The Chainlink

don't leave behind your good front wheel and lock. SE corner of Lake and Wacker.

Views: 693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i often see bikes with quick release that are locked to something via only the front wheel.  And whenever it happens, its always a fail.  the lock in a pic seems big enough to lock both the front wheel and the frame to the rack.  maybe a tourist?
I believe I have that exact same lock, and it fits on all types of frame/tire post combinations.  I used it for a weird hybrid that seemed impossible to lock tire/frame/post, but that one is wide and long enough for it. Maybe it was a tourist or just lazy locking. I feel bad for whoever it was-but I would have at least taken my wheel back with me.  

Carly said:
i often see bikes with quick release that are locked to something via only the front wheel.  And whenever it happens, its always a fail.  the lock in a pic seems big enough to lock both the front wheel and the frame to the rack.  maybe a tourist?
That is not misfortune, that is negligence; there is an important difference.

H3N3 said:

I feel badly for the owner and hope it wasn't their first and last bicycle  commuting experience.

Julie seemed to be juggling several things when this thread went up and I don't think she really meant to express mirth over this person's misfortune either (?)

Maybe the person was simply doesn't have good mechanical/spatial skills and had not had access to the necessary education?

Do you guys think losing the bike was adequate punishment, or should there be public flogging as well?

I saw this bike "locked" up yesterday in front of PetSmart on Elston & Logan Blvd. 

Seriously?  A DOLLAR STORE lock?  I could probably chew through that lock with my teeth.  I've got a more serious lock on my luggage and those are even "TSA-Compliant" so that any 75 IQ TSA Employee can pick it. 

Whatever.  

It's sad that people are willing to pay good money for their bike, but then skimp on the lock. I think I paid more for the locks I have than I paid for my bike.  I wonder how long it will be before this bike is listed on the stolenbike.org site.

Could this already be a stolen bike locked up with a cheap look by the thief?
James Baum said:

I saw this bike "locked" up yesterday in front of PetSmart on Elston & Logan Blvd. 

Seriously?  A DOLLAR STORE lock?  I could probably chew through that lock with my teeth.  I've got a more serious lock on my luggage and those are even "TSA-Compliant" so that any 75 IQ TSA Employee can pick it. 

Whatever.  

One of many:

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/183739

Feel free to use available resources and facilitate an owner/bike reuinion.

Chris Hainey said:

Could this already be a stolen bike locked up with a cheap look by the thief?
James Baum said:

Whatever.  

I think that was a Kozy sticker on the seat tube now that I think about it.  This could be the same bike!  But the police report is from April 2009.  

Without the serial number it's going to be hard to prove even if it is.  Lots of Specialized bikes out there in this color.  Don't they sell them at WalMart now?  

I think that you can only make so many excuses for people.  You cannot do something that dumb and expect sympathy.

H3N3 said:

Maybe the person was simply doesn't have good mechanical/spatial skills and had not had access to the necessary education?

Do you guys think losing the bike was adequate punishment, or should there be public flogging as well?

I'm with Doug on this. People who stare off wistfully into middle space imagining a simpler time when we could all leave our doors unlocked and we all knew our neighbors by name...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

There're people out there trying to steal your shit. Act accordingly. 

notoriousDUG said:

I think that you can only make so many excuses for people.  You cannot do something that dumb and expect sympathy.

H3N3 said:

I wasn't suggesting that this is the bike, only pointing out that there are resources available to check  and find the owner if you're interested in helping. It's not the only report of a black Sirrus.

James Baum said:

I think that was a Kozy sticker on the seat tube now that I think about it.  This could be the same bike!  But the police report is from April 2009.  

Without the serial number it's going to be hard to prove even if it is.  Lots of Specialized bikes out there in this color.  Don't they sell them at WalMart now?  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service