See it to your right? Just curious here.. What is the single biggest donation the chainlink has received so far?

Views: 394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did Howard post something and then delete it? There is a disconnect in the beginning of the thread.
I think I can guess what it was from the context.

I'm cool with your $0 donation.  I'm sure ownership is too. 

Do I think your post is dickish?  Yeah.  But hey, that's just my opinion.

That's the problem with the written word; sometimes intent (inflection, facial expression, etc.) doesn't come through.  Then all this sh*t starts.

Oh well, everybody have a good weekend and happy cycling.

Here's to hopefully a warm & sunny weekend.

M.A.R.K. said:

You're right, I have donated $0.00.. It has been talked about before, in the humble beginnings of this site. I Would gladly donate/contribute to operating costs of an ad free site(or even a site that ran ads by local businesses, shops, etc.) vs. ad generating and info sharing money machine that is the NING network/platform.

I fail to see how my genuine curiosity demands such responses like, "I get it-- this is like a test to see how Julie handles dickish posts now that Leah is out of the picture?" from site moderators. You gotta give respect to get it. And up until now, I had great respect(for the most part)for this site, and it's mods. Again, I did not ask what the financials are or how much profit is being made, I really don't give a crap cause I do not donate. If I did, it would be more along the lines of what CHucko said. I saw the donate button and was simply curious to what the single highest donation that the site had received. But I guess being curious is far to taboo in this arena.

in it to win it said:

Since M.A.R.K. just now noticed the "donate" button, I suspect he has paid $0.00 for this service so far.  That's a helluva deal!

Nothing in the disclaimer page says they are trying to lose money...

I think it's dickish to assume someone has bad intent from a simple question that comes from curiosity. It shows someone's character when they make assumptions about the intent of others and assume it to be negative.

It's a pet peve of mine and there are some people are here that are very good at it.

If I assumed that something you said had ill intentions unless it was crystal clear, how would that make you feel? It is the equivalent of me calling you a liar, cheat, and no good person without something to back it up.

It's a horrible thing, don't do it.

...also think about people who have donated their time and resources. What's that to ya?

M.A.R.K. - At this point the highest donation has been $100, which I hope will grow as the site grows.  Once we are out of the red I have many community donation projects that I plan to implement.

Thank you to everyone who has generously donated their time and money so far. I'm looking forward to keeping the site going so we can continue to share information and become the best bike community in the country.

If anyone has additional comments or questions on donating, please email me.

From previous conversations, I understand that's it's maybe anathema to Leah/Julie's vision for the site, but for what it's worth, I've talked with a number of local businesses who have interest in advertising here.

I can make an accurate judgement about the thread. If there are more deleted posts, please bring them forward. I also read M.A.R.K.'s posting history going back to December and do not see him stirring up problems either.

All I'm saying is that polite and civil society asks that you bring proof for your accusations. Else it is inappropriate to bring them.

H3N3 said:

I'm sorry Adam, you don't know enough in this situation to make an accurate judgement.

My issue is that "donation" is misleading to use for a for profit enterprise. You can not get a tax write-off for "donating" to a for profit.

Chainlink doesn't want to be nonprofit but the nonprofit hassles it cites create accountability and transparency, which have their role in a community.

If Chainlink needs support from users then it would be more accurate to suggest an optional fee for service payment.

At the very least, Chainlink should have a disclaimer on the donation page that it is not a 501c3 so "donations" are not tax exempt.

I simply feel that if you regularly partake in forums like this and visit the site often, and if you feel that is worth something to you, donate what you want.  I know enough to say maintaining websites costs money, and more importantly, time.  I don't know Julie personally but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet she's not using donation money to party at the club on weekends or something.  I never looked at it any other way, nor have I ever felt forced or guilted into donating -- which I appreciate.

To be completely honest I have yet to donate, but that is because I am partly unable and partly refusing to use PayPal.  I find their company disgusting to put it lightly, but that's for another thread.  I contacted Julie via a private message before the holidays about maybe using WePay in addition to PayPal, so if there were any other people out there like me there might be an (slight) uptick in donation money.

Haven't heard back from her since then really, but I figured this was as good a time as any to see if there was wider interest in this and bring it to Julie's attention.  

This was cool to know - Aaron & I donated because this is the sight that introduced us (awwww) and we formed some great friendships from (double awwww.) I always love seeing how generous we all are & participating.

Keep up the great work Julie & volunteers and keep up the great work chainlinkers.

:)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service