The Chainlink

No lights, no rights. 

Get Lit: Use lights at night (front side)

I will be asking you to donate money by the end of this post. 

I believe that too many people are cycling without headlights. Not only do city and state law require cycling with a white front light at night, it bodes well for your if you are involved in a crash at night. You do not have a case, essentially, and one of our many bike lawyers will concur. 

Active Transportation Alliance has conducted many bike light distributions in the past few years. They do it with donated money. One event was sponsored by Lawyer Jim Freeman, while another even was sponsored by Groupon's G-Team and Groupon purchasers. 

I am introducing you to the Get Lit campaign I've started. This campaign uses a simple website, a fancy postcard, and an appeal to Chainlink members, to raise funds so that Active Transportation Alliance can put on another bike light distribution event. 

Donate now. Thank you. 

Read more:

Bike lights distribution

A Chicagoan gets a headlight during an event in November 2010. 

Views: 1825

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't agree more with this attitude Steve. One of the big issues we have is people who just want "a free light." We never give lights to folks that are just walking along. Last year Alderman Silverstein did advertise her bike light giveaway, but made folks go home and ride to the event, instead of just handing out lights to anyone.

Steven Vance said:

We will keep that date in mind as we (Active Transportation Alliance and I) schedule a time. However, to discourage "freebies", the date and location will be unannounced until hours before the event. 

To others: I've already said it, but I don't believe that cost and availability of lights is a significant factor in whether one who cycles uses a headlight. It's their lack of knowledge about why it's important to use it. It's not intuitive, nor well known, that using a headlight is in one's best interest when cycling at night. 

Chicago Ride of Silence said:

I would love to have a headlight giveaway in conjunction with this year's Ride of Silence on May 16. This Ride ends at or after dusk, and too many riders are not equipped with front headlights.

Thank you for organizing this campaign and for all who help make the roads safer for cyclists.

Thank you for donating, Michelle. As the local bike light karma administrator, I grant you good karma. 

As for "no lights, no rights", I mean exactly what you said, but in a very summary description. Of course you still have rights, but your crash case in a lawsuit becomes harder to defend when you don't have a light. 

Michelle Stenzel said:

I donated just now to start the day with good karma, thankful that I'm at the point in life where I can give to good causes. I also feel a little guilty for taking a free bike light last summer when I saw a giveaway station, even though I have my own lights. Hopefully this will make up for it.

But what do you mean by "No lights, no rights" at the top of your post, Steve? It is the law to have a front and back light, and if you don't have lights and are in a collision, you might be guilty of contributory negligence, but I don't think all your rights are wiped out entirely.

Agreed. We want all cyclists to understand the easy things (like having lights on their bikes) they can do to help keep them safe on the road.

Night of the ROS we encourage riders to come equipped with lights (just in case) - it also announces our procession more prominently to motorists (as any funeral procession is usually a procession of vehicles with their headlights on).

Charlie Short said:

I can't agree more with this attitude Steve. One of the big issues we have is people who just want "a free light." We never give lights to folks that are just walking along. Last year Alderman Silverstein did advertise her bike light giveaway, but made folks go home and ride to the event, instead of just handing out lights to anyone.

Steven Vance said:

We will keep that date in mind as we (Active Transportation Alliance and I) schedule a time. However, to discourage "freebies", the date and location will be unannounced until hours before the event. 

To others: I've already said it, but I don't believe that cost and availability of lights is a significant factor in whether one who cycles uses a headlight. It's their lack of knowledge about why it's important to use it. It's not intuitive, nor well known, that using a headlight is in one's best interest when cycling at night. 

Chicago Ride of Silence said:

I would love to have a headlight giveaway in conjunction with this year's Ride of Silence on May 16. This Ride ends at or after dusk, and too many riders are not equipped with front headlights.

Thank you for organizing this campaign and for all who help make the roads safer for cyclists.

