The Chainlink

Attention cyclists! The weekend is upon us, so you, like me, will be out there riding. And, inevitably, some of you will pass me on the road. That's ok. But when you pass me, I want you to know that I prefer a gentle "good morning" rather than a loud "on your left!'. The former usually results in a pleasant smile from me; the latter results in me saying something like "on my left? Really? Cus you would have to be retarded to try passing me on the right." You have been warned. :)

Views: 3814

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Umm... Dictionaries DO take in consideration cultural and societal understandings. You're just plain wrong on this part. I'm not saying we can use a dictionary as the final judge and arbiter of what's right and wrong. But dictionaries are useful in helping us establish some ground about what the word means to most people. Here's MW on nigger:

noun
1 usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a black person
2 usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race
3 : a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons
Origin: alteration of earlier neger, from Middle French negre, from Spanish or Portuguese negro, from negro black, from Latin niger.
First use: 1574
Usage: Nigger in senses 1 and 2 can be found in the works of such writers of the past as Joseph Conrad, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens, but it now ranks as perhaps the most offensive and inflammatory racial slur in English. Its use by and among blacks is not always intended or taken as offensive, but, except in sense 3, it is otherwise a word expressive of racial hatred and bigotry.

Rachel K said:

Did the DICTIONARY cop out really just come up???

Dude.

Seriously?

The reason "retarded" is offensive is because of societal and cultural implications, which, drum roll please! the dictionary doesn't take into consideration! N*gger is in the Merriam Webster dictionary too but we don't say it because it's historically been used to stigmatize people and is now considered offensive and racist as fuck! Regardless if you're saying "retarded" or "mentally handicapped" or WHATEVER, the point is you're still using it negatively and society has and continues to treat people that do have disabilities like shit. When you call someone retarded you by extension are demeaning and dismissing people who really do have whatever type of problems. What you're literally doing is trying to offend someone by reducing them to someone who is mentally handicapped.

I wasn't even going to bring it up when I initially responded because I didn't want to veer off topic but your response to Michelle was absolutely 100% asinine.

I think it was defined earlier, but seems there are more emotional definitions to the word than what Dr. Webster has to say.

James BlackHeron said:

Do you even know what the word retard means?

Two things: 1) I respect the fact that you disagree with my use of the word. I could see it the other way. 2) that was an incredibly intelligent and thoughtful reply. Thank you.

Simon Phearson said:

You know, I'm fine with the whole "retarded" taboo; I understand its rationale, I don't feel a "need" to use the word in a way that could potentially hurt others, and I can respect that there are some people who feel very strongly about the hurt that word can cause. 

But I don't feel as strongly about it as I feel about other slurs, whose (hypothetical) use actually makes me feel bad. I'm certainly not inclined to yell about using the word "retarded" online and wish physical harm on people who use the term. It's a rule I'm happy to follow, but not one I'm compelled to defend to the death.

So I've been thinking about why that is. I think it's because it's not hard for me to imagine people using most slurs in a way that corresponds to other hurtful behavior. A racial, homophobic, or sexist slur - I can imagine all the ones I know of being used by people actively trying to hurt someone else with the term, and so I identify that kind of reprehensible action with the word itself. I'm repulsed by the action, and so I'm repulsed by the word. But "retarded" is different - I'm not myself very familiar with instances of people using it to hurt others. The word has almost always been used, in my recollection, by childhood friends, in a joking fashion. 

That's not to say that it's okay to use the word or that it shouldn't be considered a "slur." It's not even to deny that I've been privileged in not hearing the word used that way or not having its harmful use be a part of my life or of the life of a loved one. I'm just talking about why I think I don't feel very strongly about it, concededly, perhaps, as an "outsider."

But you know what I do tend to associate, emotionally, with the "retarded" taboo? It's this kind of shrill, bullying, uncompromising, and ultimately counterproductive rhetoric you've been engaged in. It doesn't make me feel more or less strongly about not using the word, but it does make me feel a little silly for following a rule whose proponents show all of the "sympathy, empathy, [and] critical thinking skills" demonstrated by calling those who use the term "enormous douches" and hoping that they get "slugged" for using it. 

