The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rode it also just after the press conference.  One smallish question - if going north, what's the proper procedure for turning right off of Dearborn onto any the east-bound streets.

To turn right from northbound to eastbound: proceed to the turn box on a green bicycle and orient yourself east. Wait for the eastbound light to turn green and proceed. 

Here's the video I made, riding northbound from Madison to Kinzie.

globalguy said:

Rode it also just after the press conference.  One smallish question - if going north, what's the proper procedure for turning right off of Dearborn onto any the east-bound streets.

Great video. I loved riding the lane Friday night. Oddly enjoyable amd almost relaxing for the Loop. That's been on my mind globalguy. Could someone post a quick video of a right turn off Dearborn? I can't visualize it.

I just got back this weekend and rode down this morning to take a look.  Gripes are the narrow width, the drain covers that 25 and smaller tires can fall into and general poor drainage that plagues a lot of Chicago streets that put the south lane under a few inches of water in some places.

Pluses are the signals, bollards to keep parked cars from straying into the bike lanes and a genuine attempt to create a real bike lane in town that's on par with major cities.  I hope it's the first of many routes.  I'll give it a try tomorrow morning rather than go down State, even if it is a block out of the way.

I just spent the last week in Montreal where it's as dry as Chicago and a lot of people are still biking and Quebec, where there's plenty of snow and still a lot of people biking.  If Dearborn is a sample of what Chicago wants to do I hope they take a look at how Montreal is set up.  I've got a few pictures I need to post up.

I've never had a problem with this type of drain cover on my 25mm tires. The holes are very short and radial so it's rare that your tire will hit the exact spot, and if it does it won't get caught. 

Tricolor said:

I just got back this weekend and rode down this morning to take a look.  Gripes are the narrow width, the drain covers that 25 and smaller tires can fall into and general poor drainage that plagues a lot of Chicago streets that put the south lane under a few inches of water in some places.

I tried it on the way to work today (from Kinzie to Adams) during early morning rush hour, passing through between 7:15 and 7:30 I think.  I currently take Clark into the Loop, and will continue to do so for the following reasons:

• It's going to take awhile for pedestrians to get used to looking left and right before jaywalking.  I predict a fair number of people will be hit by bikes over the next several months.
  • There are no plates on the bridge over the river.  You ride right on the steel grates.  This alone is a deal breaker for me.
  • The rain over the weekend left lots of standing water which often entirely covered the southbound bike lane.  Some rework of drains and judicious patching of the asphalt will be necessary to address this properly.
  • I had to go around a delivery van sticking out of an alley in which the driver blocked both the sidewalk and both bike lanes, then just walked away!  I nosed out carefully into Dearborn to get around (could have dismounted and walked around the other way as well).  I suspect that a few tickets will need to be issued to address this behavior.

Skip

If the eastbound light is already green though, it seems like one could skip the whole box thing and just go with the peds or motor vehicle traffic, regardless of the color of the bike signal - while respecting the right of way and safety of the pedestrians of course.

I rode it today from Polk to Monroe. Drivers were all good about waiting for their turn arrows. Peds were mostly good about not standing around in the lanes and there no double parkers or any other parking/unloading cars or trucks. Somehow waiting for the bike signal to turn green was much easier than waiting for a regular traffic signal. 

Steven Vance said:

To turn right from northbound to eastbound: proceed to the turn box on a green bicycle and orient yourself east. Wait for the eastbound light to turn green and proceed. 

Here's the video I made, riding northbound from Madison to Kinzie.

globalguy said:

I agree w/ most of those issues Skip mentioned, especially the puddles in the SB lanes. The main reason I'll stick to Des Plaines is the low speed of the Dearborn bike lane.  It did feel good to have an almost relaxing loop cycling experience, but catching every light for 6 blocks is a bummer.  I guess I could've hit 2 yellows but I would of had to been flying, at probably >16mph, and with pedestrians still stepping off the curb there will be a few ugly collisions.  I will take it when I'm heading North out of the city, but I won't go 3 blocks out of my normal NW/SE commute to ride it.  Well maybe when I'm taking it easy (hungover ;).   My mind has changed about the width, I think it's perfectly fine. 

We've been told that plates *will* be installed on the Dearborn bridge, but they weren't available in time for Friday's official opening.  Hopefully we'll see them soon.

Skip Montanaro said:

There are no plates on the bridge over the river.  You ride right on the steel grates.  This alone is a deal breaker for me.

Following up on Cameron's comment: "Despite all that I'm still going to give the project an overall positive."

I should have added in my note that I too give it an overall thumbs up.  I think it's a good thing.  It's not quite complete yet. Any idea if any CDOT folks watch The Chainlink?  If not, is there a good place to provide feedback?

Skip

We watch it. Thanks for the feedback ya'll.

I'll ride it on my commute home today :)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service