The Chainlink

I have been pondering recently creating a grassroots courteous cyclist campaign (or "Don't be a douche").

Being a completely private campaign would give me (or us) the latitude to use a catchphrase like "Don't be a douche."

Perhaps this campaign would be mainly a sticker campaign and word of mouth (calling people out when they're "douches."

The problems I constantly see that make people lose respect for all cyclists.

-Blowing through stop signs and red lights with no intention of stopping for any reason (even when it's not your turn (right of way))

-sitting in the crosswalk when stopped at an intersection (hey, that's a pedestrian's space, not a cyclists; plus there is almost always space between the crosswalk and the car "stopline")

-riding on the sidewalk (hey, that's a pedestrian's space, they could be a great ally in bicycle advocacy if we respected them more)

-salmoning

-riding with no lights at night

-riding in a crosswalk to cheat your way through a 6-point intersection (and other tomfoolery to cheat your way through; look, are you a pedestrian or a cyclist, you're in the pedestrians space right now) - this will be debateable for some, but I often see that this practice doesn't gain much time for the cyclist (I always have the line in my head "you lose a lot more goodwill than you gain in time"); I'm sure drivers don't appreciate a cyclist going out of turn across the crosswalk when there are no pedestrians present, impeding their legal turn

Any other insights, thoughts, complaints...?

Is there a need for a campaign like this to spruce up our image (that is constantly tarnished by the "douches" - and hopefully correct their behavior)?

I know the Bicycle Ambassadors do some of this work, however, I believe they are funded by the city; hence they require that you follow the law to a T; this campaign would be more real-world applicable (you don't have to stop at that stop sign if no one is around...)

"Don't be a douche" or Courteous Cyclist as the campaign name (or something else)?

Also, there is a share the road sign I saw on some blog at some point from somewhere in Europe I believe that has the cyclist tipping his hat to the driver.  That could be a cool graphic for this; does anyone know where that is?

Scott

[edited]

Views: 1098

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Positive reinforcement is great.  I try to use it in my life and relationships whenever possible, whether it's with people or dogs.  But is giving a wave, a tip of the cap, a cheery-o, going to get more butts in saddles?  I doubt it.  People just like driving too much.  I try to just go about my ride the best I see fit, and let everything else be what it is.  This includes things people should be doing anyway, however thoughtful it may seem at the time.  If a driver does something to put my life in danger, I'll let them know about it.  Obviously, drivers are more than willing to extend the same courtesy.  

Mark said:

My own personal creed has become positive reinforcement to all other road users (peds, cars, bikes) who I felt went beyond what I would expect of an average user.  I give a wave of thanks to cars that let me in or wait for me to go through an intersection.  Conversely, if I see another user do something dangerous or ignorant, I will also point it out - being sure not to curse as it negates any message you are trying to get across.  I ride assertively and predictably, usually rolling cautiously through stop signs - but I always make sure I am not infringing on another user's right-of-way.  I've never had a problem with aggressive drivers, and have received back many more "sorrys" than "@#%^&'s"

Motorists hate cyclists because they are all perceived as scofflaws (even though we know the motorists are the bigger scofflaws) -> scofflaw perception is lessened -> hostility towards cyclists lessens (to what degree, who knows; also need much enforcement of traffic laws - thats a whole other discussion) -> streets perceived safer for cyclists -> more people take to the streets (including my wife :))

Here's the problem: if the hate is based on a faulty perception, changing reality isn't going to change the perception because it isn't based in reality. Antipathy toward cyclists is often blamed on scofflaw behavior on the basis of a single incident or less, sometimes just based on the habitual assumption that that's what cyclists are like. It's a little bit like saying feminism is disparaged because of the perception of feminists as joyless man-haters, so if feminists could be less like that the perception would decrease. If the perception isn't being informed by reality, you can't change it by changing reality.