Do you think that Tristan is more likely to learn to be repulsed by the word, because of your advocacy here? Or do you think he's more likely just to learn to expect responses like yours, if he uses it?

Michelle Milham said:

Or, you know, we could just try to have sympathy, empathy, critical thinking skills and the desire not to hurt other people with needless slurs! 

I actually partly agree with you. When I hear racist language used in public, it's a morally important to me that I call it out and do my best to shame the other party, even if they weren't speaking directly to me. I think this is something good people should do. I guess where I disagree is that when we start policing so hard we're resorting to threats of violence, then it's going too far, especially when the morality of the offensive language is more open to debate. A well reasoned argument is usually the best way to "police."

h' 1.0 said:

"Not policing each-other" means basically leaving all policing to uniformed police.

Civilized societies are =always= based on people "policing each-other."

There's some sort of warped neo-conservative idea that's been taking hold for the last few decades that 'freedom' means being as much of a pig as you want to be and somehow nobody else having the 'right' to call you on it.

I think a lot of our current societal woes can be traced back to this attitude.

Chitown_Mike said:

True, but some of the rebuttals seem over the top.  You (general sense, as in anyone not you specifically) have no right to chide another beyond calling out bad manners, expressing your opinion on word usage, and ending it.

That said, is my opinion.  I don't believe in police others to an extent that make word usage issues moral ones, if someone wants to drop whatever "bomb" the last I checked they can, regardless of what others may think.  I try not to use certain words but I don't always achieve that "moral higher ground", but I am also not going to chase someone around who does.

Michelle Milham said:

Or, you know, we could just try to have sympathy, empathy, critical thinking skills and the desire not to hurt other people with needless slurs! 

Chitown_Mike said:

Tristan, welcome to Chicago, where the only opinion that matters or is right is the one shouted loudest.  You have lost, you're wrong, you deserve to be tied to a bag of rocks and thrown into the lake.  The execution will be live broadcast online for all to see he-who-uses-the-words-not-meant-to-be-used expunged from human record.

For any that start to cry, it is called tongue-in-cheek humor, no one is dying.  If that offends you put on your big boy/girl panties....unless you have a bladder/anal problem which in that case wear your Depends.

Tristan Jackson said:

I started it because I think saying good morning is superior than saying on your left in many instances. I also think, in general, being kind to people, including retarded people, is superior to being mean. I don't see using the word retarded to mean stupid as being mean. Difference of opinion?

David Altenburg said:

Tristan Jackson said:

But, regardless everything else, I'm not going to apologize because I refuse to be bullied into speaking a certain way. ... I like when people speaking frankly, honestly, and passionately. 

Didn't you start this thread in order to request that people talk more politely to each other?

Ugghh fine, okay, the dictionary happens to say "usually offensive." But it doesn't say "this is why it's offensive" with a complete rundown of historical context and input from people who do happen to find it offensive. You're nit picking now. And your reply completely neglects to address the rest of what I had to say.

So on that note, I am done participating in this thread, because, as I'm pretty sure we have all established, it's going nowhere. Nobody has any plans to change their minds any time soon.

Tristan Jackson said:

Umm... Dictionaries DO take in consideration cultural and societal understandings. You're just plain wrong on this part. I'm not saying we can use a dictionary as the final judge and arbiter of what's right and wrong. But dictionaries are useful in helping us establish some ground about what the word means to most people. Here's MW on nigger:

noun
2 usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race
Origin: alteration of earlier neger, from Middle French negre, from Spanish or Portuguese negro, from negro black, from Latin niger.
Usage: Nigger in senses 1 and 2 can be found in the works of such writers of the past as Joseph Conrad, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens, but it now ranks as perhaps the most offensive and inflammatory racial slur in English. Its use by and among blacks is not always intended or taken as offensive, but, except in sense 3, it is otherwise a word expressive of racial hatred and bigotry.

