The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw about 6 other cyclists on the way in.

I'm going to have to work on the foot warmth a little. Otherwise, not bad.

I just came in from uptown to merchandise mart via clark/wells. Only 4 other riders the whole way..two going north.  Not single rider until Armitage..that my friends is a record.

Like usual when it's sub 20 degrees my hands froze so jumped into TJ's on Diversey. Two minutes later back out and fine. I wear liners and ski gloves..still can't manage to keep hands warm. Strange enough doesn't seem to bother me going home after work..maybe circ. is up after all day.

Perhaps TMI but not a drop of sweat on me. I wear an Under Armour compression shirt and there is always some sweat on me by time I get to work..except for days like this!

Not a single other bike at Merch. Mart orleans bike rack.  Tells you something.

I rode this morning, it was very nice. I wore my hiking boots this morning with thick socks. My toes did not start to get cold until near the end of my six mile ride. My hands were OK, thumbs were starting to get cold. I wore a balaclava and knit cycling cap under my helmet, and wind pants over my street clothes. I was for the most part pretty toasty. It will be interesting to see how it goes on the way home. I should have the wind to my back for most of the ride. I really do enjoy Winter Biking.

I've ridden twice today already :-)

Yup. It looked like large sheets of clear ice sitting in the lake close to shore.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Gene, is that finally a little ice on the lake?

Just wait til tomorrow. I'll bet the expansion will be significant.

Gene Tenner said:

Yup. It looked like large sheets of clear ice sitting in the lake close to shore.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

About darned time, isn't it?

in it to win it 8.0 mi said:

Just wait til tomorrow. I'll bet the expansion will be significant.

Gene Tenner said:

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Oy vey! I biked today! And I guess I must not have been properly dressed because I don't think I weathered it nearly as well as other posters I've read today. Just two miles but my legs still have not warmed up!

I decided to leave my bike at work and take Metra home and to work in the morning. I am just not interested in battling 30 mph gusts at negative wind chills.

Hopefully it will be a little better tomorrow afternoon.

I rode home, but the wind is going to have to promise to die considerably for me to ride tomorrow.  Not so bad to have that northwest wind when riding south and southeast, but it was a battle going home.  I can't remember the last time it was such hard work to ride a bike!  And I took the 3 mile route home instead of the 4 mile route.

Colder than neoprene booties or midweight wool!!!

Just got back home...8 miles up wells to clark. Had to stop at starbucks at clark/wrightwood (next to sultans market) in order to defreeze hands. First time biking that head and legs were a little bit cold.  Coldest I remember biking in Chicago. Out of wind not so bad and after SB break on ride up clark I was fine. Not looking forward to tomorrow..I don't enjoy this but like the workout and bragging rights.

My gear

• feet - gyms socks and street socks. No problems. Gym shoes.
  • bottom - under armour winter running tights. Wouldh't want to be constricted by second layer. Great tights..maybe not enough for many on this ride but  normally quite toasty.
  • top  - armor cold weater compression. Nice suede jacket.  
  • Hands - ski gloves and silk liners..need to get something better for these days.
  • head - balaclava..will wear heat tomorrow.

For tomorrow will wear hat in addition to balaclava, maybe second pair of tights. probably wear shirt in addition to armor compression. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service