In my experience this scofflaw complaint is a post-hoc rationalization which sounds more acceptable than just being pissed off that the cyclist is there at all. Just to throw more anecdotes on the pyre, the most success I've ever had with changing someone's perception about bicycle scofflaws is pointing out that every courier they've seen and grumbled about has plenty of taxi equivalents, and which is actually putting more people in danger?

The other thought that comes to mind is that usually people I see "salmoning" or on a sidewalk or whatever are people biking largely because that's the transportation they can afford, in lower-income neighborhoods and so forth. It'd be kind of a dick move to give them shit about how they're getting around in my opinion.

I don't believe the hate is based on a faulty perception.  It is reality that some cyclists actually ride as scofflaws.  It seems to be more of an unfair stereotype.  So there is a reality that can be changed, not just a perception.

I agree on your other points.

Peenworm Grubologist said:

Motorists hate cyclists because they are all perceived as scofflaws (even though we know the motorists are the bigger scofflaws) -> scofflaw perception is lessened -> hostility towards cyclists lessens (to what degree, who knows; also need much enforcement of traffic laws - thats a whole other discussion) -> streets perceived safer for cyclists -> more people take to the streets (including my wife :))

Here's the problem: if the hate is based on a faulty perception, changing reality isn't going to change the perception because it isn't based in reality. Antipathy toward cyclists is often blamed on scofflaw behavior on the basis of a single incident or less, sometimes just based on the habitual assumption that that's what cyclists are like. It's a little bit like saying feminism is disparaged because of the perception of feminists as joyless man-haters, so if feminists could be less like that the perception would decrease. If the perception isn't being informed by reality, you can't change it by changing reality.

In my experience this scofflaw complaint is a post-hoc rationalization which sounds more acceptable than just being pissed off that the cyclist is there at all. Just to throw more anecdotes on the pyre, the most success I've ever had with changing someone's perception about bicycle scofflaws is pointing out that every courier they've seen and grumbled about has plenty of taxi equivalents, and which is actually putting more people in danger?

The other thought that comes to mind is that usually people I see "salmoning" or on a sidewalk or whatever are people biking largely because that's the transportation they can afford, in lower-income neighborhoods and so forth. It'd be kind of a dick move to give them shit about how they're getting around in my opinion.

Brendan, maybe you should explore a safer route it you can't commit any modicum of mind-power to think about road-courteousness (or other musings) during your ride.  It might be more enjoyable.

Glad to know you're not a douchebag.

And I wouldn't consider this to be a grievance that just "popped" into my head, it's about general road behavior (ultimately of all users, but this focusing on the cyclists component), not about a specific pot hole I would like fixed (or something trivial like that).

It's all about respect.

Brendan said:

I would never want to discourage someone from being courteous, but when I'm on my bike and literally going up against 2 ton (and greater) hunks of metal, being polite is pretty much the furthest thing from my mind.  Staying alive, unhurt, and trying to enjoy my ride as much as possible are things that immediately concern me.  I wouldn't call myself a reckless cyclist by any means, nor would I take pride in being labeled such.  However, I have done and do certain things on your douchebag list, and really, I'm not a douchebag.  I've never hit anyone, and no one has ever hit me due to my riding habits.  Have I pissed people off?  Sure.  Have people pissed me off?  Yes.  Do we have to make a club and a sticker for every grievance that pops into our heads?  No.  

You're twisting my words just a little bit.  I know I'm at the mercy of the drivers on the road pretty much, but aside from having to huff their noxious fumes, I blame nobody but myself for the route I ride on.  

More often than not I take the most direct route, and it is a route with a bike lane pretty much the entire way.  Sometimes, though, people don't have the luxury of taking a scenic route.  Still, regardless of where I'm biking, whether its on a busy main road or on side streets, driver behavior doesn't seem to change a whole lot, save for there being less cars on the latter.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'd much rather yell at a driver than a cyclist, though I (maybe not so) obviously would rather not yell at all.  I don't want to discourage cycling in any way, and I definitely don't want to be part of a club whose sole purpose is to ride around calling cyclists douche bags or discourteous, and what, handing out violations?  Wouldn't that be an exhausting task?  This even seems to go against the very philosophy you just called me out on.  

