The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does degreaser fall into the category of "solvent"? I've been very happy with the locally produced (I think?) El Duke. http://eldukedegreaser.com/

notoriousDUG said:

Regardless of what you oil chains with the key to having the lubricant be effective is in how you oil your chain.  The first step any, and every, time that you oil your chain is to take a rag with either solvent or a bit of lube on it and wipe your chain down well

I would say yes; just anything to get the yuck off the chain.  Personally I try to avoid cleaning a chian beyond the outside unless it is REALLY filthy.

El Duke was locally made but it, sadly, is no longer in production.  If you have some guard it like gold.

Tony Adams said:

Does degreaser fall into the category of "solvent"? I've been very happy with the locally produced (I think?) El Duke. http://eldukedegreaser.com/

notoriousDUG said:

Regardless of what you oil chains with the key to having the lubricant be effective is in how you oil your chain.  The first step any, and every, time that you oil your chain is to take a rag with either solvent or a bit of lube on it and wipe your chain down well

When I have  a serious case of thread drift I find many of the products discussed above will assist in getting my metaphysical derrailer back on track.  As far as the topic de jour, sorry to say I did not ride today.

I rode today. I am beginning to wonder what happened to the biking in winter, as it seems to feel like spring outside.  I am sure we will get dumped on by snow sooner or later, so I am enjoying the weather for as long as I can. 

Yes, but each wonderful day now is a day closer to SPRING!

Melanie said:

I rode today. I am beginning to wonder what happened to the biking in winter, as it seems to feel like spring outside.  I am sure we will get dumped on by snow sooner or later, so I am enjoying the weather for as long as I can. 

I go with TriFlo, a good wipe down, apply oil, wipe excess. Once a week.

I see where you went there.  ; )

David Barish said:

... derrailer back on track.  

Rode today. It's nice out.

I'm a fan of "Clean Ride". It's a wax based lubricant that has a solvent in it. I put the chain in a bottle, load the bottle with some and shake. It cleans and lubricates at the same time. Pretty nice stuff.

Chain-L appears to work in low temps.  It's pretty thick though but it wicks into rollers and stays there.  I believe Chain-L is based on mineral oil with additives so it'll thicken but it'll still work until about -22F or thereabouts.  

Gene Tenner said:

Does Chain-L work in low temperatures? I use ProLink because it does, even at 0 degrees. Finish Line products thicken when it drops below 30 degrees. With a recument - 3 lengths of chain on it - chain lubing is critical.

Yes I did, but I have to say I'm disappointed in the weather. After last years snowy winter, I've been looking forward to some snow rides. They are, by far, the most exciting commutes I have all year.

Is it just me, or is anyone else dying to see the white stuff fly?

As a skinny tire rider I can go much faster if I don't have to lug out the mountain bike to plow through bad streets.  I'll take the quicker commute and whatever cold temp it is over the snow all day.  

Maybe just on the weekends provided it melts by Monday?

Barclor said:

Yes I did, but I have to say I'm disappointed in the weather. After last years snowy winter, I've been looking forward to some snow rides. They are, by far, the most exciting commutes I have all year.

It's not only you. I'd like to see some snow on the ground and I'd like to get in some snow rides.

Barclor said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service