The Chainlink

this is a crazy notion, i know, but ive been, for some time, considering getting a bus. i dont need a bus for regular use, but its nice to have for group rides, excursions, etc. seems that plenty of bike clubs have one available.

im wondering if there are enough people that might be interested in goin in together on a short bus, around 30 capacity, around $3000. maybe 5 or 6 partners?

examples:

http://www.midwesttransit.com/Bus-Search_Results.asp?New=Y&a0=1...

Views: 881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"

However, if you are driving a vehicle that transports more than 10 passengers, a school bus, a commuter van, a religious organization bus, or a child care vehicle, you must be at least 21 years old and meet the following requirements:

• You must have had a valid driver's license for at least three years prior to the date of your application.
  • You must be able to demonstrate your ability to safely drive the vehicle.

Any vehicle that is designed to transport 16 or more passengers automatically requires a CDL. For additional information, contact your nearest Secretary of State office or download a copy of the Illinois Commercial Driver's Manual."
http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/special-licenses.php

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Short Bus may refer to:

• Short Bus, a shorter school bus generally used for transporting mentally and/or physically disabled people to school so as to be educated in special programs in the United States
I do like the idea iggy. I do think a communally owned or used van or bus is needed.

would 'thechainlink' be interested in co-ownership? im sure there would be much use for it. and it can have a spot for the logo on it!

rumor has it that if its not for hire, youre fine without a cdl.

Liz said:

"

However, if you are driving a vehicle that transports more than 10 passengers, a school bus, a commuter van, a religious organization bus, or a child care vehicle, you must be at least 21 years old and meet the following requirements:

• You must have had a valid driver's license for at least three years prior to the date of your application.
  • You must be able to demonstrate your ability to safely drive the vehicle.

Any vehicle that is designed to transport 16 or more passengers automatically requires a CDL. For additional information, contact your nearest Secretary of State office or download a copy of the Illinois Commercial Driver's Manual."
http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/special-licenses.php

I think this is a great idea. I would be happy to make a donation so the chainlink can own a portion. There are so many of us who don't have cars, and we could drive it to all these suburban start centuries.

I'd rather get on this bus.

But would you rather travel 60 miles on that?

Juan said:

I'd rather get on this bus.

I thought that the CDL requirement for >16 passengers was for commercial "for hire" purposes or official organizations like a church or school.   At least that is the way it was back in the day up in Wisconsin.  I was involved with Drum & Bugle Corps in the 1980's and nobody needed a CDL unless the vehicle was equipped with air brakes.   That's why I needed one when I was driving a line truck for a contractor back in the late 90's.

Air brakes are the barrier for a CDL in most cases -or if the vehicle is being used "for hire."   So avoid anything so large as to need air brakes.

Try and get a diesel-engine bus.  They get MUCH better fuel economy and  the engines last much longer with fewer expensive repairs.  

Avoid getting any diesel vehicle that has been parked for more than a few years.  There was a fuel switchover to ULSD fuel in 2006 and many older mechanical diesel  injector pumps went out because of this reformulation.  The O-rings didn't like the reformulation and promptly failed destroying the injector pump.  Diesel injector pumps are not cheap to rebuild when they are bad.  The last time I had one done in 2007 it was $600 for just the rebuild from Midwest Fuel Injection Service in Palatine and that was just the pump that I dropped off and picked up for a rebuild.  I did all the rest of the work myself removing/re-installing.  

Most of the ULSD changeover damage is behind us but there are still a few vehicles that have been parked for the last 5-6 years that are time-bombs waiting to go off.

so, i have two people that are definitely interested, 3 including me.  anyone else?

There are many bus for hire companies that come with a driver.  No worries about maintenance, fueling, insurance, registration, parking, etc etc

and the rates are outrageous most of the time, availability is slim, not reasonable for impromptu or smaller trips, parking is already addressed, etc etc

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service