The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cold and windy one this morning - only say one other cyclist and @ 30 runners/walkers on the LFP from Hollywood south to around Oak (didn't fancy seeing how clear/bad the path was around Oak Street Beach). Found ice on the OUTSIDE of my helmet around the air vents when I took it off!

I thought I had a tailwind for a bit, but then it became more of a cross wind and little gusts of headwind.  not too cold.  cars were friendly. 

I biked in today, mostly because I don't want to miss another month of CCM tonight. I saw ZERO (0!) bikers on ChiLFT heading south (or for that matter, north), from Berwyn to Belmont, where I switched to the inner path because I just could not take any more of that head wind. Streets were a lot easier to navigate.

I didn't see any other bikers on the LFP this morning, either, though the runner density had increased. A smooth, uneventful ride. Lots and lots of salt at some points.

I'm finding that I barely notice - or maybe it's remember - the cold any more. I just get up, and in my early-morning half-awareness, I move mechanically to put on my gear. And then, once the routine is underway, I automatically just go outside and dive in. It's a weird mental space - do I feel cold? I think that I do, at first. But I can hardly remember feeling the cold, reflecting back now. 

Ditto.  I do notice when (rarely) forget to check the temp and dress a layer too few... but I think I'm so used to the usual first ten minutes of "cold" (the time it takes my body temp to reach cruising level) that I don't think of it as cold... more of a warm up.  either way I give it little thought.  and being in a hurry helps take my mind off other things and focuses it on pumping those pedals.

Simon Phearson said:

I'm finding that I barely notice - or maybe it's remember - the cold any more. I just get up, and in my early-morning half-awareness, I move mechanically to put on my gear. And then, once the routine is underway, I automatically just go outside and dive in. It's a weird mental space - do I feel cold? I think that I do, at first. But I can hardly remember feeling the cold, reflecting back now. 

Must be nice. Meanwhile, I'm still freezing my ass off. :-)

Simon Phearson said:

I was quite warm this morning. In fact, my hands were sweating inside my gloves. Must have something to do with the terrific headwinds on LFP.

Me too, sort of.  I mean the headwind was fierce this morning and I definitely noticed the sting on my exposed face, but otherwise I was perfectly fine.  The one plus to this winter is that it has upped my tolerance for cold.  I'm not even bothered by another polar vortex, as long as it stays dry. When it gets above 30, I ride in just my base layer now, no coat.

Robert Underwood said:

Ditto.  I do notice when (rarely) forget to check the temp and dress a layer too few... but I think I'm so used to the usual first ten minutes of "cold" (the time it takes my body temp to reach cruising level) that I don't think of it as cold... more of a warm up.  either way I give it little thought.  and being in a hurry helps take my mind off other things and focuses it on pumping those pedals.

Simon Phearson said:

Inspired by ChiBikeGeek and because like Nançois I had to for Critical Mass, I bike commuted today, almost certainly setting a new personal record low (~12F). Despite lots of familiarity with bike winter protocols, three layers of gloves, three layers of socks, balaclava and cap, thermal inners top and bottom, the forty minute (~6mile) ride to work was fortunately exactly as long as I could tolerate.  But I'm very glad to now know it's achievable.  The headwind I must say was an impressive capper, demonstrating just how blithely indifferent nature is to our comfort.

For all of us who fought the headwind on the way in, for once it looks like it will be a tailwind going home!

Strange. Maybe because I started a bit later today... I found it mild and didn't notice any wind at all.

Your route is kind of mixed, isn't it, between the LFP and streets? I get a benefit in that 80% of my commute is on the LFP, so I can get into a zone and just warm up as I go. I'm not sure it'd be as easy if I had to stop for stoplights and deal with traffic the whole way. My office is about a mile off the LFP, so while I'm just cooling down in the mornings, in the evenings I'm pretty chilly until I get to the trail and start accelerating. 

Adam Herstein said:

Must be nice. Meanwhile, I'm still freezing my ass off. :-)

Simon Phearson said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service