The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe, maybe not.  The barge probably costs a few tens of  thousand per day, possibly a lot more if it has specialized equipment.  I can't see them keeping it for a few days more unless it really was the best, most cost effective way to do it.

Kevin C 4.1 mi said:

Due to the Wells Street bridge project, I suspect the use of barges for the Dearborn plate installation has something to do with their ready availability. 

blair_ said:

I thought the same thing about Clark, but not sure why Kinzie would be temporary?  Or maybe they did use a boat/barge for that PBL and I just never noticed?

I've been by there a couple of times this week-they've GOT spare barges.

S said:

Maybe, maybe not.  The barge probably costs a few tens of  thousand per day, possibly a lot more if it has specialized equipment.  I can't see them keeping it for a few days more unless it really was the best, most cost effective way to do it.

Kevin C 4.1 mi said:

Due to the Wells Street bridge project, I suspect the use of barges for the Dearborn plate installation has something to do with their ready availability. 

blair_ said:

I thought the same thing about Clark, but not sure why Kinzie would be temporary?  Or maybe they did use a boat/barge for that PBL and I just never noticed?

Finally riding without freezing!!

Bridge is ICE!  I went down hard on my knees.  Thank heaven for rain pants and jeans.  I think I will just have some nice bruises.

Hope you are ok, Lisa!!

The bridge is the worst that I have ridden on all season. I almost dumped it... Twice , then walked it across. It was so slick, it was hard to walk across.

Acchh! Sorry Lisa. I hope it's just bruises.

Thanks Jenn and Kevin.  Yes, it was hard to even walk it the rest of the way across.  If anyone is not there yet, take it over to the sidewalk to walk across.

Managed to get back on the bike for the last two blocks. It was actually easier to ride than to walk. ;-)  I guess we will see how I feel at the end of the day.

Ah, guess I'm not the only one who took a tumble on the bridge. I was riding very slowly but felt the bike start to tip over under me, so I jumped off just as the bike fell out from underneath. Luckily I landed on my feet, so nothing was hurt. It was tough to even walk across in my snow boots!

Happy you are ok. I'm downtown today if you need me to bring you some hot chocolate.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Bridge is ICE!  I went down hard on my knees.  Thank heaven for rain pants and jeans.  I think I will just have some nice bruises.

FYI -

This is the exact type of info we'd like to feature and highlight real time on the newly improved site.  

Would be great to have relevant info so we all can avoid more falls like this (sounds like Jenn almost went down and I'm sure a lot more almost did or did too).    

My dad fell bad on the green bay trail last month from ice - another user had just warned of ice on the trails up north the day before.  That could have potentially been avoided.

Jenn_5.5 mi said:

Hope you are ok, Lisa!!

The bridge is the worst that I have ridden on all season. I almost dumped it... Twice , then walked it across. It was so slick, it was hard to walk across.

sorry about your fall lisa. glad it wasn't worse. (and Adam too) did you ice it when you got inside (and warm and dry). maybe take some vitamin "I" too (ibuprofin). be careful everyone....I took all side streets today and  went slow. I am picturing my bike going home today on the front of a CTA bus.

DB

It is supposed to be 36°F this afternoon, so hopefully a lot of the ice will melt.

dan brown 4.4 miles said:

I am picturing my bike going home today on the front of a CTA bus.

DB

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service