The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hear ya, Gene.  This is my 1st 'bent winter, so there have been "teaching moments" aplenty for me :). Studded tires are great (love my Schwalbes) on ice, but I find it still gets interesting going through snow patches, on a SWB 2-wheeler w/ USS.  No "un-do-able" conditions, yet, but really hoping things let up just a hair :). 

Gene Tenner said:

Not today; I almost never ride on Thursdays. But ....

Last night on the way home on the west side of Lake Shore Drive at Fullerton I went down the underpass and saw large ice pad at the bottom. Trikes do very well on ice, so I went ahead in a high gear only to discover that it was ice AND water, 6 inches of water.

I made it half way through.

I cannot get off the trike to pull the trike out, because my feet would get soaked and I would not survive that ride home. I was in too high a gear to pedal efficiently. I was stuck.

Gradually I moved a few inches at a time until I cane to a big 4 inch block of ice that my rear tire could not get over. Now I am really stuck. Use my phone to dial 911?

Then I realized that I could step on the block of ice, pull the trike's rear wheel up on top of the ice and pedal forward. Repeat. Repeat until I found an area where I could pedal long enough to get into my lowest gear. That is when my studded snow tire that I just put on two days ago took over and I was able - ever sooo slowly - to work my way out.

Whew. The recumbent gods were with me.

Yes.  Almost felt like Spring after the last few days...

Divvied part way home last night. When dock-surfing the Divvy bike got stuck, despite showing a green light. So I had to bus the remainder home.

On the upside, I got to speak with a Divvy customer rep who had the most lovely French accent. That made up for it somewhat.

This morning rode in for the first time this week. It was lovely.

Sunrise reflecting off the ice on the lake this morning.

Gene and Skip - Thanks for the beautiful images.

I took a short Divvy ride this morning from the train to work. That made the downtown end of my trip more pleasant.

Rode in today for the first time since it snowed.  Cold doesn't concern me, but the ice/slush does!  I went over a ridge of packed snow and fishtailed a bit.  Luckily, no one was to the left of me and I was able to move to barer pavement.  

Took the day off and rode in the Amlings Cycle Toys for Tots ride with 94 of my closest friends!  Over 1900 toys donated to the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program.  It was a great ride!

Nice pics Gene, we always love a change in the season. The great thing is that we even had a few guests interested in taking a bike tour in these bike conditions! 

Yes, but if we get the snow that is forecast my bike will be spending the night at the office.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service