The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Lisa! I find it a lot easier to be "courageous" (my wife uses another word) when the streets are mostly nice and dry for the morning commute. At least we won't have to worry too much about what might be under the potential snow.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Nope!  Be safe everyone who has the courage to ride today.  The weather map has so many pretty colors on it, and this forecast:  A mixture of snow, sleet and/or freezing rain will develop by 9am. Cloudy and windy. Temperatures steady near 35F. Winds NE at 20 to 25 mph. 

Tony, I understand.  As I left to walk to the subway I was thinking that maybe I should go back and take my bike, but then I reminded myself of the forecast for the afternoon. ;-)

Tony Adams 6.6 mi said:

Thanks Lisa! I find it a lot easier to be "courageous" (my wife uses another word) when the streets are mostly nice and dry for the morning commute. At least we won't have to worry too much about what might be under the potential snow.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Nope!  Be safe everyone who has the courage to ride today.  The weather map has so many pretty colors on it, and this forecast:  A mixture of snow, sleet and/or freezing rain will develop by 9am. Cloudy and windy. Temperatures steady near 35F. Winds NE at 20 to 25 mph. 

Getting slightly less courageous as the hail ice has already started falling round Douglas park. I figure the 12 or 18 can always solve some problems. This mornings ride was way nice. Wish I was el-ccessible.

I rode yesterday knowing I wouldn't want to try it today.  Hope things are cleared off for tomorrow.

Alternatively, you can skip the face covering and treat it as a microdermabrasion session.  People pay good money for that.

Chi Lowe 12.5+ mi said:

Just came off a 10-miler on the LFP.  It's getting real out there.  If you're riding:

1. Wear something to cover your face - the ice is wind-driven and it hurts.
  2. Ditto (1) for your eyes.
  3. Make extra time if you need to get somewhere on a schedule.  The wind is coming in from the NNE at a constant 20 miles per hour.  Queue Foghat.

Stay alert out there in the street.  Last mile was Wilson -> Clark -> Lawrence.  Cagers are already getting antsy and acting up.

damn cagers :))  I know how to drive in snow when I have :))

S said:

Alternatively, you can skip the face covering and treat it as a microdermabrasion session.  People pay good money for that.

Chi Lowe 12.5+ mi said:

Just came off a 10-miler on the LFP.  It's getting real out there.  If you're riding:

1. Wear something to cover your face - the ice is wind-driven and it hurts.
  2. Ditto (1) for your eyes.
  3. Make extra time if you need to get somewhere on a schedule.  The wind is coming in from the NNE at a constant 20 miles per hour.  Queue Foghat.

Stay alert out there in the street.  Last mile was Wilson -> Clark -> Lawrence.  Cagers are already getting antsy and acting up.

For a 2-minute, 27-second video of my snowy, windy commute home today, click here. I apologize for the water droplets on the lens, but it was unavoidable in this snarly weather.

Love the video, Gene.  You so nicely captured the beauty of the park in the snow and the "angry" lake!  My volume was not loud enough to really hear the music.  Was it Vivaldi?

The ride this morning on Milwaukee was quite nice.  Love these temperatures, no wind in my face, hardly any traffic and the road was clear from curb to curb.  Side streets impassable for my bike, though.  Kinzie had some iffy spots, mostly at intersections with streets and driveways where snow was dragged from turning vehicles.

I think you are right, although I am not sure. I have a short memory span.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Was it Vivaldi?

For more bike commute photos from today, click here.

Very gray today with a mix of spit and snow.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service