The Chainlink

I have a feeling some of us on here have more bikes than we wish to admit. I'm up to 3 so far. Bianchi Road, Giant Mountain, and Trek Hybrid (which is currently abroad).

UPDATE (as of 6/8/11) - I'm up to 6 now... 2 aren't ride-able at the moment though.

Views: 520

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's just a matter of how big your heart is.
yeah, i have 2 that are ride able and a couple of others that if i take the saddle off of one of the ride able ones they're ride able. have about 7 basket cases(some nicer than others), and one current builder that i hope to have running in the springtime.

i feel its a lot better than other things i could be doing.
ok here's the list:

in the shed out back and ridden frequently:
05 surly cross check single speed
80's schwinn sprint single speed flat bar
02 giant nrs air
00 gary fisher sugar 3 single speed
01 trek 4100 single speed dirt jumper

in the parents garage and rideable:
70's schwinn sportabout 10 speed
60's kia 20" cruiser
01 schwinn powermatic bmx
02 schwinn pro stock bmx
97 dyno vfr bmx
80's ross piranha bmx
86 huffy bmx

in the parents garage in pieces
99 haro group 1 bmx
98 mongoose pro bmx
80's gt pro stock bmx
86 schwinn predator bmx
80's mongoose freestyle bmx

that's 17 that I can remember off the top of my head, and I know there are more that I'm forgetting

and I still don't think I have enough!
In my current stable I have 18 rideable bikes that can all be riden, 8 frames for future builds (4 BMX, 4 mountain bike) when I have extra money/time. As long as you have plenty of basement/storage space one can never have too many rides. Better to have more bikes than it is to have cars! If you would have included the bikes that I have had stolen over the years than it is around 30 or so. When your passion in life is bikes, their can never be too many. Only thing is always hard trying to convince the wife or girlfriend that you need another bike. That is why I am single. If you find a gal or guy that likes bikes as much as you do, its a match. Hard to convince someone that you need another set of wheels that cost $1400-2000 also. Same with more gear. After a while your basement could pass for a bike shop. Remember forumula for more bikes is n+1+$ n=bikes owned, 1=new bike, $=money that you are willing to burn! Right now is a good time to go bike shopping I think=) Thanks, Julie for reminding me.
That seems reasonable. I have 3 and they all get used: 1970s Univega road bike, late 90s Raleigh mountain bike (all-purpose sport-utility bike), and basic Dahon folding bike. Perhaps there's a recumbent in my future....

justJason said:
Right on. I definitely live by this tried-and-true algorithm. ;-)

That being said, OVERKILL might be when you have a stable of bikes and one or more just never get ridden.
How many bikes is overkill?

X + Y

Y= >6
i have 9 working bikes and about 20-25 that need work. i lost 2 of my bmx's in december but picked up a new lowrider last week/ ; )
BK said:
I think every bike you own should be maintained and rideable or in the actual process of being fixed-up. I think it is irresponsible to have a ton of bikes that you don't use or maintain. I own two and anything more than three or four sounds like overkill.

I don't have a wide-angle lens wide enough to cover the entire room.

Stu

Julie Hochstadter said:
show us a picture!

Stuart Joshua Holt said:
I should talk. I have seven (7) of 'em sittin' in my dining room.
Currently I have only one. Reading everyone's replies is making me feel better about looking for a second bike to buy!
Dottie- what kind of bike do you currently have?

Dottie said:
Currently I have only one. Reading everyone's replies is making me feel better about looking for a second bike to buy!
A few things to consider:

The amount of raw materials needed to create 1 mid-size car is enough to create about 100 bicycles. Plus bikes don't pollute except in the manufacturing process and are relatively cheap to maintain.

Bicycles are application specific. There is no do-all end-all bike. Some bikes can do a few different things, but if you engage in different types of riding, you will need different bikes for optimal results in different applications. E.G. you don't use a fixie for down-hill racing or a cargo bike for track racing.

If a bike is your primary form of transportation, it is good to have a second bike as a backup.

These things said - I currently have 4 bikes: A cargo bike, a mountain bike and 2 cruisers. I plan on getting 2 more bikes this year: A dedicated fat tire winter bike and a touring bike.

I'll probably be good for awhile after that...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service