The Chainlink

Holy Fracking Cow-- Chicago's top bike thieves arrested

http://wilmette.patch.com/articles/wilmette-and-winnetka-police-nab...

Actually not so exciting that they were arrested again, but that there's solid detective work, evidence, and publicity this time.

I can't say too much about these guys publicly, but this is significant. Too bad it took suburban police to reign them in, however temporarily.

Julie, I think it somewhat likely your coworker's bike is among those seized.  I know Chicago and UIC police are in the habit of checking CSBR as a matter of routine, but I don't know about the suburban police.

Views: 685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Then struggle to keep a good thought.

James Baum said:

I don't bet because I hope I'm wrong.

Kevin Conway said:

Bet.

James Baum said:
He'll be back to work in a couple of days at the most.

As I tried to lay out in the initial post-- the significance is not so much that there's been an arrest, but that names and faces have been put out there publicly by "the authorities", thus offloading liability from anyone who's been wanting to promote Kenny-hunting as a favored pursuit of the Chicago bicycle community, but didn't previously have the goods to back up any claims.

I may take another stab at the above paragraph when I've had a good night's sleep . . .

James Baum said:

I don't bet because I hope I'm wrong.

Kevin Conway said:

Bet.

James Baum said:
He'll be back to work in a couple of days at the most.
Kevin Conway said:

Here's a shot of Kenny waxing poetic in March of this year.

Where was this?  What's the context?  Any other links to info on this guy?
Dan,

Individuals who have had dealings with these folks will need to decide for themselves what they're willing to reveal publicly, and be sure to respect the wishes of those who don't want to be publicly identified/connected.

What I can offer is a few registry listings known to be Kenny operations:

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/184649

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/190291

At the very least his activities can be monitored by people such as the task force.  If/when he gets out someone should be keeping an eye out for him if the cops are too interested in the donut shop to do anything about him going back to work.

Where: Swap O'Rama 3/12/11. 42nd & Ashland;

Context: Talking shit with Gabe and/or Dr. Doom re: moral relativism;

Other links: I've got a lot. What are you looking for?

I am happy that I have never had any business dealings with these two gentlemen.   I try and run an ethical hobby business with regards to bike restorations and some light custom work.  I don't suppose these guys deal in too many basket-case English 3-speeds, so it wasn't much of a risk in the first place.

James,

The whole community, yourself included, would best be called upon to monitor him.

There's nothing a group of 20-30 individuals with limited free time and none of the resources available to law enforcement can do to stop the Kennys of the world.

James Baum said:

At the very least his activities can be monitored by people such as the task force.  If/when he gets out someone should be keeping an eye out for him if the cops are too interested in the donut shop to do anything about him going back to work.
Good chance they'll jump bail and not appear on July 12. My bike thief has jumped bail twice now. Wonder how high the bail is.
Michele, can you refresh my (our) memory on what your bike thief situation was?
I'll try and keep my eye out for him myself and spread his picture around.  It's too bad that I suffer from mild/moderate prosopagnosia  All you humans look pretty much the same to me.  I'm not much help here in spotting people.
I see nothing in this article that confirms to me that they bonded out. Do you know that they did? I'm guessing the MSRP dollar value on these Wilmette beauties approached $60K. Bond wasn't cheap.

Michele said:
Good chance they'll jump bail and not appear on July 12. My bike thief has jumped bail twice now. Wonder how high the bail is.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service