The Chainlink

Just got this email, so don't plan to ride Divvy home today:

Good morning.

Due to the weather, we will temporarily close Divvy at 12:00PM on Thursday, January 2, 2014 to protect the safety of our members and staff. No bikes can be rented after the temporary closure has begun, though any bikes in use at the time can be returned to any Divvy station with an available dock.

If you have any question about whether the system is open or closed, please call to speak with a Member Service Representative at 1-855-55-DIVVY (553-4889). You can also find the latest updates on the
Divvy website, Facebook, and Twitter. Members will also be informed of closure and re-opening via email.

In December, we served nearly 45,000 trips, and we're looking forward to serving many more this winter.

Thank you again for your support and understanding.  

- The Divvy Team and the Chicago Department of Transportation

Divvy is Chicago's newest transit system with thousands of bikes available to you 24/7. With hundreds of stations across the city, Divvy is convenient, fast, fun, and affordable.

Visit DivvyBikes.com or find us on FacebookTwitterInstagram, or Tumblr

Forward this email

This email was sent to x by info@divvybikes.com |  

Divvy | 711 SE Grand | Portland | OR | 97214

Views: 7785

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First of all, let's talk about this idea of an "entitlement." I paid good money for my Divvy service. I paid a negligible annual fee and an insanely massive amount through my tax dollars that in the real world (the private sector) would have provided for an attendant to be present today at each Divvy station to assist me with my rental and to provide me with a mint to sooth my sweet tooth. Divvy is *NOT* an entitlement like those brought on by whining and hollow speeches from clever politicians -- it is a service for which many of us have paid more than a fair amount and which we rightfully deserve to have delivered. Maybe they were serving free Tazo this morning at Starbucks because it feels like the tea party has taken over this thread with all this misplaced entitlement bashing.

Second, I agree that Divvy should shut down in inclement weather. For example, if the weather is so bad that a gust of wind might sail me to the curb, I can appreciate the need for Divvy to shut down. But today, where is the extreme inclement weather? Is it the typical winter snow we're having right now? Maybe some people here have recently moved up here from Miami because most of the locals I know don't get so bothered by a foot of snow. The streets are more than clear enough for cycling, they have been, and they will be. Please, someone mention where in Chicago they think it's so bad that cycling is impossible because I know some people here would be up for the challenge.

My speculation of the real issue here is Divvy setting a precedent that they can willy-nilly shut down the system because of purely financial motivations. Divvy isn't making much profit during the winter because there aren't (m)any tourists or weekend riders feeding the kiosks with fresh credit cards. It is only us dedicated, annual members who have prepaid our memberships in full with no opportunity for refund. We generate little or no revenue for Divvy but bring significant costs in keeping the system going (costs which have been more than covered by the 5 year contract, mind you). Shutting down Divvy on a whim at any sign of snow (or rain, just wait) will mean pure windfall financial gain for Alta and their politically-connected enablers.

Whether some of you like it or not, commuting is an essential part of life for many people. Many of us prefer to ride Divvy bicycles. Some of us have discovered how capable the Divvy tank-like bicycles are during the winter (or how much of a better workout they are during the summer). Please don't discriminate against Divvy riders. Most of us regulars are actually very good and courteous cyclists. How would you feel if CDOT banned all bicycles from the streets on a typical winter day like today? I bet many of you would be singing a different tune.

Finally, my shut down notice stating the system will be closed at 12:00pm today, came at 12:17pm today. I understand that email servers sometimes need to queue large mailings but this is 2014 and there aren't that many members. So it suggests this was a very rash decision. I'm not entirely sure what to make of timing. However, I do think it suggests Divvy is not a reliable method of transportation on which someone can rely. I find that most unfortunate because for me that was its most compelling feature.

PS. I don't mean to imply everyone drinks Starbucks. McDonalds has much better coffee.

I agree with Tom. I don't believe that my complaints come from a sense of entitlement — only concern for myself and fellow Divvyers. I for one am getting sick of the term "entitlement" getting thrown around every time someone has a compliant or concern — warranted or not.

+1

ad said:

Divvy made it clear months ago that they had they reserved the right to suspend service temporarily "in very extreme weather."  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-10-29/news/chi-city-hall-di...

How is this a surprise to anyone here now??

While a predicted lake effect snow storm that could dump up to a foot of snow (on top of the 6 inches we already have received in the past 24 hours) and up to 25 mph winds may not be "extreme" to some, it's not like they shut down for a predicted light dusting.  In fact, though we've already had more than a few snow storms, this is the first time they've shut down--suggesting they'll only do so if its predicted to be serious.  

I, for one, intend to cut them some slack.  

It should be noted that when I rode Divvy this morning, the station looked like this: http://i.imgur.com/HO0gLpP.jpg and I had no problem getting the bike out of the dock.

Tom D., I'm always impressed with your well thought out posts. What a horrible precedent Divvy has set. I can understand not keeping up with jockeying bikes around if the weather makes it impossible, but on a day like today how many bikes had to be shuttled? I can't understand shutting the whole show down with the press of a button for a dusting of powder. I'd thought perhaps Divvy could be an alternative to the clown bike I commute on every day (Dahon folder), but I'd sure hate to get off the train and stare at a locked up bike.

Firstly, the thing about entitlement is that one takes the privilege for granted like it always & has existed. Therefore ergo, everyone who disagrees with must be wrong.
Secondly, get real about the rain statement. How many times this summer did we get some serious rainfall & Divvy stopped running? Yeah, crickets, I thought so. Now if you look around the country thrre are areas where they do close highways for periods of time due to snow. Cut Divvy & each other a little skack. Current weather conditions are extreme. Think about it. Hazardous road conditions, maybe even networking issues within the system to keep the stations functioning. Do you think Divvy likes losing money & getting bad press? I kinda doubt it. The reality is they are still a young company & I tend to think they would love to resolve these issues & will hopefully learn smoe thongs here. That said dome folks just liketo complain about somebody else to feel better. Have fun!

Does anyone know if Divvy will be giving a small refund for the days we are not able to use the service? I just signed up for the year last week.

@Jennifer on the lake...maybe. Those folks are out there with snow shovels. It is probably really, really ridiculously tough towork on/in the kiosks right now too . Be patient with them. I would hazard a guess they want to fix this ASAP too.
Did you actually activate your membership? If not, you haven't lost anything. If so you can always email them & ask if they canido anything for you. If the shutdown only lasts for a day or two...that would amountbto maybe a dollar. Good luck with that. As I said before this is probably extreme weather related & not going to happen very often. That said I have been wrong before...

El Dorado said:

Does anyone know if Divvy will be giving a small refund for the days we are not able to use the service? I just signed up for the year last week.

Carrie, every time Comcast cable goes down I call and get a few days credit. A dollar is a dollar and I'm going to call Divvy tomorrow and get the scoop.

No kidding. Over the next few years Divvy will get city-wide coverage including places that don't have good CTA coverage. Those same places tend to have almost no cabs. I'd hate to see people get stranded for no good reason.

Thomas Bruzan said:

but I'd sure hate to get off the train and stare at a locked up bike.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service