Rachel K said:

Did the DICTIONARY cop out really just come up???

Dude.

Seriously?

The reason "retarded" is offensive is because of societal and cultural implications, which, drum roll please! the dictionary doesn't take into consideration! N*gger is in the Merriam Webster dictionary too but we don't say it because it's historically been used to stigmatize people and is now considered offensive and racist as fuck! Regardless if you're saying "retarded" or "mentally handicapped" or WHATEVER, the point is you're still using it negatively and society has and continues to treat people that do have disabilities like shit. When you call someone retarded you by extension are demeaning and dismissing people who really do have whatever type of problems. What you're literally doing is trying to offend someone by reducing them to someone who is mentally handicapped.

I wasn't even going to bring it up when I initially responded because I didn't want to veer off topic but your response to Michelle was absolutely 100% asinine.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. With all this internet drama I need to know one thing: how many handicapped people passed you on the right this weekend?

Also, the stoker honestly gasped IRL when when she read this part of the thread. One thing to throw the R-word out casually, another thing to double down on it when called out, but I'm amazed you would bring it to this level to try and prove a defenseless position.

Tristan Jackson said:

Here's MW on nigger

I am shocked that anyone would use the H-word to describe people with intellectual disabilities.

Tandemonium said:

how many handicapped people

Things that shock h' 1.0:

->H-Word accidentally used instead of ID

Things that do not shock h' 1.0:

->N-word used to defend use of R-word

Nice to see you've got you priorities straight.

h' 1.0 said:

I am shocked that anyone would use the H-word to describe people with intellectual disabilities.

Tandemonium said:

how many handicapped people

I am thinking this is about 40 years out of date.  Of course, I came from an almost all white small town so using as a reference to other ethnic groups was not a option. 

I was more in thinking current usage is like in the movie There's something about Mary, were it refers to mentally challenged individuals only, or that the current individual being spoke about might be mentally challenged.

Personally, I did use the term Passing on the right about 2 times.  In both cases the other person was close to the lane divider on the left and I could not pass on that side, and I wanted to make sure they didn't pull right and into the location I wanted to occupy.

Tristan Jackson said:

noun

If anyone is wondering how to PROPERLY address someone with disabilities, it's just that: 

Person first. 

A person with autism. 

A child with Down Syndrome. 

A girl with one arm. 

Not "autistic" "retarted" "one armed." 

It does not define them. 

Wow.  Since I posted to this thread a few days ago I have received a volume of email indicating that we are no longer talking about passing on the road and how one should or should not warn of  such a pass. I take it that the original poster felt anybody passing on the right was intellectually challenged but he used another term. I did not read an intent to disparage any particular group other than those who pass on the right but still, he used an out of date term that has been seen as offensive to a completely different group that has nothing to do with this thread. Some have compared the use of this term to other terms that have been seen as divisive in our culture. Others have exhibited a thin skin that would be a detriment when riding on a windy day while lashing back at the original poster. I don't know his intent. Perhaps he regrets the use of the term. However, the escalation of the dialogue has created a [hey lets throw out a term that has a lot of loaded meaning here and see what it does :-)] Gaza-esque situation that has made it difficult for anybody to save face and step back. 

My advice to those shooting verbal rockets is to look for alternative word choices and clever ways to say the same thing; to write hot but send cold after you have had a moment or two to reflect.  A poster in this thread has used that tactic very well. James took me to task in another thread. He used his vocabulary and intellect to knock an opinion I had expressed and my reaction was one of appreciation rather than venom. It was never personal. In that regard remember that thing your questioning is the opinion or argument not the person. For example, "X's opinion that blah blah blah is the packed with the intellectual heft of a child held back from advancing past the third grade...for the third time" rather than "X is retarded" or "X is a flaming pile of excrement." Even better, and perhaps leading to a real  discussion might be, "X says blah blah blah but I think dah dah dah because of yada yada yada."

Of course, what do I know? I have been called a re....fuse stocked cranium in the past.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service