The Chainlink

Hello All,

I'm admittedly new to the community, but Julie H. told me this group is amazingly diverse and very (hopefully) willing to offer their honest opinions on issues in the Cycling community.

Here's a little background. I'm a reporter from RedEye, and I'm looking into what seems to be a more controversial issue than most people thing: Actually wearing a helmet. I've heard from some great people on both sides, but in the interest of a balanced perspective, I would love to hear from some folks who choose NOT to wear a helmet. I've seen some people say it's a vanity/comfort issue, and others who question the effectiveness of the practice.

Whatever the case, I would be very interested to hear your opinions on the issue. I can be reached most quickly at mswasko@tribune.com. Also, if you have comments you'd like to post in the thread, I will be watching.

Thank you all very much for your help.

mick

Views: 5621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am never accidentally obtuse -that would be puerile.  Instead, I aim to be audaciously impertinent.  

notoriousDUG said:

Don't be obtuse on purpose just because you enjoy being contrary.

SlyRed said:

OK, I'm going to tell the truth and be flamed!  I almost never wear a helmet.  Why?  Because I don't want to and that is my choice.  I like having personal choices.  But, just for the record, I am not an urban rider.

Hmmm . . . I guess for us non-wearers "Because I don't want to." is about as nuanced as it gets.  Not trying to be a smart-ass, that's just how I feel about it.

Red

Zoetrope said:

There have been some really thoughtful replies here, but leave it to RedEye to pick the least nuanced post to use for their story.  I don't know why I expected anything different...

Mick Swasko said:

I'd love to talk with you. I'm at mswasko@tribune.com if you could send me your contact info. 

Davo said:

I also don't wear a helmet. No reason other than I don't want to wear one. I was actually asked the other day by another cyclist on why I don't wear one. I said no reason, he said well it is a nice day. It seems odd to me for some people who don't wear helmets 100% of the time to advocate for helmet use. But thats nothing for me to get cranky about. In my opinion, you should either wear one 100% or not 100% with the only execptions being trail riding, racing, or training.

I was specifically aiming for the least-nuanced appellation, and feel disdain in the fact that it wasn't awarded to one of my own posts.

I'd include infrastructure, or lack thereof, in there someplace.  As others have mentioned, the difference in levels of safety in a bike-friendly city vs. a bike-unfriendly city is enormous.   I feel safer riding through Amsterdam half-drunk on a broken bike with no helmet after leaving my hat on a bed than I do riding through the Loop during the day in any condition.

Jeff Schneider said:

As a cyclist, I think my safety depends on (in order of importance):

1) Awareness/judgement/experience; i.e., ability to anticipate and avoid potential accidents;

2) Luck (you can't control the actions of others);

3) Bicycle maintenance (working brakes are nice!);

4) Helmet.

I wear a helmet, because for me there is really no disadvantage (I find it comfortable) and at least a small potential advantage if my head hits a windshield or the pavement.  However, understanding the small role it plays in my safety, when I travel and rent a bike, I am perfectly comfortable riding in traffic without one.

I'm pro-choice on headgear as well. ;)

The thing that makes me laugh is smokers who rave about other people not wearing a bike helmet.  

Seriously, talk about misplaced attitudes towards risk-management!

There's a catch 22. It will probably always be best to wear a helmet in Chicago until it's as safe to ride here as it is in, say, Amsterdam, where nobody wears them. And a big part of the reason it's so safe to ride in Amsterdam is that there are so many bicyclists that motorists have no choice but to notice them and drive safely. But Chicago may never reach reach the same bicycle mode share as Amsterdam until it's safe enough here that you can just hop on your bike and go, without worrying about wearing a helmet.

- John Greenfield, GridChicago.com

"Cuz I don't wanna" is not a valid answer for anything, especially if you're an adult.    

SlyRed said:

Hmmm . . . I guess for us non-wearers "Because I don't want to." is about as nuanced as it gets.  Not trying to be a smart-ass, that's just how I feel about it.

Red

My great-grandfather lived to be 103 years old.  

Wanna know why?  Because he knew when to mind his own business.   "Cuz I don't wanna" is ALWAYS a valid answer and pestering is a sure sign of someone NOT being an adult and respecting other's choices. 

Zoetrope said:

"Cuz I don't wanna" is not a valid answer for anything, especially if you're an adult.    

SlyRed said:

Red

I thought that is the point of becoming an adult. If you don't want to do something, and weigh the conciquences you can decide for yourself. When you are a kid parents tell what you can and can't do. No that I am an adult I decide that for myself. Maybe I need to write an essay explaining that my choice not to wear a helmet can be as simple as not wanting to wear one.     

Zoetrope said:

SlyRed said:

Red

I won't mention my personal preferences, but when I was doing research for the Ride of Silence flier I noticed that in many of the news reports about bike fatalities the reporter felt it was necessary to mention whether or not the victim was wearing a helmet.  Sometime this vein of reporting seemed kind of  accusatory:  "There was helmet found at the scene but no reports as to whether the victim was wearing it during the crash"   This struck me as similar to the idea of placing blame on a rape victim because she happened to be wearing a short skirt.   Juan, this might be something interesting to include in your article. Is the larger community perception (outside of cyclists) that a cyclist is irresponsible to choose not to wear a helmet and thus shares responsibility in any injuries they might sustain while cycling?  What a scary idea that is!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service