The Chainlink

Edit: Use this thread to call attention to any Monday night shows you think are especially worth attending as they approach.

City's page:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/millennium...

The schedule as of 6/11:

Monday, May 27, 2013

Lee Ranaldo Band + Marc Ribot’s Ceramic Dog

6:30 pm

Monday, June 3, 2013

Sharon Van Etten + Speck MountainSharon Van Etten

Monday, June 10, 2013

An Evening with Glen Hansard featuring Lisa Hannigan and members of The Frames

Daniel Lanois

Monday, June 17, 2013

Daniel Lanois + Brokeback

Monday, June 24, 2013

Carolina Chocolate Drops + Angela James

Monday, July 1, 2013The Cairo Gang

Lee Fields & the Expressions + Theo Huff and the Platinum Band

Monday, July 8, 2013

Dawes + The Cairo Gang

Monday, July 15, 2013

AZITAFatoumata Diawara + Alasdair Roberts and Friends

Monday, July 22, 2013

The Handsome Family + AZITA

Monday, July 29, 2013Dessa

DessaPsalm One

===

I freakin' love Glen.  Love love love. Going to see him Sunday at Metro and again

Monday. Can't imagine what would justify not going to see him for free on Monday night.

Recent CBS news feature:

Views: 2796

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dawes was G R E A T.  Hope some of you made it there.

Alasdair Roberts and friends (three-piece folk/guitar/songwritery) was STUNNING yesterday at Square Roots. And Fatoumata Diawara is amazing, too. It's a weird bill at first glance (not as weird when you hear the guitars - or maybe I'm making up that connection myself), but I am definitely riding down tonight. 

I was on track to skip it but I looked them both up on Youtube and decided I'll head down if the heat isn't too horrible.

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

Alasdair Roberts and friends (three-piece folk/guitar/songwritery) was STUNNING yesterday at Square Roots. And Fatoumata Diawara is amazing, too. It's a weird bill at first glance (not as weird when you hear the guitars (or maybe I'm making up that connection myself), but I am definitely riding down tonight. 

Holy crap, that was phenomenal. Hope some of you were out here, too!

Weird that more people don't take advantage of this.

On a related note-- grateful to Grant Park Symphony for a program I don't want to see tomorrow (Show Tunes...) but a heads-up about Friday and Saturday's program-- Saint-Saens Organ Symphony, baby!

(If anyone want to see Friday's performance and already has Pearl Jam tickets, I could probably find a use for them...)

Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony 

Swiss conductor Thierry Fischer leads the Grant Park Orchestra in Frank Martin’s Concerto for Seven Winds, along with French masterpieces by Berlioz and Saint-Saëns.

When

Friday, July 19, 2013, 6:30pm – 7:45pm

Saturday, July 20, 2013, 7:30pm – 8:45pm

Open Rehearsal: Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 3:00pm – 5:30pm

Open Rehearsal: Thursday, July 18, 2013, 10:30am – 1:00pm

Open Rehearsal: Friday, July 19, 2013, 11:00am – 1:30pm

Club 615: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 6:15pm – 7:00pm

Where

Jay Pritzker Pavilion

Who

Grant Park Orchestra
Thierry Fischer, Guest Conductor

What

Berlioz: Overture: King Lear

Martin: Concerto for Seven Winds

Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3, Organ Symphony

Program Notes PDF

2nd to last DTS show tonight, and the one I've been most looking forward to: Azita! and Handsome Family! Not for everyone, but man, if you like incredible songwriting and vocals (and, if Brett and Rennie are on, the most hilarious dark humor stage banter you'll hear), come out tonight. 

Plus, a group of friends and I are picnicking tonight at 5:30, close to front and center, on the grass behind the fence before the show (Azita on at 6:30 and you might want to move into seats if you "like being hit in the face by Azita's songs," as my friend said) - I'd like to invite any and all Chainlinkers to join us - we're a music-loving and friendly, foodie-ish bunch. I am bringing charries and beet salad to share. I'm in a brown tank dress and will have a pannier and helmet with me near the blanket.

Yep! This is the only Can't Miss show of this Downtown Sound season. 

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

2nd to last DTS show tonight, and the one I've been most looking forward to: Azita! and Handsome Family! Not for everyone, but man, if you like incredible songwriting and vocals (and, if Brett and Rennie are on, the most hilarious dark humor stage banter you'll hear), come out tonight. 

Plus, a group of friends and I are picnicking tonight at 5:30, close to front and center, on the grass behind the fence before the show (Azita on at 6:30 and you might want to move into seats if you "like being hit in the face by Azita's songs," as my friend said) - I'd like to invite any and all Chainlinkers to join us - we're a music-loving and friendly, foodie-ish bunch. I am bringing charries and beet salad to share. I'm in a brown tank dress and will have a pannier and helmet with me near the blanket.

Tony, come sit with us. 

Tony Adams 7 mi (dirtbag hipstr) said:

I am going to come over for this. sounds great. I have my brand spankin' new (Chicago Fire Season One) Cast/Crew RED t-shirt on. Where do you park and lock up bikes btw ???

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

I usually park in the bike parking area on the northeast entrance (enter off Randolph, east of the Harris) by the bike station, but there are plenty of folks who either bring bikes in, or lock to fences they can see. 

dan brown said:

I am going to come over for this. sounds great. I have my brand spankin' new (Chicago Fire Season One) Cast/Crew RED t-shirt on. Where do you park and lock up bikes btw ???

Thanks Sarah! If there are seats available, and it is a show I'm really interested in, I will sit in the seats. Especially given that The Screen is apparently not used for every show.

HF were amazing. They seemed to recognize the opportunity they had and pulled out pretty much all their "hits". Rennie was playing... what was that? A bass ukelele? 

The banter was pretty good. My favorite Rennie line was something to the effect of "Birds somehow have the ability to navigate journeys of several thousand miles, and yet they still fly into windows."

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

Tony, come sit with us. 

Tony Adams 7 mi (dirtbag hipstr) said:

HF were terrific!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service