The Chainlink

Just ran across an article on this product: http://www.hammerhead.io/

It's a T-shaped handlebar-mounted lightbar that shows you where to turn on a ride powered by a routing app on your smartphone.

Looks like a good advantage over having to check your phone for directions every now and then when in unfamiliar territory.

Views: 710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yow! That looks great!

Serge, I think this is the thing I was telling you about on one of our rides.  

Just like MassUp's done for years, for free (wish I didn't have to say that so often)

John Durham said:

This is the feature that intrigues me.

Catch friends 

Hammerhead guides you to meet up with riding buddies that are out on the roads. Join group rides without having to coordinate meeting times and locations.

The difference is that this is actually well designed...

Andrew Bedno said:

Just like MassUp's done for years, for free (wish I didn't have to say that so often)

John Durham said:

Catch friends 

Hammerhead guides you to meet up with riding buddies that are out on the roads. Join group rides without having to coordinate meeting times and locations.

I need to familiarize myself again with what you've done. I know you've built tons of useful features for cyclists there.  

Andrew Bedno said:

John Durham said:

Catch friends 

If you have ever used a GPS guided device for the car or bike you would see why this is not such a great idea. When your GPS tells you to turn it will also say WHERE, like "turn left at Foster ave" at which point you start looking at street signs to confirm you are in fact at foster ave, once you confirm this you make the turn. Blindly following a blinking light on your handlebars will almost certainly cause you to make the wrong turn. Hopefully it will not be when it blinks to make a left turn while heading south on the lake front path.

What are your favorite GPS guided devices? Will also *try* search feature here too.

Michael A said:

If you have ever used a GPS guided device for the car or bike you would see why this is not such a great idea. When your GPS tells you to turn it will also say WHERE, like "turn left at Foster ave" at which point you start looking at street signs to confirm you are in fact at foster ave, once you confirm this you make the turn. Blindly following a blinking light on your handlebars will almost certainly cause you to make the wrong turn. Hopefully it will not be when it blinks to make a left turn while heading south on the lake front path.

Thanx Julie.  I realize it's over most heads.  Practical positive productive feedback welcome.

About this, I recently said elsewhere:
I've seen this thing in press a few times, and keep wondering why it's better than the cheap and simple handlebar phone mount I already use. I can already glance at my phone every now and then to confirm my heading and route, which any good map app shows nice and big. Whereas this requires itself and my phone and a special app and bluetoothing to show a fraction of the info. So frankly I've gotta see it as a novelty, or for the near blind, or those with excess money, or gadget fiends, rather than a new must-have utility.  Also, I'm often surprised at rarely seeing anyone else (outside of the Lycra set) even with a handlebar smartphone or GPS mount, despite being cheap and easy and available at Target. So I've got to suspect this thing's adoption rate will be even lower, though I'm usually wrong about such things.  There's certainly something to be said for the big blinking turn signal as way less brain intensive than glancing at a tiny screen. Maybe great for novices.

I hate having to whip out my phone, esp when it's cold or rainy, to check directions.  Having something on my handlebars, and/or talking to me when I need it would be great.

Simple solution: wear headphones and listen to turn by turn directions on your phone. 

Or else you will end up in Zagreb:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/9798779/GP...

Michael A said:

Telling you the site is ugly is practical and productive but I am at a loss for how to make it positive.

It seared my retinas quite well?

I found the angular design delightfully blocky?

Andrew Bedno said:

Thanx Julie.  I realize it's over most heads.  Practical positive productive feedback welcome.

About this, I recently said elsewhere:
I've seen this thing in press a few times, and keep wondering why it's better than the cheap and simple handlebar phone mount I already use. I can already glance at my phone every now and then to confirm my heading and route, which any good map app shows nice and big. Whereas this requires itself and my phone and a special app and bluetoothing to show a fraction of the info. So frankly I've gotta see it as a novelty, or for the near blind, or those with excess money, or gadget fiends, rather than a new must-have utility.  Also, I'm often surprised at rarely seeing anyone else (outside of the Lycra set) even with a handlebar smartphone or GPS mount, despite being cheap and easy and available at Target. So I've got to suspect this thing's adoption rate will be even lower, though I'm usually wrong about such things.  There's certainly something to be said for the big blinking turn signal as way less brain intensive than glancing at a tiny screen. Maybe great for novices.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service