You are spot on!  Finally someone states a plausible reason instead of attributing it to stupidity and ignorance.

Steven Vance said:

A major, and understandable, excuse is that people don't know they should have a light and why they should have one. 

It's not intuitive to people that they should have lights while bicycling. The operator can see, can't others see them?

There are many other excuses: lost, stolen, broken, and dead batteries. 

HALF of Get Lit is providing good headlights, and HALF of Get Lit is education those who receive them. 

James BlackHeron said:

Ace Hardware across from the Congress on Milwaukee is selling blinkies for like $2.99 each.  There really is no excuse for not having a bike light.  If you can afford a PBR then you can afford a GD light 

+1

LarryO said:

You are spot on!  Finally someone states a plausible reason instead of attributing it to stupidity and ignorance.

Steven Vance said:

A major, and understandable, excuse is that people don't know they should have a light and why they should have one. 

It's not intuitive to people that they should have lights while bicycling. The operator can see, can't others see them?

There are many other excuses: lost, stolen, broken, and dead batteries. 

HALF of Get Lit is providing good headlights, and HALF of Get Lit is education those who receive them. 

James BlackHeron said:

Ace Hardware across from the Congress on Milwaukee is selling blinkies for like $2.99 each.  There really is no excuse for not having a bike light.  If you can afford a PBR then you can afford a GD light 

Not everyone that foregoes a front headlight is an unsafe noob. I prefer cross traffic cars don't see me at night (I even pull my front reflector). It's easier to ride when the assumption is that no one sees you, and won't make any changes on what they are doing. It's 100% on me to never be in a situation were someone even has the chance to hit me. I go through intersections with cross traffic all the time and have never had a problem. The cars don't even notice I was there. If you could actually break down accident statistics for cyclists starting from a dead stop and going through an intersection as opposed to never stopping and crossing every intersection in a few seconds. I think you are much safer never stopping. As they say, this is highly debatable.

Think about it though. If, every time you bike you spend the least amount of time in dangerous situations (either in an intersection or next to traffic), you are inherently safer. I don't think a light improves your odds much if you are the type of rider that spends most of their riding time in dangerous situations.

If I always stopped at lights and rode with traffic the majority of the time and spent 30 seconds to get through every intersection I started from a dead stop on; I would have lights, a helmet and a chest protector.  Because keeping your noodle intact with a helmet doesn't do much for you when your internal organs are mush and the nature of your riding is putting you in harms way more often than not.

A rear light is another story. I generally don't ever ride in traffic where I think a rear light would help. I don't like cars coming up behind me and never faster than I'm riding. If I'm not ahead of traffic I either use the middle divider or get off the road (day or night). I did buy my son a rear light because I just didn't think he understood all the rules I use. I've been riding in Chicago at night for over 30 years and can't recall any close calls or even pissing off too many drivers and I've never come close to hitting a pedestrian or being doored. If that is happening to you then you should maybe sell your bike.

To each his own though. I don't judge. Although, if you are riding some Holland type basket cruiser in city traffic with lights and a helmet and signaling cars all your motives, I'm going to assume you have really good insurance and no kids.

You're the second person that says they ride without lights, for about the same reason. 

If I can't convince you to donate on the the principle that drivers will see you better, thus increasing the likelihood of avoiding colliding with you, then perhaps I can convince you to get behind Get Lit because if you are in a collision at night without a headlight, you may be given a ticket and a tougher time defending yourself in court (should it go there). 

Matt Donohue said:

Not everyone that foregoes a front headlight is an unsafe noob. I prefer cross traffic cars don't see me at night (I even pull my front reflector). It's easier to ride when the assumption is that no one sees you, and won't make any changes on what they are doing. It's 100% on me to never be in a situation were someone even has the chance to hit me. I go through intersections with cross traffic all the time and have never had a problem. The cars don't even notice I was there. If you could actually break down accident statistics for cyclists starting from a dead stop and going through an intersection as opposed to never stopping and crossing every intersection in a few seconds. I think you are much safer never stopping. As they say, this is highly debatable.

