The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138540

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I rode last night and arrived home soaked through, ended up having some chicken soup for dinner because I felt shivery. Shouldn't have stopped at REI, should have gone STRAIGHT home. Whoops. On the bright side, I think I figured out how I'm going to go clipless soon. 

I wasn't going to ride this morning because I was feeling lazy and it was chilly and cloudy, but then the news told me the blue line was delayed, so I changed real fast and headed out on time. Thank goodness too - the bus stops were all packed, looks like it was a crappy morning to be on the train. Just hoping I don't get rained on again tonight. 

Nice.  I've got Vittorias on both o' my bikes now. Affordable and they don't fall apart like the cheap 15$ ones, Kendas or something.  sometimes they last, but I've had numerous ones of that cheap brand that tore/burst right through the tread after a couple weeks or a month.  Seemed like it was a faulty rubber coating.

Highly recommended by the guy at the shop. I am sick of flats due to these darned potholes everywhere. Hopefully this helps. I hit a couple smaller ones and they seemed good. 

Robert Underwood said:

Nice.  I've got Vittorias on both o' my bikes now. Affordable and they don't fall apart like the cheap 15$ ones, Kendas or something.  sometimes they last, but I've had numerous ones of that cheap brand that tore/burst right through the tread after a couple weeks or a month.  Seemed like it was a faulty rubber coating.

Nice ride in, pretty much like yesterday... 55°, slight headwind, overcast. 

I like riding clipless. I've only used spd's.  I keep noticing all the other types, like the ones that look like egg beaters, the circle shaped ones, and others.  Which are you considering?  

Michelle Milham said:

On the bright side, I think I figured out how I'm going to go clipless soon. 

It was a nice ride today, but I pushed it really fast (I'm suddenly discovering I can maintain like 18 and this is new for me and really fun (when it's safe...) so now I'm tired at work haha. 

I'm thinking about spds. They seem to be best fit to the way I ride. I'm thinking the M342s that have the clip on one side and a platform on another, combined with some Pearl Izumi "mountain" shoes that look like road shoes but are walkable/have recessed cleats. This way, I can clip in or both feet or not in traffic, depending on the situation, and still be able to pedal, and on my long rides I can just clip in both feet. 

Robert Underwood said:

Nice ride in, pretty much like yesterday... 55°, slight headwind, overcast. 

I like riding clipless. I've only used spd's.  I keep noticing all the other types, like the ones that look like egg beaters, the circle shaped ones, and others.  Which are you considering?  

Michelle Milham said:

On the bright side, I think I figured out how I'm going to go clipless soon. 

that sounds good! I want my next pair of clipless shoes to have recessed cleats.  I've used mine (are not recessed) for touring and walking around, and they slip on hard smooth surfaces and cake up with dirt if I walk in grass.  

Michelle Milham said:

I'm thinking the M342s that have the clip on one side and a platform on another, combined with some Pearl Izumi "mountain" shoes that look like road shoes but are walkable/have recessed cleats.

I use Look KeO pedals. Between the "grippy" cleats and cheap cleat covers, I've not had any problem walking on smooth surfaces. Here are a couple links, just so folks know what I'm referring to. I'm not endorsing these vendors. They just popped up in a Google search:

I doubt this sort of accessory is necessary with most SPD pedals, as most shoes people use with them tend to have recessed cleat mounts. OTOH, the contact area between your foot and the pedal is rather small, which can result in "hot foot" on longer rides. I don't generally have that sort of problem with KeOs.

Robert Underwood said:

I've used mine (are not recessed) for touring and walking around, and they slip on hard smooth surfaces and cake up with dirt if I walk in grass. 

I actually have some Look pedals that I found somewhere, just never bothered to see what cleats work with them.  So with those cleat covers, you just take them off every time you clip in, then put em back on when walking around? 

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

I use Look KeO pedals. Between the "grippy" cleats and cheap cleat covers, I've not had any problem walking on smooth surfaces.

Yup. They slip on and off easily, sometimes of their own accord. I store them in and under seat bag or jersey pocket while on the bike.

Nice ride, a super °65!!!  Sunshine, smiling people... actually I don't remember a single smiling person, myself included.  But I was happy on the inside! And I still am!!! where's my damn coffee.

I looked at my pedals that I thought were "Look", but they aren't, they're "Ride".

I'm going to have to start setting out a bit earlier. More and more cyclists on the southside LFP in the mornings, and they're getting more aggressive about riding in oncoming traffic lane. Northside was pretty diplomatic, though. It's funny how the character changes - on the southside, you see a lot more of the racers ducked into their aero bars, but on the northside, you see a lot more panniers and obvious commuters.

The cyclists riding through stoplights are really starting to get on my nerves.

Perfect weekend to get out and enjoy the ride!  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service