andersonville fall over at an intersection. It seemed that he hit an unanticipated patch of ice. Fortunately, he was not hit by anything other than the pavement. He got up and was inspecting his bike which did not look damaged. 

Adam Herstein said:

Wind was brutal this morning. With sunny skies now the ride home shouldn't be too bad.

Looks like someone dropped their blue-rasberry slushy.  Mmmm... so delish.

Gene Tenner said:

Was actually not bad this morning. What's it like this evening?

Nice except when the wind gusts.

'Twas a nice ride home unless you are someone who is just cruising along the lakefront trail when your derailleur snaps off, you try to velcro it so you you can make it home, but that doesn't work, and then you remember that some bikes have chains wiith removable links and you find yours, remove the link - you have never done this before - remove the derailleur in 20 degree weather with 20 mph winds that are blowing your trike around and numbing your fingers, and single-speed it 2 miles to your favorits bike shop, Uptown Bikes, where they eagerly reaasure you that everything is all right and they will fix it.

I hope that was not you and write long, run-on sentences.

Well of course it was actually about 33 degrees, so no one would have had this happen to them or write run-on sentences about something that could not have happened today.

Gene Tenner said:

'Twas a nice ride home unless you are someone who is just cruising along the lakefront trail when your derailleur snaps off, you try to velcro it so you you can make it home, but that doesn't work, and then you remember that some bikes have chains wiith removable links and you find yours, remove the link - you have never done this before - remove the derailleur in 20 degree weather with 20 mph winds that are blowing your trike around and numbing your fingers, and single-speed it 2 miles to your favorits bike shop, Uptown Bikes, where they eagerly reaasure you that everything is all right and they will fix it.

I hope that was not you and write long, run-on sentences.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service