Scott H said:

I don't believe the hate is based on a faulty perception.  It is reality that some cyclists actually ride as scofflaws.  It seems to be more of an unfair stereotype.  So there is a reality that can be changed, not just a perception.

If the stereotype is unfair, it is based on a faulty perception. Otherwise, it would be a fair assessment. Basically you can't reason people out of a position they didn't reason themselves into, and you can't alter a faulty stereotype by avoiding fitting that stereotype.

It's a good idea and worth writing.  I've occasionally written letters to the editor on aspects of what you're proposing, and I've seen good letters written by others.  It's a message we need to keep putting out there, then backing it up with action.

Scott H said:

Maybe a good Op-Ed to the major dailies urging tolerance/courteousness to for all road users could be useful.

-Cyclists should yield the right of way (not necessarily stop, an official organization-Ambassadors- would need to advocate complete adherence to laws)

-Cyclists should yield to pedestrians always

-Cyclists should not ride on the sidewalk

-Pedestrians should not jump in front of a moving car with little room to stop simply because they indeed have the right of way

-Pedestrians should not walk in the bike lane

-Motorists should be aware (not talk on cell phone, etc.)

-Motorists should only pass cyclists safely (I've got a daughter I want to get home to)

-Motorists should check before swinging open their door

There are probably more even-keeled people on all sides of this quandary than I realize.

discuss...

I agree with you about positive reinforcement.  Whenever possible I thank drivers with a thank you and/or a smile and wave when they do something to help me in traffic or hold their doors and wait until I pass before opening them. 

I'm also with you on the "Idaho stop" concept.  I appreciate what Active Trans is trying to do in promoting law-abiding riding.  However, coming to a full stop at every stop sign creates a disadvantage for transportation cyclists who are trying to travel more than a short distance, especially if they have knee problems or other medical issues that may cause such frequent full stops to put serious limitations on how far we can go.  If we really want to promote transportation cycling and significantly increase mode share, we don't just need improved infrastructure.  We also need laws that help to level the playing field, such as Idaho stop.

I think that simple courtesy and good communication (using hand signals for turns - and stops when possible - and using lights at night) helps us a lot.

I know I'm not perfect in the courtesy dept., but I aim for courtesy as much as possible.  I wish I could say that I've never had a problem with aggressive drivers.  When it happens, drivers are usually getting nasty at moments when all I'm doing is riding legally down the street in the middle of a block.  It happened today when I was westbound on Randolph crossing the bridge.  I was going straight in the middle of the lane.  Traffic was relatively light.  A BMW SUV zoomed up on me from behind (same lane).  As he got close, he starting honking and swerved left at the last minute, passing about 1 foot from my elbow.  A similar jerk was right behind him and just as close to my elbow.  Before they passed me, the road to my left was almost completely empty of traffic.  There was no one in the lane to my left until they moved over.  As the first jerk passed, I noticed a Fraternal Order of Police sticker and Law Enforcement Memorial license plate.  Charming bit of hypocrisy to have someone who is paid to enforce the law breaking it and endangering me in the process.  I wish I could have gotten that plate #.

That jerk is proof that we can't always reach drivers with courtesy.  Fortunately, most people don't drive like him.

Mark said:

My own personal creed has become positive reinforcement to all other road users (peds, cars, bikes) who I felt went beyond what I would expect of an average user.  I give a wave of thanks to cars that let me in or wait for me to go through an intersection.  Conversely, if I see another user do something dangerous or ignorant, I will also point it out - being sure not to curse as it negates any message you are trying to get across.  I ride assertively and predictably, usually rolling cautiously through stop signs - but I always make sure I am not infringing on another user's right-of-way.  I've never had a problem with aggressive drivers, and have received back many more "sorrys" than "@#%^&'s"

Quite off topic:

That could have been a situation where a helmet camera (definitely not a given) and this LA Ordinance could help you if you were so inclined.  Basically, the police won't do anything, but the law clears the way for you to pursue harassers civilly (not worthwhile in all cases, but most people don't change behavior unless it hurts their pocket book).

