The Chainlink

37.4, does that put me in the lead? :-)

Views: 4377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

5,300 - Almost exclusively commuting.   So far December has been good.  Looking forward to a more manageable winter. 

Bob

You and I rode to Three Floyds a year or two back. I was with you when that kid darted in front of you and took you (almost us) down. So, you know my riding skills.

What I have come to witness on Elston, Milwaukee, Des Plaines...is nothing short of criminally aggressive driving behavior. I sat at the corner of Milwaukee and Elston while a driver of a car attempted, yes attempted, to run down a guy in the bike lane. I rolled off my bike and immediately dialed 911. No cops after 20+ minutes of waiting and the driver looked like they wanted to come back for more (i.e. I needed to move away from the area soon.) I have seen near rundowns at Damen and Diversey (for the sake of just getting through a light). There is zero defense against a car right now. 

Zero progress on separated bike lanes on my bike route(s) ... save for the stretch between Ogden (?) and Halstead-ish. 

So, call me old call me conservative. But, I have no desire to get that treatment. Long post, but it is no longer worth it. My tradeoff was being in shape versus getting clipped. I chose being in shape for several years (and yes, I was once clipped by a car and taken down. Still, I rode on for several more years.)

I guess you can say that I will probably be exiting biking short of riding in group rides or a race here and there. 

Good luck to you all!


bob hsiung said:

i know there's risk. i was hit by a cab this year. did something happen to make you more conservative and concerned?

SixtyTwoPercent said:

Not anywhere near what I have historically done. This has been a year of transition...away from commuting unfortunately. Someone convince me to come back...I loved my year round commute. But traffic and lack of separation from the cars, too risky now. If I can't ride the majority of my commute on the LFP now, I will just pass. That is how conservative and concerned I have become.

Ssshh... Be careful what you say or you'll wake the weather demons.

SkokieSurly said:

So far December has been good.  Looking forward to a more manageable winter. 

After riding through the entirety of last winter, I say "bring it on."   How bad could it possibly get after that? ;-).


Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Ssshh... Be careful what you say or you'll wake the weather demons.

SkokieSurly said:

So far December has been good.  Looking forward to a more manageable winter. 

3513, but the year isn't over.

Pretty much nowhere. I hate being injured.

Looking to make 3800 for the year. 95% of it commuting miles. I'm really happy with my first year of commuting in Chicago. Look forward to many more.

Just over 4,040 miles as of this morning. Was 4,588 miles in 2013. Last winter and several weeks of travels this year did slow me down ;)

Okay, Bob. This thread has been gnawing at me.

I broke down and did 20+ today for my commute. 95% on LFP.

Work schedule is locked in for the rest of the year. I'll end up at 4,525 for the year, +/- a couple.

Estimated 2,400 miles starting April 7th after not being on a bike for 20yrs

-13 miles each way everyday I'm in the office and not in an airplane somewhere (about 50% time)

i remember that kid! no, there's no defense against cars (or even kids). were you hurt when you were taken down? i've decided that if you ride a lot in the city, it's not a matter of whether but when that's going to happen. being in shape means bouncing back quicker. i'm glad you're back in the saddle. the LFP is a nice compromise.

2241.6 for me after the Twelfth Step Finale. looking forward to 2015!

SixtyTwoPercent said:

You and I rode to Three Floyds a year or two back. I was with you when that kid darted in front of you and took you (almost us) down. So, you know my riding skills.

What I have come to witness on Elston, Milwaukee, Des Plaines...is nothing short of criminally aggressive driving behavior. I sat at the corner of Milwaukee and Elston while a driver of a car attempted, yes attempted, to run down a guy in the bike lane. I rolled off my bike and immediately dialed 911. No cops after 20+ minutes of waiting and the driver looked like they wanted to come back for more (i.e. I needed to move away from the area soon.) I have seen near rundowns at Damen and Diversey (for the sake of just getting through a light). There is zero defense against a car right now.

So, call me old call me conservative. But, I have no desire to get that treatment. Long post, but it is no longer worth it. My tradeoff was being in shape versus getting clipped. I chose being in shape for several years (and yes, I was once clipped by a car and taken down. Still, I rode on for several more years.)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service