The Chainlink

Just ran across an article on this product: http://www.hammerhead.io/

It's a T-shaped handlebar-mounted lightbar that shows you where to turn on a ride powered by a routing app on your smartphone.

Looks like a good advantage over having to check your phone for directions every now and then when in unfamiliar territory.

Views: 710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does this allow you to download maps that i created on a pc and get turn by turn navigation for that?
I see them online for $250.

Michael A said:

Due to injury I have not done a double this year, but the last one I did last july was 12 hrs riding time and 14 hrs total. You can use a USB external battery to charge and run the garmin for longer or multi day rides.

Garmin has now released a new model geared more towards touring for a lot less money but $300 is still a serious investment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsiKI0Hr1xY#t=21

Duppie, yes, but they have to be in a certain format, I think .fit works best. Garmin has a suite of free software that you can use to create a route. Garmin base camp  

I use Google Navigator on my phone. The key is to keep the screen off and the battery is not effected that much. GPS receivers in today's smartphones are very efficient. It's the screen that kills the battery.

A perfect combination would be something like the Pebble Watch with an e-paper screen to display the turns, while still listening to the directions from the phone. But, for now I just listen to the phones navigation directions, and this has worked very well for me. 

how do you turn off the screen and keep the app running? haven't figured that out.

Tom Z said:

I use Google Navigator on my phone. The key is to keep the screen off and the battery is not effected that much. GPS receivers in today's smartphones are very efficient. It's the screen that kills the battery.

A perfect combination would be something like the Pebble Watch with an e-paper screen to display the turns, while still listening to the directions from the phone. But, for now I just listen to the phones navigation directions, and this has worked very well for me. 

I start Google Navigation and navigate to my destination.

All you do is press the power button, and your phone's screen will go off. As long as Google Navigation is running in the foreground, you don't need to enter your PIN, the power button is used to just turn the screen off / on.

Even with the screen off it will still announce the next turns like normal and keep the screen off.

I do have my phone on the stem so it is very easy to hear the navigation and access the screen if needed.

Duppie said:

how do you turn off the screen and keep the app running? haven't figured that out.

Tom Z said:

I just figured that out. Have to try that on my next long ride. Thanks.

Tom Z said:

I start Google Navigation and navigate to my destination.

All you do is press the power button, and your phone's screen will go off. As long as Google Navigation is running in the foreground, you don't need to enter your PIN, the power button is used to just turn the screen off / on.

Even with the screen off it will still announce the next turns like normal and keep the screen off.

I do have my phone on the stem so it is very easy to hear the navigation and access the screen if needed.

Duppie said:

Tom Z said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service