The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sick day #2. So much for kickin it in high gear for the new year. Watching snow fall from my recliner. Yuk! I'd rather be out in it!

I hear you Davo- of course, I also failed to wear snow pants/rain paint, forgot my change of clothes and also failed to take the bike that has fenders this morning. Didn't really notice until after I got to work. 

Davo said:

I did. But I didn't think that I would need to were my rubber pants. Big Mistake. Good thing I keep a change of clothes at work.
I was signing the "Almost home, don't break the collarbone" song on my commute this morning.

No biking today...yet another carring day for me. I'm still not 100% and I don't want to hurt myself by slipping in the snow. It sure looks pretty, though! 

In it to win--hope you don't have what I have. It seems to be a 2 week malady.

You must have a very interesting route - lots of ho's being greeted there.

Melanie said:

Hi ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go.

I pedal slow

due to the snow

Hi ho, hi ho, hi ho, hi ho...

This is the song I was singing as I pedaled through the slushy goo on my way to work this morning around 7:15 am. It was uplifting and helped ease my fear of slipping on something hidden under the light coat of slushy snow.  Although the wet snow was kind of yucky to ride in, I did enjoy the ride as much as I could, and I feel pretty darn proud of myself for making the 7.5 miles in to work.

Hahaha, I think that will become my going-home anthem.

Eduardo Acosta said:
I was signing the "Almost home, don't break the collarbone" song on my commute this morning.

Easy one today. I didn't like the feeling when my front wheel caught in a crack and getting out of it involved a little slippage, but otherwise I didn't find any of my ride slippery.

I just wish I could be one of those "15 minutes early for everything" people so I could really enjoy the ride and not just worry about being late.

I do travel past what is left of the no-tell motels on North Lincoln Avenue. :) 

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

You must have a very interesting route - lots of ho's being greeted there.

Melanie said:

Hi ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go.

I pedal slow

due to the snow

Hi ho, hi ho, hi ho, hi ho...

This is the song I was singing as I pedaled through the slushy goo on my way to work this morning around 7:15 am. It was uplifting and helped ease my fear of slipping on something hidden under the light coat of slushy snow.  Although the wet snow was kind of yucky to ride in, I did enjoy the ride as much as I could, and I feel pretty darn proud of myself for making the 7.5 miles in to work.

Today was my first ride in the snow. I just got fenders yesterday (finally) so I felt ready. My daughter and I set out this morning with fluffy snow falling and lots of cars skidding in the roads. I rode slowly and discovered that I needed to brake differently so I didn't skid into the intersections. I slid a few times, especially when I hit potholes and bumps in the road like H3N3, but managed to keep my balance and ride out each slide. It was much easier riding on the semi-plowed streets following the car tracks than on the side streets, of course. I don't think I will pick her up with the bike tonight, though, because I don't think I will feel comfortable in the dark.

I have to admit that, like Melanie, I am really proud to have ridden again today. One father at my daughter's daycare said, "Wow! Great riding today!". I was proud to have impressed someone other than myself! I know that the regular bikewinter folks are old hats at this but do you remember that sense of accomplishment you had when you first started biking in the winter?

Way to go, Sarah! I still get a sense of accomplishment and just warm-fuzziness when I am out in the messiness, esp when I have Miguel with me. (Will be picking him up from day care in the trailer soon ;-) I think part of it is that snow still thrills me a bit, and it definitely thrills him, so it's nice to feel like we are in the midst of the weather, if that makes sense. Also, Pollyanna talk aside, it is also a challenge sometimes, esp getting you and your child all geared up. So, yeah--hat's (and gloves, and boots) off to you!

Sarah, Holly and other newer to Bike Winter folks, let's definitely do some scheming about a presentation/celebration as part of the bike swap or bike swap weekend. I will email you off list. 

Sarah Graff said:

Today was my first ride in the snow. I just got fenders yesterday (finally) so I felt ready. My daughter and I set out this morning with fluffy snow falling and lots of cars skidding in the roads. I rode slowly and discovered that I needed to brake differently so I didn't skid into the intersections. I slid a few times, especially when I hit potholes and bumps in the road like H3N3, but managed to keep my balance and ride out each slide. It was much easier riding on the semi-plowed streets following the car tracks than on the side streets, of course. I don't think I will pick her up with the bike tonight, though, because I don't think I will feel comfortable in the dark.

I have to admit that, like Melanie, I am really proud to have ridden again today. One father at my daughter's daycare said, "Wow! Great riding today!". I was proud to have impressed someone other than myself! I know that the regular bikewinter folks are old hats at this but do you remember that sense of accomplishment you had when you first started biking in the winter?

Fresh snow days are the exception rather than the rule every winter, and conditions are a little different each time, so it never loses that 'first time' feel. What does wear off over time is the perception that it's near-impossible to ride in winter conditions, as you get more winter cycling days under your belt without adverse consequences. 

Sarah G said:

I know that the regular bikewinter folks are old hats at this but do you remember that sense of accomplishment you had when you first started biking in the winter?

Awesome ride even though a piece of salt punctured my tire.  Who knew that could happen?  Luckily I was only two blocks from Yojimbo's Garage where I chatted and did my own patch job.  Bought some much needed fenders while I was there.  Thinking about doing to the snow ride this evening.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service