The Chainlink

Lets pool all of our knowledge together for one singular goal...WORLD DOMINATION! Oops! Wrong thread. Please post all of you tips and tricks/do and don'ts of locking your bike and theft prevention. Please be as specific as possible. Around the middle of January I will compile all of the information, research said information (to the best of my ability), and create an official how to for all cyclist. If for some reason you have volumes of information you can email me at 2poler@gmail.com, if you feel the urge to help with this task also feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Joe

Views: 10044

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Too bad that all people don't recognize you for the sage you are.  Based upon earlier advice you gave, I pair the beast with a U lock.  I'm now going to test leaving both locks at the rack, and lighten my load by about 10 pounds.

We'll see what happens to the locks.

Kevin C said:

I overthink these things so you don't have to. I do worry about moisture getting into lock mechanisms and causing them to seize or fail. Maybe twice per winter, I put a drop or two of chain oil in the keyhole of my locks and onto the tumbler mechanisms of the lock, work the key and bolts around for a bit and then wipe off the excess.

This is a terrific security system, and if you are comfortable carrying it and using it on a daily basis, I predict your bike will never be stolen. I'd recommend everyone do the same, but I'm having a hard enough time getting people to carry more than one U-lock. (It apparently spoils the line and drape of their skinny jeans.)

Joe Studer said:

I actually carry this beast on a daily basis, worried that leaving it locked to the rack where I work (a square tubed city rack directly adjacent to Wacker Drive) would expose it to dirt and grime that would ultimately affect the lock's operation.  Am I overthinking this? 

That beast is heavy.

Just a hypothetical: say I'm a bike thief and I spot your chain hanging from a bike rack at 2:00 AM.  I peel back the nylon cover and make two cuts with my angle grinder in a middle link, almost but not quite through.  A police officer stops to see what I'm doing and I explain I've lost the key and I'm removing the chain, as I'm an upstanding citizen and hate to litter.  There's no bike in sight, there's no bike being stolen, so the officer can't do a thing and drives off.  Tomorrow, you lock up your bike with the compromised chain.  Shortly after I see you leave, I walk up and pull apart the almost-broken link with my bare hands and ride away.  Are you sure you want to leave your locks sitting unattended?

Joe Studer said:

I'm now going to test leaving both locks at the rack, and lighten my load by about 10 pounds.

I think while possible, your hypothetical is not very probable. I'd be more concerned if we lived in a City where more people were aware and put some effort into locking their bikes. In Chicago, the problem is not legions of well-equipped, professional bike thieves trying to outsmart sophisticated locking methods. Here, the current state of bike security is that poorly locked bikes are plentiful. The level of effort you suggest is simply not warranted.

Thunder Snow said:

Just a hypothetical: say I'm a bike thief and I spot your chain hanging from a bike rack at 2:00 AM.  I peel back the nylon cover and make two cuts with my angle grinder in a middle link, almost but not quite through.  A police officer stops to see what I'm doing and I explain I've lost the key and I'm removing the chain, as I'm an upstanding citizen and hate to litter.  There's no bike in sight, there's no bike being stolen, so the officer can't do a thing and drives off.  Tomorrow, you lock up your bike with the compromised chain.  Shortly after I see you leave, I walk up and pull apart the almost-broken link with my bare hands and ride away.  Are you sure you want to leave your locks sitting unattended?

Joe Studer said:

I'm now going to test leaving both locks at the rack, and lighten my load by about 10 pounds.

Like Kevin said this is possible but highly improbable; that is a very high level of effort for theft.  People steal stuff because they are trying to make money in manner easier than earning it.

Kevin C said:

I think while possible, your hypothetical is not very probable. I'd be more concerned if we lived in a City where more people were aware and put some effort into locking their bikes. In Chicago, the problem is not legions of well-equipped, professional bike thieves trying to outsmart sophisticated locking methods. Here, the current state of bike security is that poorly locked bikes are plentiful. The level of effort you suggest is simply not warranted.

Thunder Snow said:

Joe Studer said:

More likely the thief will squirt some glue into the keyed part of the lock making the chain/lock set unusable and upon arriving at work you have a choice of riding back home, out to buy another lock, or making the bike "look" locked up while you run and get another lock or something before work.  

Maybe you have time to run to a bike shop before work and buy a new lock, maybe you risk it and wrap the bike with the lock & chain in a semi-convincing way hoping nobody notices it is not really locked up.

If you chose the latter the bike thief gets a free bike with only the slight amount of work of squirting glue into a few U-locks, and other locks left at the rack and coming back the next day around 8-10AM to see if he caught any suckers. 

Plus, look at how nicely the nylon cover is taped to the last chain link.  When locking my bike, I'd notice right away if the tape were screwed up and would investigate further.  So, the hypothetical thief would then have to re-tape the cover just so. 

I gotta imagine this is just too much hassle.  As Kevin and Dug point out, that bear is looking for slower prey.  But we'll see.  I'm looking forward to not lugging that stuff home tonight.

notoriousDUG said:

Like Kevin said this is possible but highly improbable; that is a very high level of effort for theft.  People steal stuff because they are trying to make money in manner easier than earning it.

Kevin C said:

Thunder Snow said:

Joe Studer said:

And on another positive note, you should greatly reduce your risk of developing a sub-inguinal hernia.

Joe Studer said:

[snip]  I'm looking forward to not lugging that stuff home tonight.

My bike already is easily pushing 40lbs+ even without adding in the locks.  What's a few more?

I learned the hard way that the city can steal remove your lock that is left on a bike rack. It occurred to a lock of mine about a year ago that I left on a rack at 10 N. Wacker only to find it gone - the entire bike rack - on a Monday morning due to road construction. No notes were left on the rack the week prior about the removal. I emailed the city, they suggested to not leave a lock on a rack overnight as it makes their jobs more difficult due to people complaining about old locks left on racks. Maybe it will show up when they re-install the racks, just maybe.

Fixed :-)

Kevin C said:

I think while possible, your hypothetical is not very probable.

Thunder Snow said:

A police officer stops to see what I'm doing 

Oh so true.

h' said:

Fixed :-)

Kevin C said:

I think while possible, your hypothetical is not very probable.

Thunder Snow said:

A police officer stops to see what I'm doing 

How much does that bad boy weigh?

With that i may actually think about locking the bike up somewhere aside from a secure bike rack or my house.

Kevin C said:

Bike Registry security chain and lock.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service