Think about it though. If, every time you bike you spend the least amount of time in dangerous situations (either in an intersection or next to traffic), you are inherently safer. I don't think a light improves your odds much if you are the type of rider that spends most of their riding time in dangerous situations.

Matt,

How do you know that a car coming towards you won't decide to dart left at the last second without signaling or slowing much?  I don't think I could ride like you knowing every car passing to your left could be turning left and not knowing for sure until they pass by.

I have seen many people turn left like this and it would be pretty hard to react quickly enough if a car were to suddenly break left thinking the way was clear.

Are you a driver?

Well, that's on me to be ready for that. I typically never go straight through an intersection ever.

I mean never- even with no cars. I always do a S curve through cross traffic and a reverse C for oncomming traffic if that makes sense. The car would not have time to hit me if he wanted to. I mean, if the car is going so fast that's not really an option I would not put myself in the intersection at the same time. I would time it different. The whole idea I have is reducing the total time you are ever at mercy of someone else driving 4,000lbs of distraction. I don't want blinkers to try and wake them up.

I'm not saying Steven's idea is bad and I would donate. It is the right choice for some people. Not all.

I just sometimes think there are safer ways to ride and those don't always conform to laws. If you are hit by a car in Chicago, there is 1/3 chance it's a hit and run. So, having a light because you think you need to sue someone is not really a seller for me.

James BlackHeron said:

Matt,

How do you know that a car coming towards you won't decide to dart left at the last second without signaling or slowing much?  I don't think I could ride like you knowing every car passing to your left could be turning left and not knowing for sure until they pass by.

I have seen many people turn left like this and it would be pretty hard to react quickly enough if a car were to suddenly break left thinking the way was clear.

Are you a driver?

It's not just intersections.  

It's driveways, alleys, even a car that decides to do a U-turn because the driver thinks the way is clear because he can't see you.

Do you drive your car around without headlights too for the same reasons?

Hi Steven,

I'm not trying to be contrarian or rant or jack your thread. It's a good thing you are doing and I support it. People should leave a little room for the 10-20% that have different ideas about what is 'safest' though.

I only developed my own rules after years and years of cycling although, the majority of my these were from when I biked during college near the massively trafficked Gold Coast area delivering videos during rush hour and at night. I rode a bike most times then with no brakes or reflectors and it was painted black (I'm older and wiser now). I hit a few rear ends of cabs and was t-boned once (doing a full somersault and landing still on my bike). I have not had any drama since mostly because the crazy and energy level has dropped a few notches. Right now I think I ride hyper safe. Safer than most 'safe' people would know. 

My biggest fear was that my son was using his mp3 player when he biked. Not something I could stomach. Ears are as important as eyes. I sort of question aerodynamic helmets for this reason. I don't like any thing to f* with my hearing. I've never even tried a helmet on when riding though so I can't comment. I can't wear hats or glasses when I bike because they are so distracting.

Steven Vance said:

You're the second person that says they ride without lights, for about the same reason. 

If I can't convince you to donate on the the principle that drivers will see you better, thus increasing the likelihood of avoiding colliding with you, then perhaps I can convince you to get behind Get Lit because if you are in a collision at night without a headlight, you may be given a ticket and a tougher time defending yourself in court (should it go there). 

Matt Donohue said:

I think you just want to be the neg in my reply. When I said I've never hit a pedestrian or been doored or ever had any close call with a car, it's because I'm always hyper aware of whats going on and taking precautions. Aggressive driving as the sixth grade driver ed vids explained. I'm not some train that needs a light to clear the tracks. I don't have a fog horn on my bike.

James BlackHeron said:

It's not just intersections.  

It's driveways, alleys, even a car that decides to do a U-turn because the driver thinks the way is clear because he can't see you.

Do you drive your car around without headlights too for the same reasons?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service