The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love the rumbling of those plates!

Will G - 10mi said:

Also, does anyone else find the noise that those new plates on the bridge make when you ride over them as awesome as I do?

I love the noise of me not falling off my bike. :-)

I liked the Wells ones better. I ended up memorizing the pattern of the noises that the slightly loose plates would make.

On my way home there were four horses--four-legged, breathing horses with CPD officers atop--in the bike lane in front of the Goodman Theatre.  They laughed when I rode slowly by and commented "not something we usually see here."  Wish I had had a camera.  I bet if I had asked they would have let me take a picture.

On a more mundane topic, the plates on the bridge appear to be about four shy of completion.

You're observant. :-) Talked to one of the workers when I walked by at lunch, and he said they had 4 more plates to install.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

/p>

On a more mundane topic, the plates on the bridge appear to be about four shy of completion.

I had my cell phone but didn't want to irritate the police.  Besides, the horses' noses where right about at eye level. :-)

I would be more worried about irritating the horses.  Those are very big horses and I bet they pack a nasty kick. ;-)  The police seemed to have a sense of humor.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

I had my cell phone but didn't want to irritate the police.  Besides, the horses' noses where right about at eye level. :-)

Some would say that I have an incredible grasp of the obvious. :-)

Cheryl said:

You're observant. :-) Talked to one of the workers when I walked by at lunch, and he said they had 4 more plates to install.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

/p>

Based on some adive in a differetn thread, I've been riding up Dearborn in the afternoon for the last few days,all the way to Oak, and then take Oak to the LFP. I'm pleasantly surprised how well I can catch lights. I get caught at Randolph, Illinois (or Grand?) and then again at Chestnut. Not too much traffic, and it flows well. It's probably the fastest way out of downtown, east of Halsted. 

I'll try it again, and see whether the spring break has an inordinate impact Of course, come summer I'll pretty much stay of LFP to begin with, but until then I might use it more often

The truck was on the bridge this morning.  I hope they are not going to split the last four plates into a two day job. ;-)

The plates on the bridge are finished!  I don't know what they are going to put up in place of the construction horse barriers, but no more grates to ride across.

Woohoo!

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

The plates on the bridge are finished!  I don't know what they are going to put up in place of the construction horse barriers, but no more grates to ride across.

Nice, but I'm curious, how will riding over those plates be next winter when they're iced over?

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service