I'd love to have something like this on the books in IL or Chicago as I am close to getting a helmet camera.

LA Law

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/21/local/la-me-bicycle-law-201...

A bit of discussion

http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topic/show?id=2211490%3ATopic%3A4...

Anne Alt said:

...It happened today when I was westbound on Randolph crossing the bridge.  I was going straight in the middle of the lane.  Traffic was relatively light.  A BMW SUV zoomed up on me from behind (same lane).  As he got close, he starting honking and swerved left at the last minute, passing about 1 foot from my elbow.  A similar jerk was right behind him and just as close to my elbow.  Before they passed me, the road to my left was almost completely empty of traffic.  There was no one in the lane to my left until they moved over.  As the first jerk passed, I noticed a Fraternal Order of Police sticker and Law Enforcement Memorial license plate.  Charming bit of hypocrisy to have someone who is paid to enforce the law breaking it and endangering me in the process.  I wish I could have gotten that plate #.

That jerk is proof that we can't always reach drivers with courtesy.  Fortunately, most people don't drive like him.

So from all of this discussion;

-some don't even think it's worth the effort to try to get others to behave with more courteousness on the road (reckless cyclist behavior not a problem? driver behavior the sole problem? (it's certainly the more dangerous))

-would stickers/signage encouraging courteousness for all road users be detrimental? (making a "club" for this "grievance that popped into my head")

I appreciate the discussion.

Yes, a helmet cam would have been useful today.

Scott H said:

Quite off topic:

That could have been a situation where a helmet camera (definitely not a given) and this LA Ordinance could help you if you were so inclined.  Basically, the police won't do anything, but the law clears the way for you to pursue harassers civilly (not worthwhile in all cases, but most people don't change behavior unless it hurts their pocket book).

I'd love to have something like this on the books in IL or Chicago as I am close to getting a helmet camera.

LA Law

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/21/local/la-me-bicycle-law-201...

A bit of discussion

http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topic/show?id=2211490%3ATopic%3A4...

Anne Alt said:

...It happened today when I was westbound on Randolph crossing the bridge.  I was going straight in the middle of the lane.  Traffic was relatively light.  A BMW SUV zoomed up on me from behind (same lane).  As he got close, he starting honking and swerved left at the last minute, passing about 1 foot from my elbow.  A similar jerk was right behind him and just as close to my elbow.  Before they passed me, the road to my left was almost completely empty of traffic.  There was no one in the lane to my left until they moved over.  As the first jerk passed, I noticed a Fraternal Order of Police sticker and Law Enforcement Memorial license plate.  Charming bit of hypocrisy to have someone who is paid to enforce the law breaking it and endangering me in the process.  I wish I could have gotten that plate #.

+1  Are you ever singing my song!!!

kiltedcelt said:

My two wheels worth - I think a bigger issue is not necessarily campaigning to get bikers to obey all the rules of the road but instead to see about modifying the rules of the road to accommodate cyclists. The Idaho stop that was mentioned somewhere in this thread is one thing we could do. If we could get the legislature to change the rules for cyclists to allow us to treat stop signs like yield signs and traffic lights like stop signs that would go a long ways towards ending what is currently scofflaw behavior among cyclists. I'm fortunate in that most of my commute is on the LFP so I don't deal with a lot of stop and start traffic b.s. However, when I do ride on regular streets I do adhere to rules of the road for the most part. I stop at all the lights with the cars and wait, although I admit to only pausing at stop signs. I don't blow through them like most cyclists I see, but I do slow down enough to accurately assess ALL traffic coming from all directions before I go. My thoughts are that as long was we have to go with "same rules, same rights", we should all be adhering to that. However, it's obvious that we need a revolution here in this country at all levels regarding infrastructure that accommodates cyclists as well as a change in the rules that realizes that bicycles are NOT the same thing as cars and thus should be allowed to operate on a slightly different set of rules.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service